Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When will the first flash mob regret the day they flash mobbed?
1-3 months 23 42.59%
3-6 months 5 9.26%
6+ months 3 5.56%
Not gonna happen 9 16.67%
Pie 14 25.93%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 07:21 AM

2,240 posts, read 1,386,672 times

Advertisements

Why wouldn't you be afraid of a race war? When mob mentality rules no one wins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 07:35 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
There are reasons flash mobs happen where there are restrictive gun laws, little police protection, and a general attitude of acceptance of criminal behavior as a norm.

Because they can.

It's one thing as a store owner to carry, it's another entirely to be working a minimum wage job as a night clerk and think about defending a boss' property with your life. I used to work midnights at a friend's convenience store/fireworks stand on the interstate, and most of the people who worked similar stores said, "Let them take what they want, I'll even help them carry it out" when we talked about robberies. Me, I felt differently - I kept my .38 with me and made no secret of it. The cops 'knew I was crazy' and kept coming by 'to make sure I wasn't dragging bodies out of the store'. Between my rep and the cop presence, I - unlike most of the people who worked in our area at night - was never robbed. Criminals will always take the easy way out; go for the stores and areas where they know that they have nothing to fear.

That said, anyone nowadays who "escalates" the situation by defending themselves or their property will, more often than not, have to deal with families and friends of the criminals (often criminals themselves) who will seek 'revenge'. And, with their mentality, they will seek 'revenge' on stores, property owners, and even passerby who are 5-10-20 miles away from, and had nothing to do with, the scene where their criminal friend was brought to justice. This is why gun owners won't shoot into flash mobs - not just because the cops and courts in their area won't protect them, but because they know that, the minute they fire, these humanimals will become even more aggressive and violent. And most regular folks won't/can't arm themselves to protect themselves.

It's pretty pathetic when criminals direct and determine peoples' lifestyles and safety instead of the law-abiding individuals. If every law-abiding citizen was required to be armed and know how to use weaponry, and didn't pity or excuse criminals or their behavior, this wouldn't be happening. It's sad when the criminal element is more cohesive and supportive of each other than the non-criminals.

Got a story for you. A few years back here in Cleveland a gentleman was sitting on his porch when 2 thugs tried to rob him. He shot and killed at least 1 of them. If I'm not mistaken he had a permit. The guy wasn't charged for, as it was ruled self defense. At any rate instead of receiving some sort of accolades, the neighborhood turned against him, and he had to end up moving because of all of the threats. So he looks like the bad guy while they're making make shift memorials with stuffed animals for this POS! I firmly believe a man's home is his castle, and it's ashame that he had to pick up and move for doing the right thing and protecting his property. It happened a few years ago, so I haven't been able to find the link, but I'll try and post it if I see it.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:42 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times
It's a crime of opportunity. They tried it in Texas, but the shopowner wasn't working at the time. An employee is not going to care if the store suffers some sort term losses from looters. Perhaps they take a look-see to find out whether now is the right time or not?

I think it's inevitable that copycats will naively try to replicate these acts in a more gun friendly and self-defense/property rights friendly state. That is when you'll see the faux outrage from the victim's respective community over the deaths of some hoodlums, "just because they stole some beer and candy bars". For now, it's safe to do this in places like New Jersey, Maryland, etc. where the self-defense laws are too constrained.

Remember, the rulings come from juries. Juries who have families, jobs, or even small businesses and personally see the flash mobs on TV or in person. While juries will have minority members, they will rise above the impulse to feel empathetic due to cultural ties and do the right thing for the community.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:43 AM

88 posts, read 132,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Got a story for you. A few years back here in Cleveland a gentleman was sitting on his porch when 2 thugs tried to rob him. He shot and killed at least 1 of them. If I'm not mistaken he had a permit. The guy wasn't charged for, as it was ruled self defense. At any rate instead of receiving some sort of accolades, the neighborhood turned against him, and he had to end up moving because of all of the threats. So he looks like the bad guy while they're making make shift memorials with stuffed animals for this POS! I firmly believe a man's home is his castle, and it's ashame that he had to pick up and move for doing the right thing and protecting his property. It happened a few years ago, so I haven't been able to find the link, but I'll try and post it if I see it.
Similar situation in PA years back, two guys came in armed with knives in the middle of the night, guy came downstairs with a shotgun, chased on off and blew the other guys' knee off in his kitchen when the guy tried to make a move on him with the knife.

Although in this case, I believe the man was charged with excessive force or something, their was a civil suit, a whole bunch of crap.

Makes me sick, the people who have an ounce of sympathy for the criminals.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:48 AM

To all of my NC friends, castle doctrine changes in December 1st. You may conceal carry in banks, state parks. Plus, when you defend yourself at home OR vehicle, it's MUCH MUCH harder to convict you either in criminal or civil court. It's even possible to get an acquittal if the perp is running away when you shoot them dead. There is also no duty to retreat from your vehicle or workplace (assuming the latter permits firearms)

Thank God for my good friend Glen Bradley to initiate this bill.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces74 View Post
Similar situation in PA years back, two guys came in armed with knives in the middle of the night, guy came downstairs with a shotgun, chased on off and blew the other guys' knee off in his kitchen when the guy tried to make a move on him with the knife.

Although in this case, I believe the man was charged with excessive force or something, their was a civil suit, a whole bunch of crap.

Makes me sick, the people who have an ounce of sympathy for the criminals.

Excessive force???? WTF??? What a crock! That POS is lucky the home onwer didn't blow his head off!

Old 08-16-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Excessive force???? WTF??? What a crock! That POS is lucky the home onwer didn't blow his head off!
Self-defense rule #1: shoot to kill
Self-defense rule #2: have an small package of crack/meth available for planting. DO NOT forget the gloves.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
self-defense rule #1: Shoot to kill
self-defense rule #2: Have an small package of crack/meth available for planting. Do not forget the gloves.

lol!:d

Old 08-16-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
lol!:d
For juries, perception is reality. You know you're right for killing the intruder. Making him/her seem like a crackhead looking for $$$ to get their next fix or a raging murderer will save you time and money on your defense. If keeping drugs around bothers you, placing a kitchen knife in his hands will do, and you don't have to work about your prints being on them because that goes with the territory of owning a kitchen knife.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:59 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
It's a crime of opportunity. They tried it in Texas, but the shopowner wasn't working at the time. An employee is not going to care if the store suffers some sort term losses from looters. Perhaps they take a look-see to find out whether now is the right time or not?

I think it's inevitable that copycats will naively try to replicate these acts in a more gun friendly and self-defense/property rights friendly state. That is when you'll see the faux outrage from the victim's respective community over the deaths of some hoodlums, "just because they stole some beer and candy bars". For now, it's safe to do this in places like New Jersey, Maryland, etc. where the self-defense laws are too constrained.

Remember, the rulings come from juries. Juries who have families, jobs, or even small businesses and personally see the flash mobs on TV or in person. While juries will have minority members, they will rise above the impulse to feel empathetic due to cultural ties and do the right thing for the community.
Yes, just like was obvious in the England burning, the looters and arsonists do it because they can, because no one stops them.

They're stupid and bored, and it's not about food or necessities, it's because they are greedy thugs and excited by watching beautiful historic buildings burn. They'll run like the stupid little cowards they are when someone stands up to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies