Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 11:44 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,660,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I had neighbors at one time who weren't Mohawks - Chippewa tribe - but they would talk about the Indian money they automatically got when they reached 18, and they were not living on a reservation either. I asked then what the money was and they said it was something the US federal government gave the tribe and they were being given their cut at age 18, some compensation from something from a long time ago. Even the blond ones got some money because many were obviously mixed blood.
Sounds like a one off treaty deal. There is no blanket federal program that I know of that just hands out money to indians just because they are indians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 04:44 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,161,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
.......We joke alot about the huge number of whites who claim Cherokee blood. Seems there were an auful lot of Cherokee woodcutters stacking firewood out behind the back door of the early white settlers.
Yeah, maybe that Trail wasn't so tearful after all if half the country has Cherokee blood! Seriously, I noticed that too and have commented on it a lot. I think it has something to do with two factors: one is that the name sounds delicious, like some kind of exotic cherry dessert ..... and the other is that song that was very popular in the early hippie days, lots of them took it to heart:
Cherokee Nation-Paul Revere and The Raiders - YouTube

Old 09-10-2011, 09:38 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,194,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
It does remind me a bit of the Nazis though who classified Jews into 1/2 Jews, 3/4 Jews etc. One might think humans of the 21st century would be a bit more advanced than that...

I find that entire idea of an Indian nation odd. It is not really an independent nation as such, but it pretends to be. Some US laws do apply to them as well, don't they?
Same here and especially when the Cherokee nation only has 300,000 people. They are not in the position to start kicking people out. I think the government had pity for the tribes and said ''Hey look, I know we kicked you people out of yall former territories and made yall walked the trails, but I want to make it up to your people by giving yall some sovereignity because you guys are the first people to walk these lands and what we did was wrong. Sounds great?''

Old 09-14-2011, 07:14 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
looks like the tribe is catching hell from the BIA.

Quote:
"The Cherokee Nation will not be governed by the BIA," Joe Crittenden, the tribe's acting principal chief, said in a statement responding to the U.S. Bureau of Indian Affairs.

Crittenden, who leads the tribe until a new principal chief is elected, went on to complain about unnamed congressmen meddling in the tribe's self-governance.
Cherokee Indians say they will not be dictated to by U.S. - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/cherokee-indians-not-dictated-u-010110913.html - broken link)

Old 09-14-2011, 07:58 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Same here and especially when the Cherokee nation only has 300,000 people. They are not in the position to start kicking people out. I think the government had pity for the tribes and said ''Hey look, I know we kicked you people out of yall former territories and made yall walked the trails, but I want to make it up to your people by giving yall some sovereignity because you guys are the first people to walk these lands and what we did was wrong. Sounds great?''
Maybe even the Indians should give up the notion of racial purity. There aren't very many pure Cherokees and most likely there was mixing between Indian groups going on long before whites and blacks showed up.

The only thing is - if the federal government compensates Indians for lands taken but those Indians are mostly not Indians, then why should we be paying a bunch of non-Indians.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:02 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Interesting developments, now we will see how independent they really are

Old 09-14-2011, 08:05 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,696,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
looks like the tribe is catching hell from the BIA.

Cherokee Indians say they will not be dictated to by U.S. - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/cherokee-indians-not-dictated-u-010110913.html - broken link)
That's rich, the federal government telling the Cherokee nation what treaties to observe.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:07 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
That's rich, the federal government telling the Cherokee nation what treaties to observe.
ironic, isn't it?

Old 09-14-2011, 08:20 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
It does sound a bit ironic at first. But then again, these are different times. Those white Americans who did not observe the old treaties are not around anymore I suppose One might ask if the Cherokees have the right not to honor treaties in the future, just because other treaties were not honored in the past? Do blacks today have the right to hold white slaves just because their ancestors were held as slaves by whites?

Old 09-14-2011, 08:31 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And Indians sometimes had Indian slaves. Slavery was common in all parts of the world except maybe Europe - and I'm not sure about that Europe didn't also have slaves back when.
It is always amazing to me how many people don't know about history. I am only a history novice and I know that the word "slave" comes from the European "slav."

Slavery existed all over the world, Europe just as well as other continents except Antartica and there were slaves taken to Antartica via "explorations" by Europeans.

I do not meant to be rude, but come on!

Never seen the movie "Gladiator" that was about ancient Rome and Russel Crowe was a slave in that movie! "Serfs" were slaves in Western European countries. Portugal began the African slave trade in the 1500-1600s with their "discoveries" and exporation in Africa. Many people in Africa still speak Portugese and many former Portugese African colonies were the last to receive their independence from a European country since Portugal went from being a major powerhouse in Europe in the 1500s to a poorer nation in the 1700-1800s and did all they could to keep their colonies until as recently as the 1970s.

Recently an Angolan (an African country) won the Miss Universe competition in Brazil. Many Brazillians loved her, one of the reasons is because she spoke Portugese like Brazillians (Brazil was a Portugese colony).

I just cannot believe one would think there was not slavery in Europe. Slavery was one of the biggest culture exports of Europeans. All societies have some sort of slavery system but the slavery system that all of us know as more modern is European slavery.

Oh and for many who don't know many Irish were slaves in the U.K. This is why they have had so many issues with the Irish up until today. I learned a lot about the history of the Irish in college (at a black college too) and found many similarities between Irish and African oppression at the hands of the British.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies