Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 08:00 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times

Advertisements

I particularly like the section where the guy from Kentucky will simply shrug rather than take that long drive to Louisiana just to have the "opportunity" to sell generators at the same cost as he would at home.

Almost Everything We're Taught Is Wrong - Reason Magazine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 08:21 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
I particularly like the section where the guy from Kentucky will simply shrug rather than take that long drive to Louisiana just to have the "opportunity" to sell generators at the same cost as he would at home.

Some interesting points are made, and I can't say I can argue against them, they have a reasonable position.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:45 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,209,541 times
I like John Stossel and he makes some good points. Although kidneys ARE sold in India, comparing that to selling sperm, hair and eggs--of which we have an unlimited supply, easily harvested--is not really a good comparison. Removing a kidney is a major, invasive surgery and potentially dangerous.

It might be interesting to point out that much of which we are, today, not accepting of e.g. human or animal sacrifice, "religious" prostitution (both female and male), child prostitution, child marriage, slavery, paying for penance, etc. was the norm in other times and other cultures.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:40 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
John's premise is correct. As usual he trots out extreme examples to high light his talking points. At the end of the article he even admits to gilding the lily to prove his point.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:17 AM

1,282 posts, read 1,904,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post

I agree with everything on there except the child labor issue. It does not matter to me whether or not the children THINK they are better off working in a sweatshop. They belong in school. Not to mention it undermines the job markets in other nations that rightfully ban the practice. And no western democracy should allow products from such nations to be imported into the country.
On the rest of it, I am in full 100% agreement. The government should stay out of private markets. Back when I was a teen, concert tickets were only sold at the venue ticket windows and certain outlet stores. When big acts were announced such as The Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney and Three Dog Night, certain people would go camp out all night and buy the maximum allowed (usually 10) and they would resell them for their TRUE value which was usually $20 as opposed to the $5 they bought them for. I honestly do not know why TicketMaster does not go to an "auction" system to sell tickets and allow the private market to decide what they are worth. For example, a front row seat for Lady Gaga might go for $400 while the seat in the ZZ32 row might go to $40. Then they would not have "scalpers".

Old 08-28-2011, 10:19 AM

1,282 posts, read 1,904,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
I like John Stossel and he makes some good points. Although kidneys ARE sold in India, comparing that to selling sperm, hair and eggs--of which we have an unlimited supply, easily harvested--is not really a good comparison. Removing a kidney is a major, invasive surgery and potentially dangerous.

It might be interesting to point out that much of which we are, today, not accepting of e.g. human or animal sacrifice, "religious" prostitution (both female and male), child prostitution, child marriage, slavery, paying for penance, etc. was the norm in other times and other cultures.
It is my kidney and if I want to sell it, that is not the government's business.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:24 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,209,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
It is my kidney and if I want to sell it, that is not the government's business.
Then go to India and you can easily find a market for it with no government interference.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:36 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
Organ selling, bad idea.

Does anyone in their right mind believe a black market won't grow up around this?

An Independent Investigation into Allegations of Organ Harvesting of Falun Gong Practitioners in China

Oh geez, I need a few bucks, lemme sell my right lung

Have followed Stossel for years, he's a voice of common sense in a sea of smoke & mirrors.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:49 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
Exactly. Why should the government care if you sell one of your extra kidneys? Same with blood, why can't you sell it? Patients spend hundreds for one unit of blood -- but the donor isn't supposed to get even $20? Someone else makes a profit. Some of those blood centers are heavily staffed with very well paid people.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:52 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Organ selling, bad idea.

Does anyone in their right mind believe a black market won't grow up around this?

An Independent Investigation into Allegations of Organ Harvesting of Falun Gong Practitioners in China

Oh geez, I need a few bucks, lemme sell my right lung

Have followed Stossel for years, he's a voice of common sense in a sea of smoke & mirrors.
But why? So many people end up dying when one little kidney could have saved them. Someone might not be inspired to go through all the pain for nothing just to donate it free, but might want to save a life if there were a little something in return.

Now livers can be donated in just pieces because they grow back. If someone wants to buy just a chunk of my liver, why can't I help them and get some money too? It's me that has to live with the surgical scars.

And the whole abortion argument is that the baby is really just part of the woman's body, she can have the baby surgically removed and left to die -- so why can't I have my kidney surgically removed and have it living in someone else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies