Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 04:25 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,251,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I read a couple paragraphs of that, and I came to the conclusion that the author is basically saying Democrats good, Republicans bad. Then the other liberal posters on here read it in its entirety and they came to the conclusion that the author is saying no Dems are bad too, but Repubs are worse. Ok, sorry guys but, when you say stuff like that, it's classified as Democrats good, Republicans bad.
Had you of read the essay you would know that he didn't say the Democrats were good. Not even close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 05:04 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,939,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
Had you of read the essay you would know that he didn't say the Democrats were good. Not even close.
Exactly.

It was a very interesting article and well worth the read. To a large extent I agree with what he is saying and I have seen first hand just how corporations raise cash to buy influence. Where I worked the PAC raised several million a year. We were strongly encouraged to contribute. At the last Presidential election I received a personal call from my boss asking me to contribute to a certain candidate. That money was distributed so that those on The Hill would understand our 'perspective'.

But the article poses a dilemma. If the Republicans are as bad as the writer makes out ... and I don't agree with absolutely everything he says but there is plenty I can agree with ... and if the Democrats are clueless and cowards .... which I don't disagree with either ....... then just who do we have left to vote for

Old 09-04-2011, 05:06 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,939,340 times
Quote:
I read a couple paragraphs of that, and I came to the conclusion that the author is basically saying Democrats good, Republicans bad. Then the other liberal posters on here read it in its entirety and they came to the conclusion that the author is saying no Dems are bad too, but Repubs are worse. Ok, sorry guys but, when you say stuff like that, it's classified as Democrats good, Republicans bad.
You should take the time to read it. The article is thought provoking and interesting.

Old 09-04-2011, 05:19 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,251,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Exactly.

It was a very interesting article and well worth the read. To a large extent I agree with what he is saying and I have seen first hand just how corporations raise cash to buy influence. Where I worked the PAC raised several million a year. We were strongly encouraged to contribute. At the last Presidential election I received a personal call from my boss asking me to contribute to a certain candidate. That money was distributed so that those on The Hill would understand our 'perspective'.

But the article poses a dilemma. If the Republicans are as bad as the writer makes out ... and I don't agree with absolutely everything he says but there is plenty I can agree with ... and if the Democrats are clueless and cowards .... which I don't disagree with either ....... then just who do we have left to vote for
That is the quandary, and I believe it is also the reason we saw the rise of the Tea Party movement. Those were people fed up with the choices. I loath what they stand for, and do not like what I've seen at their rallies when they were going strong, but I grasp the frustration.

A couple of the things that we hear the Tea Party types complain about are also my concerns. Erosion of our country, for one, but I disagree with their viewpoint on solutions.

My personal history and upbringing taught me that the governement and politicians weren't to be trusted. I'm the only one in my family that has ever voted. Many Native Americans do not vote, but that is changing.

Personally, I believe the entire world is in serious trouble, financially, and environmentally. The global economy is built on fossil fuels, and that world is changing......not for the better.

Old 09-04-2011, 05:42 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,152,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
That is the quandary, and I believe it is also the reason we saw the rise of the Tea Party movement. Those were people fed up with the choices. I loath what they stand for, and do not like what I've seen at their rallies when they were going strong, but I grasp the frustration.

A couple of the things that we hear the Tea Party types complain about are also my concerns. Erosion of our country, for one, but I disagree with their viewpoint on solutions.

My personal history and upbringing taught me that the governement and politicians weren't to be trusted. I'm the only one in my family that has ever voted. Many Native Americans do not vote, but that is changing.

Personally, I believe the entire world is in serious trouble, financially, and environmentally. The global economy is built on fossil fuels, and that world is changing......not for the better.
Until money is taken out of the equation (fat chance) campaigns and elections are never going to see any alternatives. It takes in the millions, maybe BILLIONS now to run for the office of POTUS. How could there not be corruption?

As for the Tea Party, it was hijacked by Neocons, so it never really panned out anyway...although that does not stop many from still supporting the frauds that were elected into office.

Old 09-04-2011, 07:31 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,301,071 times
I don't see where this article makes the statemen "Dems good." Its context and focus is by a member of the Republican Party speaking out against the forces of change that alarm him greatly within his own party. I would agree, I have been a Republican all my life, but now find myself unable to support wider and wider elements of the party. I still consider myself a fiscal conservative, but no longer believe the Republican party represents me in practice if not in rhetoric. The founding Fathers didn't want a party system in this nation precisely because they understood the danger of evolving a Party-first, America second mentallity.

Make no mistake, corporate money has corrupted both parties, but it is modern Republicans who have most brazenly embraced that corruption and manipulated the ignorance of the masses to turn a blind eye and even believe, stupidly, that it is in their best interests to do so. The middle class has to go away, because by nature of BEING the middle-class they hold some small percentage of wealth that the super-rich and corporate interests would rather see in their own pockets. The super-rich and corporate interests will use both parties to get at that wealth, the modern Republican party has just been more eager to step up and help them, eager to get their own thirty-pieces of silver.

Old 09-05-2011, 12:02 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,549,251 times
When you read the replies to this thread, and countless others, you realize the lunacy of the GOP is a reflection of their base.

Quote:
To be sure, the party, like any political party on earth, has always had its share of crackpots, like Robert K. Dornan or William E. Dannemeyer. But the crackpot outliers of two decades ago have become the vital center today:

Steve King, Michele Bachman (now a leading presidential candidate as well), Paul Broun, Patrick McHenry, Virginia Foxx, Louie Gohmert, Allen West. The Congressional directory now reads like a casebook of lunacy

Old 09-05-2011, 07:43 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,454,353 times
Quote:
I read a couple paragraphs of that, and I came to the conclusion that the author is basically saying Democrats good, Republicans bad.
Two paragraphs isn't nearly enough.

Quote:
Democratic Leadership Council-style "centrist" Democrats were among the biggest promoters of disastrous trade deals in the 1990s that outsourced jobs abroad: NAFTA, World Trade Organization, permanent most-favored-nation status for China. At the same time, the identity politics/lifestyle wing of the Democratic Party was seen as a too illegal immigrant-friendly by downscaled and outsourced whites.
And,

Quote:
[Democratic] initiatives are posed in impenetrable policy-speak: the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. The what? - can anyone even remember it? No wonder the pejorative "Obamacare" won out. Contrast that with the Republicans' Patriot Act. You're a patriot, aren't you? Does anyone at the GED level have a clue what a Stimulus Bill is supposed to be? Why didn't the White House call it the Jobs Bill and keep pounding on that theme?
I think the author of the article - and yes, it is a LONG article, but worth reading in its entirety - managed to capture a very accurate picture of politics in America today.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:50 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,549,251 times
It is truly one of the most informative explanations of how the Republican Party operates that I've ever read. Should be required reading for anyone who wants to truly stay informed on the political animal that is the GOP.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:19 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,966,995 times
Thanks for sharing.
Twas a long read.

he touches off on many things I have felt wrong with this country and our political system.

That's why I sometimes think, if we had a reset, all the parasites at the top, that have hijacked our government, like Goldman Sachs etc would die off. They would not run to some other country, because here is where they make their bread and butter, in bed with our government.

Let some of the Mega corporations and Banks leave our country and go to China. It would be a NET Gain if they left, because the demand would still be there, which many small business's would step in to fill, whom employ the majority of American's anyhow.

Then after these parasites move to China and get caught in their money making scandals, I will send China the money to pay for the bullet, that they will use to execute these cockroaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies