Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 07:52 AM

30 posts, read 45,839 times

Advertisements

<H1>Do African immigrants success academically & professionally in America improve the image of black Americans???????WHY ....why not?

</H1>

Old 02-05-2012, 08:23 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,013,265 times
Not anymore than White Europeans do for many white Americans.

Trust me, those of us who are African American who have met a great deal of Europeans know and understand that not all white people are like the ones in the US. If you're black and your only exposure to whites are with those from the US, then you will have a very skewed opinion of them. But once you meet a few Europeans, you know and understand that there are a lot of intelligent, well mannered, and educated white people out in the world.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:43 AM

674 posts, read 698,771 times
No, I don't think so. Not unless those Africans decide to have children here who will then be considered black Americans by most.

Also this is a two way street. There are black Americans who've done very well in Africa.
Do black Americans succeeding in places like South Africa or Ghana improve the image of Africans? Also no. However any success by any black person helps improve the image of black people as a whole, without splitting us up into subgroups.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:46 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,427,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Not anymore than White Europeans do for many white Americans.

Trust me, those of us who are African American who have met a great deal of Europeans know and understand that not all white people are like the ones in the US. If you're black and your only exposure to whites are with those from the US, then you will have a very skewed opinion of them. But once you meet a few Europeans, you know and understand that there are a lot of intelligent, well mannered, and educated white people out in the world.
Interesting how people can have similar experiences and come to completely different conclusions.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:47 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netze View Post
<H1>Do African immigrants success academically & professionally in America improve the image of black Americans???????WHY ....why not?

</H1>
No. Because Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson don't talk about them. They (Sharpton and Jackson) make their living (power and money) on victimology. Successful black people don't fit the story.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Interesting how people can have similar experiences and come to completely different conclusions.
Have your experiences differed? If so, in what way?

Old 02-05-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahomeyAhosi View Post
No, I don't think so. Not unless those Africans decide to have children here who will then be considered black Americans by most.

Also this is a two way street. There are black Americans who've done very well in Africa.
Do black Americans succeeding in places like South Africa or Ghana improve the image of Africans? Also no. However any success by any black person helps improve the image of black people as a whole, without splitting us up into subgroups.
I guess my family would be what you describe. We are in our third (or 2nd depending how you count) generation here and while Americanized with American spouses and partners, myself, siblings and cousins still maintain that we are different than African Americans.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Have your experiences differed? If so, in what way?
I don't find white Americans to be any more dim when I control for educational attainment than the European acquaintances I know. They are simply different.

Also according to my African friends who have visited and have lived in Europe there is a tremendous amount of racism. According to them Black Americans don't get the full brunt of it since they are simply viewed as Americans.

One Nigerian friend told me how when he was in Paris he had to mimic an American accent to get any attention from the women. Whereas if he said he was from Nigeria the girls immediately lost interest.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I don't find white Americans to be any more dim when I control for educational attainment than the European acquaintances I know. They are simply different.

Also according to my African friends who have visited and have lived in Europe there is a tremendous amount of racism. According to them Black Americans don't get the full brunt of it since they are simply viewed as Americans.

One Nigerian friend told me how when he was in Paris he had to mimic an American accent to get any attention from the women. Whereas if he said he was from Nigeria the girls immediately lost interest.
I've heard similar experiences in regards to the endorsement of racism in Europe with Africans in comparison to African Americans. I also recall someone telling me that the same thing occurs in Asia, primarily in Japan, where many of the few African immigrants often try to pass themselves off as AAs,

As for Euros and their American counterparts, most AAs from my experience who are middle class, college educated etc etc tend to have an easier time forming relationships (friendships, business, romance or whatever) with Europeans than they typically do with white americans. A lot of AAs who travel to Europe have told me the same thing. Many of them say that they prefer the company of Europeans to White Americans. From what I've read and heard, black americans in the military especially recall having the same experiences even dating back as far as WW1 and 2. Many preferred to stay and remain in Europe as opposed to returning to their white counterparts here in the U.S.

Old 02-05-2012, 05:25 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
I don't know if they improve the image or not, but what does it matter anyway? I'm gonna do what i need to do regardless. Image isn't that big of a deal to me. If African Americans have a bad image in the eyes of whomever, then it is what it is. I don't really care at the end of the day so long as when dealing with me personally, you set whatever problems you may have with that image to the side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies