Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 06:48 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,347,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
While racism is indeed idiotic, pointing it out is far from it...........

*accusations*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 06:49 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,347,675 times
Quote:
I'm sorry you couldn't get a job on your own merits and that's you're blaming affirmative action for your inadequacies. As a white man, that's just another example of your own incompetence.

You must be dizzy from all that spinning. Who is it that can't get a job on their own merits? Why have police and fire depts. been forced to lower standards?

Old 09-16-2011, 07:01 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
You must be dizzy from all that spinning. Who is it that can't get a job on their own merits? Why have police and fire depts. been forced to lower standards?
This is a quote from you:

"As in the white guy who lost a job due to your affirmative action hire for example...."

You keep harping on issues such as this, bellyaching about how hard white males have it in society, I figure you must have somewhat of a problem making it in America.

I don't know why police and fire depts. have been forced to lower their standards. From what I've seen, they've never been that high to begin with.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:26 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
As in the white guy who lost a job due to your affirmative action hire for example....
You are so funny. People here on CD have also said that I, because I earn a middle class living, have benefitted from affirmative action even though I went to a historically black college/university, I got a scholarship there based on merit, not from the UNCF, I live in a majority black city and pretty much everyone I work with is black so the underrepresented population of our workplace is white people. Here many black HR reps seek out white people to balance out the spectrum. I work closely with our HR rep and he frequently looks for well qualified white candidates, especially white men since we only have two white men who work in our regional office. We have even offered employment to 4 white men that I remember in the last 6 months and all of them failed the background screening, which includes credit, criminal history, and drug screening. Three of them flunked the drug screening and one had a felonious background so they were excluded and black people were hired, even though they were actually the front runners. I'm sure that one of them probably blames affirmative action for not getting the job when they were actually given preference for being white in the first place.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:53 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
It appears that "diversity," held up as a catch-phrase ideal, doesn't always happen as a natural course of action. If you want to assure it, you have to have laws. Strictly enforced laws. Strictly enforced quota laws. By a show of hands, who's voting for that program?

Old 09-19-2011, 03:59 PM

313 posts, read 284,778 times
Quote:

I don't know why police and fire depts. have been forced to lower their standards. From what I've seen, they've never been that high to begin with.
You're right. Which makes it even more sad that departments need to change tests for Blacks and Hispanics so that they can pass.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:02 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
This is a quote from you:

"As in the white guy who lost a job due to your affirmative action hire for example...."

You keep harping on issues such as this, bellyaching about how hard white males have it in society, I figure you must have somewhat of a problem making it in America.

They had to lower their standards because minorities couldn't pass the tests.
Their diversity goal of hiring wasn't achieved because not enough minorities were qualified so they lowered the bar in order to achieve diversity.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:40 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahnyc View Post
You're right. Which makes it even more sad that departments need to change tests for Blacks and Hispanics so that they can pass.
Who said they need to change tests? I could walk into any test sight unseen and pass with flying colors, and I happen to be both Black and Hispanic. There are lots more like me.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:55 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,554,760 times
Diversity is here to stay. For those who embrace and welcome it, its quite a beautiful picture.

Old 10-08-2011, 09:15 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Yeah, Whites and Hispanics are loud too, but that's not really the point I was trying to make. It's not just about noise. Asians tend not to be on people's radar, for good and for bad, so people generally feel neutral about us. And really that's the goal.

I talked to some Indians before and we all agreed that Asians would have never pushed for civil rights because we don't really like to rock the boat. An Indian lady once told me that she sometimes wished she was like Black people so when she didn't get what she wanted she could scream about it and get others to comply. Yeah, I know that sounds like a stereoptype, but it exists for a reason. For good and for bad, Black people tend to rock the boat.
This is my perspective as an African-American. My personal take on it is that African-Americans will rock the boat for a reason. African-Americans pushed for civil rights because they were tired of waiting to be treated right. They were tired and felt they had nothing to lose. I feel like Black people needed to rock the boat. Blacks were not getting anything from being silent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies