Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 09:32 PM

270 posts, read 587,771 times

Advertisements

Howdy all,

I will state my political affiliation up front. I am a right-wing Christian conservative who believes obama is the worst president in American history. With that being said, I've just completed one book on Huey Long and am not reading a T. Harry William's book on him and I'm very enthralled with the book.

What are your thoughts on Huey Long and state why you feel that way.

Have a blessed day in the Lord.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 10:37 PM

432 posts, read 1,086,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDat2011 View Post
Howdy all,

I will state my political affiliation up front. I am a right-wing Christian conservative who believes obama is the worst president in American history. With that being said, I've just completed one book on Huey Long and am not reading a T. Harry William's book on him and I'm very enthralled with the book.

What are your thoughts on Huey Long and state why you feel that way.

Have a blessed day in the Lord.

When I think of Huey Long, I think of stupid people - at least with regard to those who adored and supported him. And while I'm at it, I'll throw in corrupt people who profited off that administration in one form or another, as well.

I think of sheeple. More stupid people.

I think of those who once lived under the simple assumption that one must take care of oneself and family to make a living who, suddenly, after hearing a Kingfish speech, no longer saw the point in doing so. Ie: a typical Edwards or Obama supporter (one in the same usually).

I think of insulting condescension and arrogance. "Chicken in every pot" type of vile bilge, as though we needed some sort of "savior". I'll buy my own dinner, thank you! Just get the %^%&* out of my kitchen!

I think of Russian politics - circa, 1917. Power to the workers BS.

Were this corrupt POS to run today, I'd probably show up at his every speaking event dressed up in a chicken costume with the words, "EAT YOUR OWN DAMN CHICKEN" draped across my "breasts"!

Who knows, Chic Filet might even become a sponsor...

Last edited by JimLFT; 08-26-2011 at 10:59 PM..

Old 08-27-2011, 09:15 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,356,591 times
Huey Long was power hungry . He helped a lot of people , but expected them to remember him at election time . A lot of people tend to overlook the fact that he was as big of a crook as any gangster in that day , because " he did so much for the poor people " .

Old 08-27-2011, 09:17 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,356,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLFT View Post
!

Who knows, Chic Filet might even become a sponsor...
The folks who own Chic Filet are too conservative to get involved with a shyster like that .

Old 08-27-2011, 09:45 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,333,624 times
Has anyone seen the Huey Long movie? I'm dying to watch it.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:52 AM

3,074 posts, read 8,028,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Has anyone seen the Huey Long movie? I'm dying to watch it.
Is it a new movie? That would be interesting.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:04 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,333,624 times
It premiered in 2006. Its called The King and His Men.

It's loosely based on legendary Huey Long, based later in the 1950s instead of the 1930's.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
It premiered in 2006. Its called The King and His Men.

It's loosely based on legendary Huey Long, based later in the 1950s instead of the 1930's.
Goes to show how well I keep up with new movies. I did see the Help last saturday and enjoyed it. It does remind me of those days....

Old 08-27-2011, 12:28 PM

My late mother often said the Huey P. did more for this state than any other. And more cronyism, more corruption, etc. Although he meant well, that legacy has never ended.

I always found it ironic that my mother would like him as she seemed to be such a dyed in the wool republican. I tried to explain to her he was populist and the antithesis of republicanism but to no avail. What she had done was fail to read all about him and the different forms of governing. With that in mind, it's no wonder people are so confused about political ideology, especially in Louisiana.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:32 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,722,601 times
This is a really weird thread for the PC forum.

I think it would be better suited for History or Louisiana.

Huey P love him or hate him had a huge impact not just on Louisiana Politics but the South as a whole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies