Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 10:26 AM

45,585 posts, read 27,209,359 times

Advertisements

This painting resides in the White House just outside the Oval Office. It's by Norman Rockwell - a painting named “The Problem We All Live With”.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/readers/2011...dbridges_1.jpg

This from one who was supposed to be the great uniter. We have flash mobs, and the Congressional Black Caucus calling for war - and this is what he will look at every day.

Race is obviously going to be a campaign strategy. Scare the crap out of white people - either to vote for Obama, or keep them home from the polls out of fear. Holder has already shown he will protect certain people who intimidate voters.

Doesn't really help the economy, or the job situation, or the country.

Last edited by CaseyB; 08-30-2011 at 11:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 10:35 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,017,268 times
Wow, talk about a stretch.......an iconic Rockwell painting hanging in the WH=campaign strategy.
Okey-dokey then.......

Old 08-30-2011, 10:38 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times
I can't see the picture, but I will say that it's curious that such a poster would remain in the WH while a bust of Winston Churchill is sent back to Britain. The President has a curious taste for interior design.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I can't see the picture, but I will say that it's curious that such a poster would remain in the WH while a bust of Winston Churchill is sent back to Britain. The President has a curious taste for interior design.
Um.........its a Norman Rockwell painting, you do know who that is, right?
The subject of the painting is desegregation, its an iconic painting, just how is that curious?

Old 08-30-2011, 10:43 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,410,771 times
I love Norman Rockwell paintings. I think this one is as good as any other.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:46 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,317,854 times
OP, take your tinfold hat off and educate yourself regarding this painting's true controversy. It has nothing to do with "scaring the crap out of white people" in the next election.

Quote:
The Problem We All Live With done by Norman Perceval Rockwell is arguably the single most important image ever done of an African-American in illustration history. This piece is the most requested work at the Norman Rockwell museum in Stockbridge, Massachusetts. What makes this piece so monumental? Why is this piece so popular and even controversial? First and foremost, it was done by Rockwell, the pitchman for conservative imagery for almost fifty years.
"The Problem We All Live With" - The Truth About Rockwell's Painting

Old 08-30-2011, 10:48 AM

45,585 posts, read 27,209,359 times
As a black guy trying to get ahead - I don't understand why you would want that in your house. I don't teach my kids to say the "N" word because of the disrespect it displays. I can understand looking back to keep some perspective - but the rear view mirror is a small percent of the view in front of you while moving forward.

If I am looking ahead, and I want the best for my kids - I don't see the purpose of this large display of division - this large display of looking backwards - as helping my goal.

So to me - the racial divide IS looking ahead for him. This is what he wants.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
As a black guy trying to get ahead - I don't understand why you would want that in your house. I don't teach my kids to say the "N" word because of the disrespect it displays. I can understand looking back to keep some perspective - but the rear view mirror is a small percent of the view in front of you while moving forward.

If I am looking ahead, and I want the best for my kids - I don't see the purpose of this large display of division - this large display of looking backwards - as helping my goal.

So to me - the racial divide IS looking ahead for him. This is what he wants.
Do you teach your kids about MLK, Rosa Parks, etc?
Or is all that in your rear view mirror?
Seems as though you have the wrong interpretation about this painting, perhaps you need to brush up on your art history.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:53 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,326,616 times
Sorry, I just don't see a problem here.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:56 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,387,188 times
It's a historic piece of work from Rockwell. It's probably worth at least 4-6 mil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies