Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 11:48 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,245,072 times

Advertisements

It isn't an entitlement, it is a ponzi-scheme.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 12:05 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,132,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
entitlement is a dirty word used by politicians to create further divisions among people.

i pay into social security my whole life. when i reach 65 or whatever the age is, i pull out what i paid in my whole life.

if i go to the bank and deposit money week after week, one would assume i have the right to pull that money out when i need it.

social security is more like insurance then anything else.

there is no such thing as an entitlement that you have to pay into your whole life to get.

an entitlement is something handed to you like food stamps or a 75,000 year job for a dropout(walker relative).
Social security is an entitlement. You paid into the social security system all your life; therefore, you are entitled to receive benefits.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:33 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,949,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
...well, if you only were to get back exactly what you paid in, yes it wouldn't be an entitlement...just whip out that pesky calculator and you'll see, you get back way, way more than you put it...=...entitlement..
Try including interest on that money the government has collected and never forget many people do not live long enough to collect or do not collect all their money. Yes, many do get back more than they paid in but that is the deal the Government made and if they want to change the deal for people just starting out then that is fine but for those that have paid into it for all their lives that is not an option, period. FYI, when it comes to living longer, that is not entirely true, only the wealthy are living a lot longer, the working class have not made as big of gains and the poor die as fast as they ever have.
Casper

Old 08-08-2011, 07:52 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,319,393 times
I find it interesting that people think they can invest in their own retirement fund and make it grow but discount the fact that the government could/should be able to do the same thing with the money they collect for S.S. But they don't. They started putting the S.S. funds collected into the general fund when the Baby Boomers started contributing instead of investing it. So now we'll left with the government's poor management decision not to invest. If they had kept those funds collected invested and in a lock box just for S.S. we'd have plenty to go around for all the hardworking people who paid faithfully into the system.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:04 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,180,106 times
Quote:
i pay into social security my whole life. when i reach 65 or whatever the age is, i pull out what i paid in my whole life.
Assuming you live long enough to collect all of it.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:52 AM

277 posts, read 519,338 times
This whole 'entitlement' thing has bothered me for a long time - I might be the first one in my family to actually collect social security - father died at 46, mom died at 53, my older brother died at 61 and here I am at 63 just struggling to live to 66 (that's what ss told me was my retirement age). I think (just my opinion) that a good majority of people die before they reach retirement .... and they 'donated' all that money over the years to those lucky enough to live long enough.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:18 AM

16,679 posts, read 15,688,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
Oh, and lets not forget the guy, where the only thing wrong with him is, that he can't read .. 32 years old, collecting his little $500.00 a month check .. Imagine that ..

No Entitlements here .. Oh wait
That's not the same thing. Disability money does not come from the Social Security trust fund, even though it is administered by the Social Security Administration. SSI or Disability is not paid based on what one has paid in because what is paid in DOES go into the Social Security Trust Fund.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:26 AM

572 posts, read 1,611,474 times
Quote:
entitlement is a dirty word used by politicians to create further divisions among people.

i pay into social security my whole life. when i reach 65 or whatever the age is, i pull out less than what i paid in my whole life.

if i go to the bank and deposit money week after week, one would assume i have the right to pull that money out when i need it.

social security is more like insurance then anything else.

there is no such thing as an entitlement that you have to pay into your whole life to get.

an entitlement is something handed to you like food stamps or a 75,000 year job for a dropout(walker relative).
Fixed that for ya. (sit down sometime and calculate how much better off you'd be if your social security taxes went into an IRA)

And if you think social security isn't an entitlement program then call up the Social Security office and ask them what your "balance" is in your social security acccount. It $0.00 regardless of how much you've paid into it. There is no money in it. You pay social security taxes which are 100% used to pay out benefits to others. It's income redistribution and most definately an entitlement program.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:28 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,595,845 times
$1 in / $3 out = political math

Old 08-08-2011, 11:30 AM

995 posts, read 1,116,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
Oh, and lets not forget the guy, where the only thing wrong with him is, that he can't read .. 32 years old, collecting his little $500.00 a month check .. Imagine that ..

No Entitlements here .. Oh wait
This isn't SS, it's most likely disability payments. And if he cannot read, there must be a damn good reason for his being on disability, which isn't that easy to qualify for. Eye problems? Dyslexia? Serious learning disabilities?
You don't know. It's easy to slam people when you don't know or care enough to find out what problems they may have. Sympathy and empathy are foreign concepts anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies