Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2010, 12:45 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,117 times

Advertisements

There was a story on our local news about a woman who lost her job, couldn't find another one after two years of searching,and was put on Social Security Disability. She technically had no disabilitybut was put on the program anyway. She get's $2500 a month. This is too much. Many people who work hard after taxes are taken out do not make this much. This is a slap in the face to low (and even mid) level workers. SS disability should pay lower than a minimum wage job.

This woman has since gotten cancer and has been rejected by Medicaid because she makes too much money on disability to qualify. I am sorry the woman has cancer. Yet I did respect the Medicaid officer for saying "we have a line in the sand and she is over the line". There is something twisted in the first place that SS Disability pays so much that it can put you over the Medicaid limit. Social Security disability payments need to be lowered.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 12:55 AM

1,928 posts, read 3,644,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
There was a story on our local news about a woman who lost her job, couldn't find another one after two years of searching,and was put on Social Security Disability. She technically had no disabilitybut was put on the program anyway. She get's $2500 a month. This is too much. Many people who work hard after taxes are taken out do not make this much. This is a slap in the face to low (and even mid) level workers. SS disability should pay lower than a minimum wage job.

This woman has since gotten cancer and has been rejected by Medicaid because she makes too much money on disability to qualify. I am sorry the woman has cancer. Yet I did respect the Medicaid officer for saying "we have a line in the sand and she is over the line". There is something twisted in the first place that SS Disability pays so much that it can put you over the Medicaid limit. Social Security disability payments need to be lowered.
This utterly shocks me. I have known people that rightfully deserved to be on SS disability but went through hell to get it. They just put some woman on it? And they got no where near that amount.

What a world.

Old 05-09-2010, 01:05 AM

317 posts, read 404,883 times
Quote:
There was a story on our local news about a woman who lost her job, couldn't find another one after two years of searching,and was put on Social Security Disability. She technically had no disabilitybut was put on the program anyway. She get's $2500 a month.
According to Social Security you either have to be disabled to get SS. Unless she committed fraud, if that is the case I'm confident SS found out,especially if it's in the news, if not you should report it. This story smells fishy. Got a link to the story? Probably not.

Old 05-09-2010, 01:06 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,311,700 times
First of all, Social Security Disability Insurance does not pay the same amount for each person. It's based on how much you've paid into the system and your work history---how many credits you have. If your lifetime input is four times the input of the guy down the street, it's only fair that you get back more, should you need to go on SSDI.

Second, no one gets put on Social Security Disability if they don't qualify. No one! It's very hard to get on SSDI and and her case, obviously, her cancer keeps her from being employable. Below is the basic criteria they use and everything must be backed up with doctor/hospital records, a LOT of paperwork and physical exams, etc. Most people get rejected the first time they apply.
  • You cannot do work that you did before;
  • We decide that you cannot adjust to other work because of your medical condition(s); and
  • Your disability has lasted or is expected to last for at least one year or to result in death.
How about a link to that article?

Last edited by Wayland Woman; 05-09-2010 at 01:20 AM..

Old 05-09-2010, 01:08 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
the sick the disabled the elderly if they got money are hated why?
what is happening to this country.

Old 05-09-2010, 01:09 AM

2,385 posts, read 4,333,785 times
You can get put on disability for mental health reasons, so even if a person doesn't always look sick, it doesn't mean they aren't.

Old 05-09-2010, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
First of all, Social Security Disability Insurance does not pay the same amount for each person. It's based on how much you've paid into the system. If your lifetime input is four times the input of the guy down the street, it's only fair that you get back more, should you need to go on SSDI.

Second, no one gets put on Social Security Disability if they don't qualify. No one! It's very hard to get on SSDI and and her case, obviously, her cancer keeps her from being employable. Below is the basic criteria they use and everything must be backed up with doctor/hospital records, a LOT of paperwork and physical exams, etc. Most people get rejected the first time they apply.
  • We decide that you cannot adjust to other work because of your medical condition(s); and
  • Your disability has lasted or is expected to last for at least one year or to result in death.
The OP however stated that the woman developed cancer after she had SSDI. The OP also seems to think it is ok for a cancer patient to be denied Medicaid. I smell a rat.

Old 05-09-2010, 01:14 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
First of all, Social Security Disability Insurance does not pay the same amount for each person. It's based on how much you've paid into the system. If your lifetime input is four times the input of the guy down the street, it's only fair that you get back more, should you need to go on SSDI.

How about a link to that article?

I do agree that it's fair that how much you paid into the system should help determine how much you get paid. I hadn't thought about that aspect.

One thing to keep in mind is she got cancer AFTER she was put on disability. The story made it seem she had no other disability before, other than bad luck fiding a new job.

Old 05-09-2010, 01:15 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,311,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbiggleswurth View Post
The OP however stated that the woman developed cancer after she had SSDI. The OP also seems to think it is ok for a cancer patient to be denied Medicaid. I smell a rat.
He may have said that but where is the link to prove he isn't slanting the story or that he misunderstood what he was reading? We're not being told all the facts. SSDI is extremely difficult to get on. But it is a fact that's it's very common for people getting treated for cancer to lose their jobs. Why did she lose hers?

Last edited by Wayland Woman; 05-09-2010 at 01:24 AM..

Old 05-09-2010, 01:16 AM

Quote:
I do agree that it's fair that how much you paid into the system should help determine how much you get paid. I hadn't thought about that aspect.

One thing to keep in mind is she got cancer AFTER she was put on disability. The story made it seem she had no other disability before, other than bad luck fiding a new job.
I think you misread the story. If not than it was sloppy journalism at best and politically biased journalism at worst. If the woman has terminal cancer I see nothing wrong with her getting $2,500 a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies