Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2011, 10:20 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
You're not going to move up the socieconomic ladder so stop pretending to be a millionaire on the internet, kid.
So, you have nothing to refute me with so you respond with this. Of course,

1. I never said I'm a millionaire
2. I never said on this forum that I owned a business
3. I never told anyone what my occupation is
4. I never told anyone if I'm in the stock market or not

Reply fail. You ran out of ammo so now you're resorting to personal attacks just like you almost did with SourD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Explanation and evidence, please.
Read up on Austrian Economics, listen to Alex Jones, Peter Schiff, Max Keiser, and the like. And also, I know human nature. People will not willingfully give up their wealth unless they get something back for it in return. This is why liberals are against giving their money to the Treasury to pay down the debt, unless taxes on everyone else were raised. Logic is your friend, not pie in the sky idealism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 10:27 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chariega View Post
Interesting article by Warren Buffet. "Stop Coddling the Super Rich" in the NY Times today. Could it be other rich Americans feel the same?

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/15/op...rich.html?_r=1

raise taxes cut spending...best of both worlds IMO.
He feels guilty because he's made his money. He's nearing end of life and he is probably starting to think about wanting to leave a legacy. He claims to be an atheist...but I'm sure he wants to at least have a secular impact.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:30 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
So, you have nothing to refute me with so you respond with this. Of course,

1. I never said I'm a millionaire
2. I never said on this forum that I owned a business
3. I never told anyone what my occupation is
4. I never told anyone if I'm in the stock market or not

Reply fail. You ran out of ammo so now you're resorting to personal attacks just like you almost did with SourD

Read up on Austrian Economics, listen to Alex Jones, Peter Schiff, Max Keiser, and the like. And also, I know human nature. People will not willingfully give up their wealth unless they get something back for it in return. This is why liberals are against giving their money to the Treasury to pay down the debt, unless taxes on everyone else were raised. Logic is your friend, not pie in the sky idealism.

You haven't said anything that needs to be refuted. We shouldn't tax rich people because they know how to get around taxes..remove the loopholes. They eventually have to bring the money into the country one way or another, it can't be offshored forever...they can of course move, but good riddance if they do, they won't have the protection of the US government anymore.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:34 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
If he wants them to stop all he has to do is STOP USING THEM!!!!!! The man is a raging hypocrite.
That's a silly response. The entire purpose of Buffett's op-ed was to effect U.S. tax policy for the purpose of bringing in more government revenue and decreasing the burden on the middle-class.

Buffett earned $46 million last year. The top 400 taxpayers reported $137.9 billion in income. Buffett voluntarily donating to the Treasury does as much for the U.S. Treasury as me sending in the fine for a parking ticket that the cop missed.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:34 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
You haven't said anything that needs to be refuted. We shouldn't tax rich people because they know how to get around taxes..remove the loopholes. They eventually have to bring the money into the country one way or another, it can't be offshored forever...they can of course move, but good riddance if they do, they won't have the protection of the US government anymore.
remove all loopholes, remove all income taxes and enact a flat 15% sales tax for everyone.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:36 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
remove all loopholes, remove all income taxes and enact a flat 15% sales tax for everyone.
No, try removing the loopholes first and enforcing current tax laws, nothing radical needed and no need to shift burden down the ladder, just have people pay what they are supposed to be paying.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:39 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
I'm confused... do you think they should fix the loopholes, or don't you?
there are no "loopholes"...its tax code..its exemptions...its writeoffs..and its the same writeoffs that the pooor take..infact the poor and middleclass get MORE ""loopholes""

Old 08-15-2011, 10:41 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
buffett probably wants us to pay more taxes so he can get more bailouts:

Tavakoli: Warren Buffett, Stop Using My Credit Card! | Max Keiser

Old 08-15-2011, 10:42 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
No, try removing the loopholes first and enforcing current tax laws, nothing radical needed and no need to shift burden down the ladder, just have people pay what they are supposed to be paying.
So we don't care about fairness? People pay exactly what they are supposed to pay right now. Tax loopholes are available to everyone, wealthy or middle class right now. Closing tax loopholes on the wealthy closes them for us middle class people too.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:42 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
He feels guilty because he's made his money. He's nearing end of life and he is probably starting to think about wanting to leave a legacy. He claims to be an atheist...but I'm sure he wants to at least have a secular impact.
Always boils down to religion with you doesn't it? Don't project you beliefs onto others as if you knew their intent.

The frugal billionaire had no intentions of leaving the bulk of his billions to his children as he felt it would be more of a burden than a blessing to them. He once remarked that "I want to give my kids enough so that they could feel that they could do anything, but not so much that they could do nothing."

Warren Buffett has made history by becoming the most generous philanthropist of all time. The famous investor and CEO of Berkshire Hathaway has announced in June 2006 that he will be giving away much of his $44 billion.

With the power of a small country and the business intelligence of Bill Gates, the Buffett billions will be sure to make a difference in the world.

Warren Buffett Gives Billions to Bill Gates

Not in the "next world"...this world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies