Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 06:32 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times

Advertisements

Has this ever happened to you?

Hired as a subcontractor / contract labor, when you're clearly employed???

You as the worker, hold all the liability, without much control of the situation. Hey, no taxes and all that other crap withheld from your check. You get a much bigger check. But you have to pay taxes on your 1099's & deposits minus the paper trails for overhead expenses.

The business, has less overhead, rules and regulations, that are associated with an employee on the books, that adds to the bottom line. Nor do they have a fear of union organization.

If you had a choice and your employer is doing like a lot of employers and turning all their workforce into "contract labor" would you like it or hate it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 06:54 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,080,222 times
Ahhh yes! The looming consequences of Obamacare. Any business that can get away with workers as a 'sub-contractor', will. Welcome to the sea of Sched. 'C' and 1099 users.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:03 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
They will ALWAYS find a way around the system, just like I've always said here.

For example, I'm in the process of selling a hotel we've had for numerous years. Rather than pay capital gains taxes on the property, we are doing a lease with option contract, with a suitable down payment, and a buyout at the end, lower than the price we paid for the hotel. We will then refinance the property, using the lease as accounts receivables, and set it up so that income covers the debt. Since borrowed money isnt taxable, I wont have any tax liabilities at any period during the transaction. I get my property sold now, all tax free.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:21 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,080,222 times
A person I know owns a barber/hair style shop. Went from 14 employees to 14 sub-contractors. They now rent the chair for the day. No more SS payments, health care/obamacare worries, income tax with hold & quarterly payments, sick day pay, holiday pay, vacation pay. If they don't show up for work, it's their problem.
Real Estate brokers and many other businesses have been doing this for years.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:22 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,862,292 times
Vast majority of my jobs are on 1099.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:29 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
How do small business owners protect themselves otherwise.
There are mandates coming down the road that will hit them in additional tax payments.
And they will be stuck with those payments.

Can't say that I blame them..small business is in no better shape then the middle class.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:36 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post

Hired as a subcontractor / contract labor, when you're clearly employed???

You as the worker, hold all the liability, without much control of the situation. Hey, no taxes and all that other crap withheld from your check. You get a much bigger check. But you have to pay taxes on your 1099's & deposits minus the paper trails for overhead expenses.

The business, has less overhead, rules and regulations, that are associated with an employee on the books, that adds to the bottom line. Nor do they have a fear of union organization.

If you had a choice and your employer is doing like a lot of employers and turning all their workforce into "contract labor" would you like it or hate it?
That is pretty much an "Underground Economy", which we have had for a long time and it is growing. Even with 1099s, the enforcement of collecting the taxes is difficult, even when caught, what can be retrieved? I have worked in that environment in the past, and the temptation to ignore the taxes is very hard to resist.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:40 AM

16 posts, read 28,826 times
I would be OK with 1099 - I would try to negotiate some flexibililty/control though with that kind of arrangement.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:45 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post

My husband worked as an independent contractor for many years until a buy out from a company that demanded all be employees.
Sure, there was more paperwork at tax time but it worked out well for us.

There are very specific rules dictating who can and cannot be considered an employee. There are many many types of businesses for whom it won't work.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:48 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,081,465 times
For my company, this is how we do it and have for a few years already. the only people that receive salary is the partners, anyone else who does work for us are 1099'd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies