Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 09:47 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times

Advertisements

He's only stating what a host of others also think.

WMD's in Iraq turned out to be the boondoggle of all time and those poor U.N. inspectors put more miles under their boots running hither and yon trying to find them.

However; the O/P makes the point as though he's blessed with a special perception and I would bet that it's not that special at all with perhaps 50% of the military personell agreeing wiht his viewpoint today.

There were many soldiers fighting in WWII who perhaps did not agree with that war either and certainly many who disagreed with the strategies laid down by Montgomery and Great Britain who STILL had officers who had purchased their commissions and had little or no military experience prior to commanding troops in theater. Witness Dieppe and the terible loss of life due to poor planning by woefully ignorant leaders.

The remarkable thing is that those soldiers of today and those soldiers of yester-year who may disagree vehemently with either the reason behind a conflict or the way in which it's prosecuted STILL perform their duty and in often heroic fashion.

Regardless of their ideological hesitance to commit to the conflict they virtually ALL share a sense of duty once the bullets start flying and I find that truly outstanding and admirable.

ALL wars are fought for worldly reasons making each and every one of them suspect in their origins. I am eternally grateful however that there are always those who; though they may question the reasons, still take up arms and answer the call.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 09:53 PM

1,348 posts, read 2,858,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post

WMD's in Iraq turned out to be the boondoggle of all time and those poor U.N. inspectors put more miles under their boots running hither and yon trying to find them.

However; the O/P makes the point as though he's blessed with a special perception and I would bet that it's not that special at all with perhaps 50% of the military personell agreeing wiht his viewpoint today.

There were many soldiers fighting in WWII who perhaps did not agree with that war either and certainly many who disagreed with the strategies laid down by Montgomery and Great Britain who STILL had officers who had purchased their commissions and had little or no military experience prior to commanding troops in theater. Witness Dieppe and the terible loss of life due to poor planning by woefully ignorant leaders.

The remarkable thing is that those soldiers of today and those soldiers of yester-year who may disagree vehemently with either the reason behind a conflict or the way in which it's prosecuted STILL perform their duty and in often heroic fashion.

Regardless of their ideological hesitance to commit to the conflict they virtually ALL share a sense of duty once the bullets start flying and I find that truly outstanding and admirable.

ALL wars are fought for worldly reasons making each and every one of them suspect in their origins. I am eternally grateful however that there are always those who; though they may question the reasons, still take up arms and answer the call.
If my perception is really becoming the norm, it would only make me happy. The fact that my perception feels very "special" is the most frustrating part to me.

If I was a soldier, I would follow orders. That is what I signed up for. A soldier who doesnt follow orders equals an army that will be defeated.

That's why I would never be a soldier EXCEPT if the United States was being invaded by a foreign power. Soldier or not, I will take up arms to defend this country.

I did not say all war is bad. I said that MOST wars are political games where the instigators (politicians) do not have their own lives or their loved ones' lives on the line. They just use the lives of others, primarily the working class, for their own end goals. Sorry, but I do not want to be fodder for that game. If that makes me unpatriotic, then so be it. I personally think it makes me intelligent.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:54 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,276,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post

Very, very good points. MANY people were against the United States getting involved in WWII. In fact, plain and simple, FDR violated federal law (yeah, I know, he "circumvented" it), by supplying the UK with arms. Not too mention the entire issue of whether or not he know Pearl Harbor was imminent.

Bottom line: NO WAR or military action is popular with the everyone. Even Vietnam, in 1975, half the US population was still for the war.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:11 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,304,764 times
Default Why I would never serve in the military

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
It takes all kinds as they say. Luckily there are those who will continue serving the country.
Agree^^^.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
I am personally glad that you and yours will never serve in the military.
Totally agree^^^!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I'm in the military, but I have no problem with questions and issues the OP raises. Are we becoming too imperialistic and militaristic? It's a legitimate topic of discussion. Personally, I agree with some actions we take and disagree with others. Regardless of my personal feelings, however, I'm proud to serve and do my part for the country. If my country is at war, I want to participate no matter what because someone has to do it. I'd rather do my part in a war I don't agree with than let other Americans do it for me. I don't like being on the sidelines. You are entitled to your opinion and position though, OP. That's the nice thing about being an American.
This person is a patriot, and loves his country^^^.

I am thinking the OP does not love his country enough, maybe not an alpha personality, and that's OK.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:15 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,868,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
World War II was one of the few "good" wars. Most of the wars we are involved is just politcal manipulation.
World War II was a "good" war? It killed 70 million people, that is a lot of people by any standard.
I would have to ask what was so good about it?
Could it had been avoided; and if it could have been avoided how would fighting the war make it a good war?

Old 08-28-2011, 10:19 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,283,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
I would never serve in the military. Especially not in the US military.

If I had children, I would never allow them to serve in the military either.

I have nothing but the greatest respect for soldiers and veterans. However, I have nothing but contempt and hatred for our politicians and government.

How many good soldiers have given their lives in service of bad leaders? Countless. I would say the majority of soldiers in human history.

There is only one exception I would make. If the American homeland was truly being invaded by a foreign power, then I would not hesitate to take up arms and die for my country. But as long as the same cynical, manipulative scumbag politicians run this country, I would never want to serve in the military and be used as a pawn for their political games.

Take for instance the Iraq War. A completely fabricated war of aggression that was sold to the public by manipulative and truly evil (and I do believe they are evil) chickenhawk armchair generals such as Rumsfled, Cheney, Wolfowitz and that whole cabal under the nose of a intellectually barren and inferior president who wouldn't even know better. Good soldiers, real people with family back home, people who just wanted something better in their lives, wanted to serve their country, GAVE THEIR LIVES in the service of a political game for these evil manipulative individuals and their family will never be able to heal the void of their lives because their loved ones were used as a chesspiece in a political game.

What I hate most is when I express my views against our government's incessant militarism and gangsterism, that soldiers would smugly reply with "Well, we'll keep fighting so you'll have your freedom to state your views." 90% of the wars we are involved in have absolutely NOTHING to do with protecting our freedom, they are political games and nothing more. People in Canada, in Switzerland, in Sweden have the same or more freedoms that we have and they aren't constantly asked to give up their lives in cynical wars.

Being a good soldier doesn't make a stupid war a wise one.

Believing that you are fighting for our freedoms, doesn't change the fact that you are being used by cynical and selfish politicians for their own ends.

Wake up everyone. Our militarism is destroying this country and pushing us into bankruptcy.

But it is about far more than our country. Throughout history, good soldiers have always been used by selfish leaders for their own ends. Today is no different than two thousand years ago, except today's soldiers may have better benefits. But human nature never changes.
They would never have you anyway, so don't worry. You wouldn't qualify or make it IMO.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
World War II was a "good" war? It killed 70 million people, that is a lot of people by any standard.
I would have to ask what was so good about it?
Could it had been avoided; and if it could have been avoided how would fighting the war make it a good war?
Of course, no war is good on moral grounds.

My point was that World War II was worth fighting because the threats that we faced were very real and very dangerous.

In contrast, the war on Iraq was political hubris.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:33 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Good luck for you folks howling about you not letting your kids serve. When they turn eighteen they can do as they please. You leaners of the left can spit away at em all you want but it won't change their minds. Probably joining up to get away from you.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:35 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,224,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Today a veteran gets little to no respect in the USA.
The US Armed Forces is perhaps the most respected and trusted institution in the nation, with higher approval ratings than business, the media, and far higher than Congress.
Quote:
Veterans returning to civilian life have a difficult time finding work. The unemployment rate for veterans is 30%. The homeless rate of our vets is 50%.
Many vets directly apply the skills they learned in the Military to good paying civilian jobs.To state that vets have an unemployment rate triple the national average is nonsense. Half of our vets are homeless? Science fiction at its worse, or pure propaganda.
Quote:
Look at the republican attack on seniors many who served their country in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam.
I am a senior that proudly seved in uniform during the Vietnam Conflict. It is certainly news to me and a big surprise to learn that I have been somehow "attacked" by a political party.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Good luck for you folks howling about you not letting your kids serve. When they turn eighteen they can do as they please. You leaners of the left can spit away at em all you want but it won't change their minds. Probably joining up to get away from you.
You're entitled to your opinions.

But guess what. Your kids or you will be the one to die because a politician went on a "whim".

But don't say no one warned you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies