Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 07:17 AM

919 posts, read 1,691,034 times

Advertisements

I was reading a question on yahoo and someone said " 3 in 4 primary schools in the UK hires male teachers. How is this safe?" I find it ridiculous personally to say that a man shouldn't be a teacher, some of my favorite teachers have been men. What do you think of male teachers in elementary/middle and high school is it ever different or not ok?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 08:30 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Aren't there regulations saying that a teacher may not be alone with just one pupil/student?

I don't know if that statement is correct in the first place (sounds like it was just a comment, so probably incorrect anyway), but I would find it problematic if 1 in 4 schools did not hire male teachers.

I remember an economics teacher at high school, who used to touch female students inappropriately during class. Nowadays he would probably be sued out of his job, and rightly so.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:38 AM

I know it was a comment so I am not 100% sure it is factual but I'm assuming it is lol. In my district there is no regulation against a teacher being alone in a room with a student because we can freely go in for extra help afterschool. However it is illegal to cover up the little window in the door.

And wow durin class :O

Old 09-10-2011, 08:43 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
I have had male teachers be inappropriate with me but I have also had female teachers be inappropriate with me. I honestly think male/female has nothing to do with it. I just think men get suspected more. In fact, most of my male teachers were super careful about leaving the door open if we had to meet one-on-one so as to not raise suspicion. I don't think there is any law forbidding teachers to meet one-on-one with students, but I do think it's encouraged to leave the door open and be visible from the hallway, or to meet in the hallway or some other easily visible area.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:46 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,260,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Aren't there regulations saying that a teacher may not be alone with just one pupil/student?

I don't know if that statement is correct in the first place (sounds like it was just a comment, so probably incorrect anyway), but I would find it problematic if 1 in 4 schools did not hire male teachers.

I remember an economics teacher at high school, who used to touch female students inappropriately during class. Nowadays he would probably be sued out of his job, and rightly so.
Well, I do not believe there are regulations on that. However, any male teacher with a brain would not put himself in that situation. Like it or not, there still is an unwritten double standard in this country, even after all of the female teachers getting busted lately.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:46 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post

I had a male teacher who molested me one-on-one in elementary school. But I also had a female teacher who asked me to give her massages for extra credit--same elementary school. Both of them did this with me one-on-one in the classroom with the door closed. This was in the 90's. I have a feeling that would be either illegal or highly suspicious nowadays.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:47 AM

760 posts, read 685,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzii View Post
What do you think of male teachers in elementary/middle and high school is it ever different or not ok?
I'm a male....and a teacher ....

Old 09-10-2011, 08:47 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,955,882 times
Simply speaking of male and female teachers, has anyone been paying attention to the many instances of female teachers sexually abusing male students in the US over the last few years?? Don't blame the male teachers for everything.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Force View Post
I'm a male....and a teacher ....
I have no problem with make teachers. Like I said some of my favorite teachers have male. I would just like to see other views on this

Old 09-10-2011, 09:17 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,339,494 times
I was a teacher for 37 years, as was my husband. We both retired In the early 2000s. In the early years of my career, there was little worry about working one-on-one with students. That changed during the 80s and while it was not school policy, it was strongly recommended that teachers - both male and female - not be alone with a single student in a closed room.

There were a few male staff members at my high school who were accused by female students of improper behavior. None of the charges stuck - in a couple of cases the girls involved recanted their stories - and the teachers were returned to the classroom. Nevertheless, they faced suspicion and gossip for years after they had been cleared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies