Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 04:02 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,011,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Actually, the comic book industry has tried this since at least the 1970s. Part of the problem is the extremely limited number of black people who read comic books. If sales don't hold up then that character or team is canceled and brought out as a special appearance in another series. Some were well written while others were obvious racial pandering. Two that did pretty well include a Green Lantern and Static Shock, both by DC comics. Marvel had Storm of the x-men and Black Panther of the Avengers. There were many others including Latinos, Asians, native Americans, and even a few mixed race characters.
As an avid [black]comic book collector from yestertyears...I agree. Comic books pretty much follow the times. It has changed a lot between now and say 20 years ago. And looking back at it, with some characters the racial pandering is much more obvious now than it was back then, especially when you look at books from the 70's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 06:36 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,292,202 times
the fact that Beck is bothered that Spider-Man is not White enough doesn't bother me as much as Beck's crazed conspiracy theory that an Obama is responsible for the change.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:47 PM

711 posts, read 1,512,056 times
If you wanna rewrite history..,start with the minds of the children.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:53 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
the fact that Beck is bothered that Spider-Man is not White enough doesn't bother me as much as Beck's crazed conspiracy theory that an Obama is responsible for the change.
Ain't something that when Beck blames the Obamas it is bad but when the Ogamas blame the Tea Party for everything it is good. You are something but little different in this respect from the other left leaners here.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
No I don't, I watched him around 10 times in the past, twice was enough to convince me he was loony so now I don't pay any attention to him. I don't even know what Media Matters and Kos are if they are an extreme (left or right) media outlet, I would consider them loony as well and not give them any attention. Like I said, if you pay attention to loons, they will act out more and further spread their craziness, which is the case with Glen Beck and others like him on both the extreme far right and left sides of the political spectrum.
So you don't know that Beck is not on TV these days. He has been gone for about 1 1/2 months but then you decided he was loony nearly 2 years ago, right? That would be back when he was still on HLN and not allowed to do much he liked to do. No, you haven't seen him 10 times and I don't believe you have been here as long as you have and don't know what Kos and MM are.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
Its about inclusivesness. Biracial people, and people of color in general have always been here, and will always be here. That fact should be reflected in everything. The comic world is finally doing what they should have been doing all along. Beck and others that think like him are in fear of being marginalized in the way that people of color have been marginalized and excluded. That basic fear is the baseline. It is what he operates in. That fear leads to all types of irrational thinking.
When will the rewriting involve changing Superman who came here from another world and has been Clark Kent from the beginning begin. I don't care but it will be done sometime soon to negate the fact that the first and strongest of the super heroes isn't and hasn't ever been white. I think it will be funny when that one happens.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:00 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,547,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Weird.

Anyway, just wanted to say that Eartha Kitt was a fabulous, and I mean absolutely fabulous Catwoman.
Did she 'hijack' that role?
DON'T MAKE A CATEGORY MISTAKE.

This is not about the black actor's talent or ability. Yes Eartha did a good job. But she is NOT Catwoman....and it did not last. Halle Berry sucked!!

This is about not revising a long etablished and beloved character to help a minor group feel good about themselves.

Why not create a NEW Character! It's done all the time. Do they have writers block or what??

Old 08-09-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
If the comic book industry is that desperate to inject "diversity" into their comic books then why not create new superheroes with ethnic minority backgrounds instead of reinventing classic superheroes?

BINGO!

Perry White will be Larry Fishburne! Come on.....

Old 08-09-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
"When the opportunity arose to create a new Spider-Man, we knew it had to be a character that represents the diversity -- in background and experience -- of the 21st century," said Marvel editor-in-chief Axel Alonso in a CNN interview. "We have a president of mixed heritage; in fact, I'm of mixed heritage, this is just the world we live in."

What is so f-ed up about that? There were a few cat womans, black, white and biracial, was that a big deal too? Was there some hidden agenda behind it?
Wow...
Sounds like pandering 101....to me.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I wondered why I no longer like Wonder Woman. I guess if she had to become that diverse I couldn't stand it. I liked that uniform and loved the white woman who played the part on TV.
Maybe we should her black too???

How about Alfred the butler....??? Commissioner Gordon....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies