Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 03:10 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,529,215 times

Advertisements

Since it's obvious that the Bush Admin. lied us into a war against an innocent nation, and since the invasion/occupation has resulted in a tremendous loss of innocent life, how do you justify this war/occupation?

Some of us do not justify it and recognize it as an illegal war of aggression. But most people don't view it in such terms. Since many conservatives justify this war, I'm wondering your rationale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 03:13 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,649,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Since it's obvious that the Bush Admin. lied us into a war against an innocent nation, and since the invasion/occupation has resulted in a tremendous loss of innocent life, how do you justify this war/occupation?

Some of us do not justify it and recognize it as an illegal war of aggression. But most people don't view it in such terms. Since many conservatives justify this war, I'm wondering your rationale.
Conservatives don't justify the war anymore, odanny. They call it Obama's war, and they call Bush a liberal. Good luck getting any satisfication from this question.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:15 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,792,731 times
Who's Bush?

Old 09-02-2011, 03:16 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
The usual lame justification is that Iraq violated UN sanctions and Congress voted to fund it.

The reality is UN sanctions are cherry-picked when it suits our agenda and Bush himself has stated that HE made the decision to go to war, there is no other justification other than a bill of goods sold with USA! USA! USA! rhetoric in the aftermath of (no Iraqi involvement) 9/11.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:18 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times
Quote:

No justification for a war with no agression against these United States.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:19 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,190,050 times
The contractors that work for the DOD are not complaining.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:20 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,896,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Conservatives don't justify the war anymore, odanny. They call it Obama's war, and they call Bush a liberal. Good luck getting any satisfication from this question.
The actual answer is neo-conservatives (how the hell can ya be a new conservative?) support the wars paleo-conservatives do not. Neo-conservatives follow the Woodrow Wilson philosophy that you protect US interests by promoting human rights and making the world safe for democracy.

I suggest reading Pat Buchanan's "A Republic, Not an Empire" to get a good understanding of paleo-conservative philosophy.Read Bill Kristol if you want the neo-con viewpoint.

The fact is Obama has joined the neo-cons so don't know why people bring it up as a political issue.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:31 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,792,731 times
No really... who's Bush? How many years will it be until his failure is taken off the table of excuses?

Obama could have exited Iraq and Afghanistan if he chose to. 32 months would have been considered a slow draw-down. He can't bring them back because unemployment would hit 16% if the system was flooded with unemployed soldiers. When will people let Obama take the blame for Obamas' policies?

Old 09-02-2011, 03:33 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,814,595 times
Quote:

Remember all those anthrax outbreaks in Florida and New York back in 2001?
Many believed they had all the hallmarks of a terrorist attack and many thought that Iraq might have been behind it.

Bush got permission form Congress.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:35 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,649,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The actual answer is neo-conservatives (how the hell can ya be a new conservative?) support the wars paleo-conservatives do not. Neo-conservatives follow the Woodrow Wilson philosophy that you protect US interests by promoting human rights and making the world safe for democracy.

I suggest reading Pat Buchanan's "A Republic, Not an Empire" to get a good understanding of paleo-conservative philosophy.Read Bill Kristol if you want the neo-con viewpoint.

The fact is Obama has joined the neo-cons so don't know why people bring it up as a political issue.
I've been aware of the neo-paleo conservative split since 2002, when many of my Republican associates were not and even denied that such a thing as a "neo-conservative" existed. I have not read all of Buchanan's book, but I have read excerpts of it. There are many things I dislike about Buchanan, but I would probably vote for him over many Democrats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies