Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 12:29 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
keenth cole is very successful. I would guess most people who specifically go out and buy his label agree with him politically and if they don't ken doesn't care. he is putting his money (on the line) where his mouth is in this instance. why in the world would he have to understand with rights come responsibility? his responsibility is to himself and his company, if this is how he wants to go then it is his choice.
and i am not disagreeing with what you said, or coles beliefs. all i said is that with rights come responsibilities. i will also say that actions have consequences. i may disagree with him, but i also respect his beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 12:30 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,112,361 times
Quote:
kenneth has a right to free speech, he also has a right to run his business as he wants
That's not the issue here. The issue is if the site is a good business practice.

Old 08-20-2011, 12:35 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times
Quote:
keenth cole is very successful. I would guess most people who specifically go out and buy his label agree with him politically and if they don't ken doesn't care.
That is an illogical stance when it comes to running a business, hence the motivation for the creation of this thread. That and to raise awareness for conservative/libertarian suburbanites who will be buying clothes for their kids this school year.

Old 08-20-2011, 12:35 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,112,361 times
Quote:
keenth cole is very successful. I would guess most people who specifically go out and buy his label agree with him politically and if they don't ken doesn't care. he is putting his money (on the line) where his mouth is in this instance. why in the world would he have to understand with rights come responsibility? his responsibility is to himself and his company, if this is how he wants to go then it is his choice.
LOL So everyone who patronizes a certain store or brand automatically knows where the owners stand on political issues? That's a new one.

Everyone needs to understand that with rights come responsibilities. Yes, it is his right to put that site up and no one is debating that, but he needs to take responsibility for any repercussions that may come...including having enough people POed and boycotting his brand and potentially having to lay off employees.

While I doubt that will happen, it's just not a good business model to get involved in politics unless your business specifically caters to a segment of the population that supports your views. Like the Whole Foods guy, he upset liberals...liberals are his main customers, Whole Foods and liberals both have the "green movement" going on and by taking a swing at their messiah, he upset a lot of them. If he had chosen to write an op-ed in favor of stronger EPA regulations, for example, that would have gone over a LOT better.

Old 08-20-2011, 12:38 PM

IMO Kenneth Cole greatly underestimates the # of pro-2A parents who buy his clothing for either themselves or for their kids.

Old 08-20-2011, 12:56 PM

18,389 posts, read 19,023,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
That's not the issue here. The issue is if the site is a good business practice.
good business practice is the judgment of the business owner, in this case ken does think it is good for his biz

Old 08-20-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
That is an illogical stance when it comes to running a business, hence the motivation for the creation of this thread. That and to raise awareness for conservative/libertarian suburbanites who will be buying clothes for their kids this school year.

no it isn't illogical, ken made the call because he believes what he put on the site and his "business" is secure enough to withstand the outcome of such a statement.

you wanting to raise awareness so that conservatives will know they are buying from a liberal brand seems to be exactly the same kind of thing ken is trying to do with his site. making like minded people more aware of where he and his company stand. he could care less obviously what conservatives think.

Old 08-20-2011, 01:03 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,292,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Um, businesses that take up positions on social matters unnecessarily should re-consider their position. I think it hurts them more than it helps.

Kenneth Cole (http://wheredoyoustand.com/guncontrol? - broken link)
When your business is as successful as his, the company might take your advice.

What's next, little league baseball players giving A Rod baseball tips?

Old 08-20-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
LOL So everyone who patronizes a certain store or brand automatically knows where the owners stand on political issues? That's a new one.

Everyone needs to understand that with rights come responsibilities. Yes, it is his right to put that site up and no one is debating that, but he needs to take responsibility for any repercussions that may come...including having enough people POed and boycotting his brand and potentially having to lay off employees.

While I doubt that will happen, it's just not a good business model to get involved in politics unless your business specifically caters to a segment of the population that supports your views. Like the Whole Foods guy, he upset liberals...liberals are his main customers, Whole Foods and liberals both have the "green movement" going on and by taking a swing at their messiah, he upset a lot of them. If he had chosen to write an op-ed in favor of stronger EPA regulations, for example, that would have gone over a LOT better.
if you are politically aware you know what companies support what. you can also make an educated guess by their ads. look at Benetton ads you can tell they believe in multi culture.

a good deal of people will buy what they want, when they want it without a care of the political or social beliefs of the company. wallmart seems to still thrive despite people hating they have put many mom and pop operations out of business.

in this case many people won't even see the site in the OP. the objection here is more that you don't agree with ken's social and political stance then it is you caring that it isn't good for his business. a good guess in the OP's case he hopes conservatives see it and boycotts the company.

either way ken is more than ready for any backlash or forward movement this will bring him

Old 08-20-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
no it isn't illogical, ken made the call because he believes what he put on the site and his "business" is secure enough to withstand the outcome of such a statement.
Why take the risk with such little reward?

Quote:
you wanting to raise awareness so that conservatives will know they are buying from a liberal brand seems to be exactly the same kind of thing ken is trying to do with his site.
Good for him. It's just a big gamble. I believe the amount he loses over this kind of message is exactly proportional to the amount of coverage it gets. He might get a few new rabid anti-gun customers out of the mix, but I think he stands to lose a lot from back to schoolers' parents.

Quote:
making like minded people more aware of where he and his company stand. he could care less obviously what conservatives think.
He cares if it costs him $$$. IMHO I believe it would, and higher end clothing is one of the more fungible items in a depressed economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies