Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 04:52 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,194,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
My complaint is that the people of America (mostly boomer's) have been very foolish with there spending and credit habits. And if they would have just been more responsible with there money. The current threat of recession could have been avoided.
Well I don't claim to be any sort of an economical guru by anyones standard so I can't answer as to the nuances of what the market will do or if a crash is imminent or what not. I will agree that it could have been avoided but I won't entirely place blame on a generation of people known as baby boomers because of it. I'm not sure if you would call Alan Greenspan a baby boomer but he has a large hand in todays market situation. There is also another factor that effects all generations, past, present and future, and that is simply greed. Do you think for one blink of an eye that if GenX or Y or Z or even the ancient elders of song would not have succumbed to the notion of easy wealth?

I understand your frustration and empathize as well as even agree with some of your points, but I must ask, then what? I ask that before being too critical of the baby boomers, we wait to see how GenX leaves the world for their youth and their children, then we will better know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 05:15 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,510,291 times
Default And your right about greenspan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Well I don't claim to be any sort of an economical guru by anyones standard so I can't answer as to the nuances of what the market will do or if a crash is imminent or what not. I will agree that it could have been avoided but I won't entirely place blame on a generation of people known as baby boomers because of it. I'm not sure if you would call Alan Greenspan a baby boomer but he has a large hand in todays market situation. There is also another factor that effects all generations, past, present and future, and that is simply greed. Do you think for one blink of an eye that if GenX or Y or Z or even the ancient elders of song would not have succumbed to the notion of easy wealth?

I understand your frustration and empathize as well as even agree with some of your points, but I must ask, then what? I ask that before being too critical of the baby boomers, we wait to see how GenX leaves the world for their youth and their children, then we will better know.
fair enough. And your right about greenspan.

P.S. Excellent posts on the what happen? tread.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:24 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,759,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC View Post
If you want to use the median income in America then you should also use the median house price in America, which is $220,900.00.

If you can't afford to live in NYC then move somewhere where you can afford to live.
Well that's the plan. But paying rent is a spiral that makes it hard to save enough funds to pay for relocation. We're working on it.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodi View Post
I blame womens rights on obesity. Women working = less time to feed kids = McDonalds, microwaves and junk food. A = B = C

The cost of college IS getting rediculous. I think there should be a tuition increase rate equal to the previous years inflation rate. That way, tuition stays roughly the same but colleges don't get shafted by inflation. When tuition is double, triple or more than inflation, there is a problem.
However, that rate would only be applied to public colleges since private colleges would not be using tax money, they shouldn't be required to follow the same laws. Besides, economics shows that there would be a point that enrollment to private schools would drop off once they hit a certain limit above public schools. A name is only worth so much.

(sorry if it's wordy or has illogical sentances)

1) For the past 15 years or so, the food industry has started to substitute High Fructose Corn Syrup in lieu of sugar in many things. And just TRY to buy something in the store without it, you'd be rather surprised. HFCS does funny things to the body, fooling the metabolism into eating more than it needs, among other things. There is a corrolation between it's use, and obesity. And for the record, the record uses it, because it's cheaper than sugar. You'd also be surprised to hear that it is contained within things you wouldn't think, like salty crackers.

2) Private schools also get tax dollars.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
With Activism:
I can and will accuse all Gen of current conversation with lack of will to really move our government back to the "peoples" control. I do understand why the babyboomer walked on the activism front. It hard to be enthusiastic when the government pushes back so hard against you. Let me ask all that are out there. Are you still willing to be arrested or get hurt physically for what you believe in? That's what use to happen sometimes. Now I'll give them some credit and getting some injustices purged. Granted I said earlier that I believe people give them to much credit for change America when really they didn't. Also let me at it hard to be involved in activism when life get in the way. when you got kids,car and house payment, school loans, and other responsibilities that do take up a lot of your time.
Now for Gen X I do understand that it hard to be enthusiastic about political change when all we get to vote for is the lesser of two evils. But I believe we must become much more politically aware as Gen because the alternative to that is be squashed like a bug by our own nations current culture.

With learning from prior Gens.
I have learned from a study and engagement with prior Gens and and i have decided that I will try to model my life after the Greatest Gen. I think Gen X, Y, and millenniums should to, minus the racism.

On getting wet:
Your right in the fact that just complain with not action doesn't get it. But sit back in silence when there are grievances don't do to it either. We still have the first amendment and Gen X will be heard.

Baby boomers didn't do it all by themselves. A lot of "the lost generation" and beyond set the steps in motion, AND supported the boomers in their activism. Coupled with large numbers (of people born into that generation), there is some leverage.

A lot of the reasons why I believe Gen Xers are not "leading" is because many boomers have failed to make room for them. Instead of retiring, their still working. And when they retire, rather than passing the baton to Gen Xers who are in their late 30's and 40's, they are passing it on to Gen Y.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:40 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,758 times
the parents of babyboomers were probably the greatest generation EVER in america.. there is no question about it. Now to blame an entire generation for the problems of the country is a bit far fetched, but I do agree that babyboomers are a bridging generation of the old to the new. The only problem is, boomers were raised right and rebelled, and when they became parents they realized they were either wrong and tried to raise their kids right, or they continued with their rebellion and their kids fell by the way side of their divorce after divorce and drug addictions and what not.
Many old timers are democrats from way back in the glory days of the democratic party. With the Baby boomers came this divide.. so to say its all their fault is wrong but some serious social issues have come about in their generation. who knows perhaps 100 years from now when we younger x ers are old.. they will be seen as visionary...
I will say that I am waiting for this generation to retire and pass on, because of this divide in our nation... with extreme's in ideals.

Old 10-20-2007, 04:10 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,194,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
the parents of babyboomers were probably the greatest generation EVER in america.. there is no question about it. Now to blame an entire generation for the problems of the country is a bit far fetched, but I do agree that babyboomers are a bridging generation of the old to the new. The only problem is, boomers were raised right and rebelled, and when they became parents they realized they were either wrong and tried to raise their kids right, or they continued with their rebellion and their kids fell by the way side of their divorce after divorce and drug addictions and what not.
Many old timers are democrats from way back in the glory days of the democratic party. With the Baby boomers came this divide.. so to say its all their fault is wrong but some serious social issues have come about in their generation. who knows perhaps 100 years from now when we younger x ers are old.. they will be seen as visionary...
I will say that I am waiting for this generation to retire and pass on, because of this divide in our nation... with extreme's in ideals.
Do you not find it a bit ironic that the boomers have come full circle? While babyboomers complain about the lazy, unimaginative youth of today, they fail to see that they are every bit as guilty.

Boomers helped to bring to an end the Vietnam war and fight it at the same time. They helped to bring about civil rights and equal treatment for women, all grand and noble things. All while the "great generation" that spawned them, bitched about a bunch of doped up long haired hippies.

Today when the boomers complain about the youth and tout the achievements of their generation, they forget that the greatness of their generation was done while in their youth. Those same long haired hippie anti-establishment folks are now the ones coming into power. They are more than happy to bring you the war on terrorism, the infringement of civil rights, the decline of individualism and the rise of the fat and vain, "ME" at the expense of the next generation. They are now the state, the very state that they so seriously fought against at one point, they are now apart of.

Is this due to lack of convictions, character, or principles? Are these people just posers who attended anti-war rallies to score a bag of weed and hit up on some girls with flowers in their hair? Or is it the natural evolution of a person maturing? If the latter is true then is there some unwritten contract between youth and elders where one complains about the sloth of youth and the youth whine about the apathy of the elder? The contract to ***** and pass the buck, placing blame on anything to avoid taking personal responsibility.

Reminds me of the punk music folks who start a garage band and immerse themselves in their individualist underground anti-establishment nature, praying to make it big some day. Then when success is achieved, they are seen by their own as sell outs and shunned for being posers. Quite funny really.

Last edited by TnHilltopper; 10-20-2007 at 04:34 PM..

Old 10-20-2007, 05:08 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Bay, your points are fascinating. As a baby boomer, I've lived a bit longer then you have and I can tell you that each generation feels the one before them did it wrong. Well, soon it will be your turn and I wish I'd still be alive to read what all atrocities your generation will have caused in the eyes of your successors.
No joke there:

Us Boomers used to whine about how the WW II generation held onto the levers of power for so long----------25 years ago.

It is time for the Gen Xers to 'pay their dues' the way we did------they will inherit the goodies in about 10-20 years

I am age 50 so I know of what I speak of.

Old 10-20-2007, 05:15 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
Baby boomers didn't do it all by themselves. A lot of "the lost generation" and beyond set the steps in motion, AND supported the boomers in their activism. Coupled with large numbers (of people born into that generation), there is some leverage.

A lot of the reasons why I believe Gen Xers are not "leading" is because many boomers have failed to make room for them. Instead of retiring, their still working. And when they retire, rather than passing the baton to Gen Xers who are in their late 30's and 40's, they are passing it on to Gen Y.
Precedent has been set:

Note that an inordinate number of US Presidents hailed from the 'Greatest Generation'.

No President came from the 'Silent Generation' AKA the Happy Days cohort.

Our most recent Presidents were Baby Boomers; Clinton and Bush Jr-----and, both men will have been in power for 16 years total come late 2008.

Following that line of reasoning; the Gen Xers may be out of the loop.

Watch the Gen Y cohort though.

Old 10-20-2007, 05:21 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,510,291 times
Default DE-Generation X

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Do you not find it a bit ironic that the boomers have come full circle? While babyboomers complain about the lazy, unimaginative youth of today, they fail to see that they are every bit as guilty.

Boomers helped to bring to an end the Vietnam war and fight it at the same time. They helped to bring about civil rights and equal treatment for women, all grand and noble things. All while the "great generation" that spawned them, bitched about a bunch of doped up long haired hippies.

Today when the boomers complain about the youth and tout the achievements of their generation, they forget that the greatness of their generation was done while in their youth. Those same long haired hippie anti-establishment folks are now the ones coming into power. They are more than happy to bring you the war on terrorism, the infringement of civil rights, the decline of individualism and the rise of the fat and vain, "ME" at the expense of the next generation. They are now the state, the very state that they so seriously fought against at one point, they are now apart of.

Is this due to lack of convictions, character, or principles? Are these people just posers who attended anti-war rallies to score a bag of weed and hit up on some girls with flowers in their hair? Or is it the natural evolution of a person maturing? If the latter is true then is there some unwritten contract between youth and elders where one complains about the sloth of youth and the youth whine about the apathy of the elder? The contract to ***** and pass the buck, placing blame on anything to avoid taking personal responsibility.

Reminds me of the punk music folks who start a garage band and immerse themselves in their individualist underground anti-establishment nature, praying to make it big some day. Then when success is achieved, they are seen by their own as sell outs and shunned for being posers. Quite funny really.

Man I though we killed this thread a while ago. I don't have the strengh right now to argue. So let me call a truce. Let share some images that we can both agree is true.

The Millennial Generation

Also one other thing.

Which boomers though The Pee Wee Herman was a good for kids to watch? Damn!

Last edited by baystater; 10-20-2007 at 06:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies