Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 12:29 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,873,444 times

Advertisements

Some of the responses on this thread make we want to puke.

For all those minimizing 9/11 as a singular event, get a life.

I will guarantee that those bitching about what it will cost the taxpayer are the ones who barely pay any tax to begin with.

With every one of these threads, I see our country slipping away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 07:06 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Klato View Post
I am all for the memorial for everyone who died. Not really sure what purpose the museum will serve. This was a terrorist attack which i don't want to re-live.
The purpose of the museum is not just to tell the story of the terrorist attacks, but about the aftermath. The enormous effort it took to remove and sort the debris, identify the remains, the volunteers who took care of all these people, and more.

It is a fascinating story of more than 40,000 people whose lives were suspended for nine months or more while they worked on this effort, and it brought out some of the best there is in humanity.

If it does not interest you, that's your preference, but trust me, many other people are very interested in the history of those days. The WTC Tribute Museum in lower Manhattan, a smaller effort started by a dead firefighter's father in response to the interest in what happened in NYC in 2001 and 2002, is run by family members and survivors, and gets more traffic than it can handle. Ditto with St. Paul's Church, where the workers were fed and housed and which is now a permanent display.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:14 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
50 million dollars a year, close to a million dollars a week to operate this museum, I wonder how many unions and their workers are on the take <whoops> I mean payroll...

A 9/11 museum, just like the museum in Auschwitz Germany is needed to remind people what occurred, but the cost sounds like another scam, only this scam is NYC sized.

If all the money for this museum was ONLY coming from the pockets of New Yorkers I couldn't care less how much it cost but once again there's NY Democrats holding out their hands to the federal government to fund something they can't afford.

Last edited by plwhit; 09-12-2011 at 07:28 AM..

Old 09-12-2011, 11:14 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,921,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The purpose of the museum is not just to tell the story of the terrorist attacks, but about the aftermath. The enormous effort it took to remove and sort the debris, identify the remains, the volunteers who took care of all these people, and more.

It is a fascinating story of more than 40,000 people whose lives were suspended for nine months or more while they worked on this effort, and it brought out some of the best there is in humanity.

If it does not interest you, that's your preference, but trust me, many other people are very interested in the history of those days. The WTC Tribute Museum in lower Manhattan, a smaller effort started by a dead firefighter's father in response to the interest in what happened in NYC in 2001 and 2002, is run by family members and survivors, and gets more traffic than it can handle. Ditto with St. Paul's Church, where the workers were fed and housed and which is now a permanent display.
I find it disturbing that people want to relive a terrorist event. The memorial, IMO, is sufficient. I remember a year after 9/11, tourists would go to the site and look at the big hole in the ground.

Last edited by Mr. Klato; 09-12-2011 at 11:40 AM..

Old 09-12-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
50 million dollars a year, close to a million dollars a week to operate this museum, I wonder how many unions and their workers are on the take <whoops> I mean payroll...

A 9/11 museum, just like the museum in Auschwitz Germany is needed to remind people what occurred, but the cost sounds like another scam, only this scam is NYC sized.

If all the money for this museum was ONLY coming from the pockets of New Yorkers I couldn't care less how much it cost but once again there's NY Democrats holding out their hands to the federal government to fund something they can't afford.
This museum should be run and paid by Larry Silverstein.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:21 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,388,167 times
Quote:
They got the Memorial built with a lot of private donations (and some public money), so let's see if they can get private corporations to continue to support it as well.

Most visitors to the Museum will be out-of-town tourists, whose dollars will be spent all over New York City during their visits. $20 million is pocket change to the hotel and tourism industry in New York.

It's a freaking bomb site not Mecca!!!!! Get over it already.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
It's a freaking bomb site not Mecca!!!!! Get over it already.
Alrighty then...you paint and erect a sign for the tourists at the World Trade Center that says that! LOL.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
I find it disturbing that people want to relive a terrorist event. The memorial, IMO, is sufficient. I remember a year after 9/11, tourists would go to the site and look at the big hole in the ground.
Some people are just drawn to history's tragedies. Since I was a kid, I was fascinated with the stories of Pompeii, and the Titanic, and the Triangle Fire and similar terrible events. Other people love to visit battlefield museums or places like the Confederate prison at Andersonville.

Although, they do already have a lot of the artifacts, oral histories, etc., re 9/11 at the NYC Historical Museum, Museum of the City of New York, the State Museum at Albany, etc. I guess one could argue that it belongs in one of those already-existing places, but maybe "being there" is part of the appeal of an on-site museum.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Some people are just drawn to history's tragedies. Since I was a kid, I was fascinated with the stories of Pompeii, and the Titanic, and the Triangle Fire and similar terrible events. Other people love to visit battlefield museums or places like the Confederate prison at Andersonville.

Although, they do already have a lot of the artifacts, oral histories, etc., re 9/11 at the NYC Historical Museum, Museum of the City of New York, the State Museum at Albany, etc. I guess one could argue that it belongs in one of those already-existing places, but maybe "being there" is part of the appeal of an on-site museum.
I guess so. Larry Silverstein should pay, run and manage that museum. I don't believe our tax dollars should go to it.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
This museum should be run and paid by Larry Silverstein.
Umm...what experience or qualification does Silverstein have for running historical museums?

Just out of curiosity, I checked the website's donor list, and he is listed as having given at the $5 million level, as a family donation, not as Silverstein Properties, Inc. I see no mention of SPI as a donor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies