Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2011, 09:06 AM

5,346 posts, read 4,047,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The story in this low news time in late August is the hurricane. NYC has gotten hurricanes in the past.

List of New York hurricanes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Read the above.

I used to live in NYC during the 80's and 90's... trust me... Those events were all forgetable... Nothing to see here... Besides... Long Island is not considered NYC... It may as well be another state...

September 1, 1978 — The remnants of Tropical Storm Debra produces light rainfall along the southern edge of New York State.[43]
September 7, 1979 — The remnants of Hurricane David produce light to moderate rainfall up to 3 inches (75 mm) in much of New York State.[44]
September 2, 1983 — Tropical Storm Dean produces light rain near New York City[45] and causes minor beach erosion.[46]
Late October, 1984 — The remnants of a tropical depression track just north of New York City, producing extremely light showers.[47]
July 1985 — The remnants of Hurricane Bob produce light rainfall in Southeastern New York.[48]
September 25, 1985 — The remnants of Tropical Storm Henri produce light rain in isolated areas.[49]
http://bits.wikimedia.org/skins-1.17/common/images/magnify-clip.png (broken link)
Hurricane Gloria to the south of New York (1985)

• September 27, 1985 — Hurricane Gloria makes landfall on Long Island as a Category 2 hurricane. Wind gusts of up to 100 mph (135 km/h) and 3.4 inches (86 mm) of rain [50] contribute to $300 million (1985 USD, $591 million 2007 USD) in damage, and one fatality.[51] In addition, 48 homes on Long Island were destroyed, and hundreds more were damaged.[51]
  • September 10, 1987 — Tropical Depression Eleven produces rainfall up to 3 inches (75 mm) in much of New York State.[52]
  • August 30, 1988 — Tropical Storm Chris produces moderate rainfall in Upstate New York.[53]
  • September 24, 1989 — The remnants of Hurricane Hugo produce light rain and gusty winds in Central and Eastern New York.[54]
  • August 28, 1991 — Hurricane Bob comes within a short distance of making landfall on the eastern tip of Long Island as a category 2 hurricane. Heavy rainfall up to 7 inches (175 mm) and high wind gusts causes two deaths and $75 million (1991 USD, $117 million 2007 USD), as well as severe beach erosion which came as a result of storm surge up to 6 feet (2 m) above average.[55]
  • October 30, 1991 — The 1991 Perfect Storm kills one man when he is swept off a bridge, and causes moderate to severe beach erosion.[56]
  • August 28, 1992 — The remnants of Hurricane Andrew produce light rainfall in the western portions of the state.[57]
http://bits.wikimedia.org/skins-1.17/common/images/magnify-clip.png (broken link)
Hurricane Floyd produced heavy rain in New York (1999).

• September 27, 1992 — Tropical Storm Danielle produces light rain in Western New York.[58]
  • July 22, 1994 — Tropical Depression Two produces light rain in isolated areas of the state and generates thunderstorms which down several trees.[59]
  • August 18, 1994 — Tropical Storm Beryl's remnants produce up to 3 inches (75 mm) of rain in Central New York[60] causing moderate flooding which causes two fatalities and $1.5 million (1994 USD, $21 million 2007 USD) in damage, and 14 homes are damaged or destroyed. In addition, State Route 7 was closed for several hours due to flooding.[61]
  • July 13, 1996 — Hurricane Bertha makes landfall on Long Island as a tropical storm, producing heavy rainfall which caused moderate flooding in the lower Hudson Valley in addition to tropical storm-force winds.[62]
  • July 24, 1997 — Hurricane Danny causes light rainfall over New York City and Long Island.[63]
  • September 8, 1999 — The remnants of Hurricane Dennis produce bands of heavy rain which caused some flooding, especially in Rockland County where three feet of flood water accumulated in some locations.[64]
  • September 16, 1999 — Hurricane Floyd produces rainfall up to 13 inches (325 mm) and wind gusts of up to 60 mph (95 km/h) affect Southeastern New York. Severe flooding results from the storm, killing two people and causing an early estimate of $14.6 million (1997 USD, $18 million 2007 USD), although it is reported that damage could total to far more than that. One of the deaths occurs when a person dies from being swept into a flooded river.[65][66]

Last edited by HC475; 08-28-2011 at 09:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 09:09 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Prepare for the worst and hope for the best. I'm glad it died out. As much as I can't stand most New Yorker's politics I understand just exactly how bad it could have been if the storm had been higher than a cat 1 during a new moon high tide.

So what if the networks played it up. I just glad thousands of Americans didn't die.

God Bless.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:12 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Prepare for the worst and hope for the best. I'm glad it died out. As much as I can't stand most New Yorker's politics I understand just exactly how bad it could have been if the storm had been higher than a cat 1 during a new moon high tide.

So what if the networks played it up. I just glad thousands of Americans didn't die.

God Bless.
Exactly! Rep to you!

Old 08-28-2011, 09:17 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,915,570 times
I don't mind the pre-storm coverage really as they were predicting with the information they had on hand.

Spoiler
Personally I think the gov't was going WAAAAAY above and beyond so this wouldn't be Obama's "Katrina".

My problem is with TODAY's coverage of the "storm". I am so sick of reporters being shown on TV in light rain and partially sunny skies "urging" residents not to leave their homes for fear of safety from the weather conditions. NBC had Amy Rohrbach on from Battery Park (where the tide receded) standing on dry land about an hour ago seemingly irked that people were walking their dogs behind her. It's too perilious!!! There are barely any puddles on the street!

Then they went to a clip of the boardwalk at Battery Park from earlier this morning. The anchor introduced the clip as "the water being up to Amy Rohrbach's knees" at that time. Meanwhile, the clip itself showed the water barely covering her ankles.

Another NBC reporter was in Long Branch taken aback some people taking pictures of each other (fully dressed in jeans and golf shirts) near the water. This reporter was making it sound like they were ready to go swimming and urging people (like these specifically) not to go in the water due to rip currents.

It is crazy that the media is trying to hype the aftermath even while showing clips that prove the opposite is the case.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:18 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,815,510 times
Why did you people take the predictions as god's word? You do know they're based on computer models, don't you? It's just stupid that some of you expect the predictions to materialize exactly as predicted. Really, some of you need to get your heads out.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:22 AM

5,346 posts, read 4,047,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
I don't mind the pre-storm coverage really as they were predicting with the information they had on hand.

Spoiler
Personally I think the gov't was going WAAAAAY above and beyond so this wouldn't be Obama's "Katrina".

My problem is with TODAY's coverage of the "storm". I am so sick of reporters being shown on TV in light rain and partially sunny skies "urging" residents not to leave their homes for fear of safety from the weather conditions. NBC had Amy Rohrbach on from Battery Park (where the tide receded) standing on dry land about an hour ago seemingly irked that people were walking their dogs behind her. It's too perilious!!! There are barely any puddles on the street!

Then they went to a clip of the boardwalk at Battery Park from earlier this morning. The anchor introduced the clip as "the water being up to Amy Rohrbach's knees" at that time. Meanwhile, the clip itself showed the water barely covering her ankles.

Another NBC reporter was in Long Branch taken aback some people taking pictures of each other (fully dressed in jeans and golf shirts) near the water. This reporter was making it sound like they were ready to go swimming and urging people (like these specifically) not to go in the water due to rip currents.

It is crazy that the media is trying to hype the aftermath even while showing clips that prove the opposite is the case.

Unfortunately... The mind sees what it wants to see...

Old 08-28-2011, 09:24 AM

1,123 posts, read 776,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Dumb post of the day award.
In your public union employee opinion.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:25 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Why did you people take the predictions as god's word? You do know they're based on computer models, don't you? It's just stupid that some of you expect the predictions to materialize exactly as predicted. Really, some of you need to get your heads out.
You are missing the point, which is the hype and politics of this weather reporting. 'They' insisted that we believe it, Bloomberg said it's against the law not to.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:26 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Oh, for G*d's sake, all you Negative Nancys! Now you're upset because the hurricane wasn't as bad as predicted? Have you all no sense of shame, no sense of decency? Be glad for it!
Ya, do you know exactly what POINT these idiots are trying to make???

They seem so disappointed that more people didn't die and lose their homes....I call them repugs for a good reason!

I guess 'cause they're all repugs they don't understand something like weather which has to do with that scary "science" thing that repugs avoid at all costs.

But they sure seem proud of their excellent 20/20 hindsight...which is the ONLY vision they have...

I am hoping for a Blizzard of Hurricane Proportions to hit the Chicago area this winter ...without a word of warning.....

Old 08-28-2011, 09:27 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Con-Ed says Lower Manhattan flooding less than expected | Reuters

Con-Ed says Lower Manhattan flooding less than expected

But, but, but...it wasn't supposed to be this way.
If the new moon high tide had coincided with the height of the storm in NYC, the flooding would have been far worse. According to reports I saw, the flooding came within two feet of taking out the subway system. The new moon tide had started to recede when the storm hit which was the saving grace for that worse case scenario. Twenty-five percent of American's population is effected by this storm. It deserves the kind of coverage it's getting. If that ruffles your feathers as much has you've been posting it does, turn off your TV and read a book.

Last edited by Wayland Woman; 08-28-2011 at 09:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies