Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 10:40 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,869,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
[i]

Lots of people die if we act, and lots of people die if we do not act.

Is that not true?
no
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 11:06 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,076,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Interesting article. I disagree with the author's notion that "supporting our troops" is against Christian morality though. We support the troops because they're our family and friends, and fellow Americans. I guess idealistically we could hope that we'd never need to use them, but if we do, they should have our full support.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:09 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,532,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
So you think Obama is Christian then. He is killing many in the wars but he is a Democrat. HMMMMMM
Obama is following the script written by Bush. No matter how one looks at it, he is equally guilty. He is not nearly as maniacal as Bush, as he is against torture, nor did he go on a year long campaign exploiting the deaths of 3000 people to invade an innocent nation.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:17 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,136,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I love it when ignorant atheists attempt to dissect and discuss Christianity. The average liberal is of modest intelligence, yet is not astute enough to see through the clumsy pablum they so readily digest. This inane attempt at an "academic explanation" is laughable to anyone with a moderate degree of intelligence. I guess that is why this message is so appealing to liberals. Carry on- you are intellectually superior to any Christian and thus information which supports your basic premise is therefore true.

I am pleased that mathematics and science are not dictated by the "academic rules of liberalism", otherwise bridges would collapse and we would still be using leaches.
Your damn right about those bridges. You wouldn't have them if it were up to the right wing. They would rather let the infrastucture collpase than put people to work and have Obama and Liberals get the credit. Very "Christian" of them.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:04 AM

4,437 posts, read 4,869,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmsu01 View Post
Interesting article. I disagree with the author's notion that "supporting our troops" is against Christian morality though. We support the troops because they're our family and friends, and fellow Americans. I guess idealistically we could hope that we'd never need to use them, but if we do, they should have our full support.
Although the article mentioned "Christianity and War" was written from a Christian point of view it just as well could have been tittled "The Atheist and War, you don't have to be a Christian or even believe in God to know war is wrong and should be avoided if possible.
Even the Soviet Empire came to an end without war.
As I mentioned in another thread
"We have to break this cycle in our country that it is some kind of noble deed to join the military and go off to war; this war mentality has to end.
If you truly want to serve your country go work among the poor."

Old 08-30-2011, 08:48 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,191,559 times
What could possible invigorate christians more than going off to war?

Old 08-30-2011, 09:57 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,461,442 times
"Onward, Christian soldiers, marching as to war,
with the cross of Jesus going on before."

Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
What do you think a Christian should be all about? (ref in bold)
If they take our land lets just let them keep it. Right? We should not wage war right?
PS: What do you want the Christian to do, that you yourself would not do in certain circumstances?
[/font]
I don't disagree re: the necessity of war and self-defense, but regardless, what I think or do is irrelevant, 'cuz I ain't the one pretending to be a member of a religion whose Founder preached above all, to "love one another". So to avoid the obvious charges of "hypocrisy", then maybe you just need to choose another religion that's more in keeping with your real values (which whatever else they're about, don't sound like they have much to do with "thou shalt not kill", "turn the other cheek", "forgiveness" or "love").

Last edited by mateo45; 08-30-2011 at 10:12 AM.. Reason: spell..

Old 08-30-2011, 11:12 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,600,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
"Onward, Christian soldiers, marching as to war,
with the cross of Jesus going on before."

I don't disagree re: the necessity of war and self-defense, but regardless, what I think or do is irrelevant, 'cuz I ain't the one pretending to be a member of a religion whose Founder preached above all, to "love one another". So to avoid the obvious charges of "hypocrisy", then maybe you just need to choose another religion that's more in keeping with your real values (which whatever else they're about, don't sound like they have much to do with "thou shalt not kill", "turn the other cheek", "forgiveness" or "love").
It's good that you believe in the necessity of war as it is some times just not right what one person will do to another for their own selfish gain. The hypocrisy is in not how a Christian lives their lives and in their honor or their views. The hypocrisy lays in the criticism that comes from others as they try to project the wrongness of it all, when they will themselves conduct and follow through on the same decision to defend themselves. They will kill, they will not turn the other cheek and forgiveness is not a part of their vocabulary. Yet, they will twist those words in conjunction with the Christian telling them they must no matter what.

It's as if they believe if they can confuse the Christian on the differences between what is right and what is wrong, they will be able to weaken the Christians stand, by getting them to doubt themselves and the God they believe in Who is their Guiding Light.

I didn't choose God, He chose me.

PS: 4:5 For all people will walk every one in the name of his god, and we will walk in the name of the LORD our God for ever and ever. http://www.keyway.ca/htm2008/20081012.htm

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 08-30-2011 at 11:39 AM.. Reason: ps

Old 08-30-2011, 11:33 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,600,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
I don't think they want our land, I think they just want us to leave their land.
Their war? lol
I think if we left them in peace and brought the troops home no one would be getting killed.
I agree with you we should come home. However, not just our troops, but our companies too, should all come home and keep business in America where it belongs. (our money needs to come home to feed our hungry) We should continue to do whatever it was that made America strong in the first place. We should bestow those of other countries only the greeting of the day and be nice, until it is time not to be nice.

There are those though, who believe that, if we did that, they would bring their war to our soil and by going there they are keeping America safe from becoming ruins.

I think though that if we tried the be nice part at least then we as Americans would have a greater understanding of just what the war was all about, our freedoms, as then there would be no question about it and for sure it would not be about something that the ME cooked up.

The only way to make a change is to vote in that change. Until that happens we get what we get and nothing more.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:56 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,485,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
So you think Obama is Christian then. He is killing many in the wars but he is a Democrat. HMMMMMM
I think Obama's a closet agnostic, personally. Whatever he may be, his foreign policy is a hell of a lot more rational than the Repukes'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies