Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 09:09 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,347,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
Hi guys,

So, am I simply lucky? I've bought hundreds of houses from mostly whites (face to face, without a Realtor) over the past 10 years and have never had this problem. This was in the deep South, Louisiana and Texas.

Why has my experience been different?

Because many black minorities (because you don't hear this from any other minority group in the US) feel that anything that does not go their way (ie housing bid falls through) is due to some underlying discrimination/racism. It's a disease of society as a whole where the issue at hand is always someone elses fault. I call BS on this whole article.

A seller's main concern is to sell their house as quickly as possible. I can't see why they would care to "protect" the neighborhood if they are selling and moving away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 09:23 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Hi guys,

So, am I simply lucky? I've bought hundreds of houses from mostly whites (face to face, without a Realtor) over the past 10 years and have never had this problem. This was in the deep South, Louisiana and Texas.

Why has my experience been different? Or, are the problems location specific? Technically, I should have more problems due to the historic racism in my location.
I dunno. Maybe there are more racists in the North than there are down South. But my experiences are what they are.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:24 AM

2,028 posts, read 1,888,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post
Because many black minorities (because you don't hear this from any other minority group in the US) feel that anything that does not go their way (ie housing bid falls through) is due to some underlying discrimination/racism. It's a disease of society as a whole where the issue at hand is always someone elses fault. I call BS on this whole article.

A seller's main concern is to sell their house as quickly as possible. I can't see why they would care to "protect" the neighborhood if they are selling and moving away.
Good morning,

I don't doubt there are still some individual racists out there, but I do wonder if some take their own personal experiences and extrapolate it to the current experiences of entire black population. I can somewhat understand why they would, since they have been discriminated against personally and there is a clear history of this happening in America. One can't deny someone's opinion without further questions, simply because their own experience differs.

All that being said, I am a "black minority" (as you put it) and my entire livelihood has depended upon buying properties for the last 10 years. If racism by whites was an issue, I would have changed careers years ago. I have never had this problem, and I'm pretty sure I've bought more properties than the average person in America of any race.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post

Maybe they listen to their neighbors, who don't want "diversity." Why would someone renege on a deal only after they found out what the new buyer looked like? Just because you don't know any black people doesn't mean that this discrimination is not real.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:26 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,199,422 times
Quote:
=jbird82;20395495]Because many black minorities (because you don't hear this from any other minority group in the US) feel that anything that does not go their way (ie housing bid falls through) is due to some underlying discrimination/racism. It's a disease of society as a whole where the issue at hand is always someone elses fault. I call BS on this whole article.

A seller's main concern is to sell their house as quickly as possible.I can't see why they would care to "protect" the neighborhood if they are selling and moving away.
It happens though

Last year in Chicago, a rich black couple was trying to buy a $1.8 million home in the Bridgeport neighborhood( formerly mostly Irish/Italians but now a mixture of Whites, Chinese, and Mexicans) and the owners did not want to sell it to them. The couple end up buying somewhere else, I believe in Bronzeville(historical black neighborhood) or in the suburb of Country Club Hills.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I dunno. Maybe there are more racists in the North than there are down South. But my experiences are what they are.
Hey Lucario,

This is why I only ask questions, instead of rejecting your opinion due to my different experience.

I don't doubt your experiences, my only concern is when personal experiences get extrapolated as those most Black Americans face (in present day situations). There is no denying past discrimination.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:32 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Do these statistics include Asians, Hispanics and Indians?

Old 08-10-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Hey Lucario,

This is why I only ask questions, instead of rejecting your opinion due to my different experience.

I don't doubt your experiences, my only concern is when personal experiences get extrapolated as those most Black Americans face (in present day situations). There is no denying past discrimination.
I'm not saying MOST black people go through this, because I don't know that. I will say that SOME do, because I know that I have and that others I know have as well.

My agent, who is originally from India, was astonished at the things we went through, and even after we bought another place, at what she had to go through too.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
I'm not saying MOST black people go through this, because I don't know that. I will say that SOME do, because I know that I have and that others I know have as well.

My agent, who is originally from India, was astonished at the things we went through, and even after we bought another place, at what she had to go through too.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I'd like to hear the full rundown and what city/state this occurred if you feel like sharing. If not, I can understand why.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:51 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,347,051 times
Quote:
Maybe they listen to their neighbors, who don't want "diversity." Why would someone renege on a deal only after they found out what the new buyer looked like? Just because you don't know any black people doesn't mean that this discrimination is not real.
First, accusing me "of not knowing any black people" doesn't make your argument any stronger.

Second, let's assume this scenario did take place and you're not just making it up. Did you consider any reasons why the seller would back out? Did the new buyer offer more money? Did the seller know the new buyer in some way?

I'm not naive enough to believe some discrimination doesn't occur in real estate, but I believe it is on a very small scale. The op article's point wasn't even discrimination based, but that the distribution of wealth causes minority families to live in poorer neighborhoods or else be minorities in neighborhoods of their social class. The whole article is junk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies