Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the tax rate increase on people earning $1 million+ per year?
Yes 98 61.25%
No 62 38.75%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 05:20 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
1. Actually more than 50% of the cost to his jobs plan is tax cuts for small businesses and the average employee, which would be paid for by allowing the Bush Tax Cuts on the wealthy expire.

2. You can't cut us into prosperity. Countries such as Canada and Australia are doing 1000x better than the United States and both have much higher taxes on the wealthy.

3. If you are serious about cutting our deficit, you can't just cut your way out of it. You have to cut spending and increase revenue. We spent a decade fighting two wars during a time when taxes were cut, the first time in our country's history.
I suspect neither Canada or Austrailia have more than 47% of their population paying no federal income taxes.

Cut the wars, including Obama's illegal one in Libya.

Our federal government needs to be cut in size and scope by 40% from where it is today. Obama has grown the size and scope of the federal government by nearly 25% alone since he took office and it was already too big then. His "jobs bill" grows it even more, creating more bureaucarcies and again increasing the size of the federal payroll.

Since this is obviously all about "tax the righ" fever tell me how you figure 1.5 million "rich" paying taxes for 140 million people who pay no taxes, is not already paying their fair share?

Have you actually read the text of Obama's "jobs bill"? It sounds as though you are just repeating the party line. The so-called "tax cuts" for small business is the same payroll tax deduction that didn't work before and stole money from an already financially beleagured Social Security Program. Why would you support repeating past failed attempts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 05:23 PM

2,409 posts, read 3,042,207 times
Absolutely not! People making 1 million a year or more are small change. My god! How can politicians and Americans be so stupid and so blind to what is going on in their country? Really? You people honestly think a million bucks is that much money that the root of all our problems all the fairy tale solutions are going to disappear into the night once those who make $1 million are taxed even more! Yeah way to put even more small businesses on the fence. As far as I'm concerned the people making that much money should be considered middle class. I don't make anywhere NEAR THAT! But that' doesn't mean I want them taxed any more than anyone else. It's the BILLIONAIRES.......the FILTHY 1% of the rich who need to be taxed to the hilt. These are the people taht control everything. EVERYTHING! They not only control our government, our monetary system through their banks, the land, the resources, the food supply, the media etc........THEY DONT WANT YOU TO KNOW WHO THEY ARE OR HOW MUCH WEALTH THEY TRULY HAVE! The millionaires? Haha............they are a menial distraction while the real bandits make out like kings. Americans are idiots. It's the George Soros of the world you need to worry about not the millionaire next door. Ted Turner, George Soros, Warren Buffet, and all the other mega rich should have half their wealth taken from them and divided among the American people because it is people like them who have manipulated everything in order to acquire that wealth. Nancy Pelosi? Take her wealth, HALF OF IT! She didn't earn it just like half these fools didn't earn it. They bought politicians, used other people's money to make even more funny money, fouled our air and water, sold out the American worker, just so they could have a little more pie for themselves. Richard Branson......if he was an American I'd tell you to take half of his wealth too. He's a *******. And then there are the people you never hear about...........Cargill........the people need to take half of all that companies assets and wealth. Talk about abuse, corruption, and downright evil. They have destroyed the US food supply. Seaboard Company......take half of their wealth in the form of taxes too! The laundry list of filthy scumbag rich who have been sucking off the middle class and manipulating currencies, governments etc. to enrich themselves is disgusting........and Americans the poor and the middle class need to wake up. We know the poor won't........they are either too stupid, too lazy, or too hooked on welfare and the vote to care. So that leaves the middle class as the last bastion of hope to harness and wrestle back their country from the mega rich plutocracy. Class warfare? YOU BET YOUR ASS!

Old 09-17-2011, 05:28 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,518,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
Absolutely not! People making 1 million a year or more are small change. My god! How can politicians and Americans be so stupid and so blind to what is going on in their country? Really? You people honestly think a million bucks is that much money that the root of all our problems all the fairy tale solutions are going to disappear into the night once those who make $1 million are taxed even more! Yeah way to put even more small businesses on the fence. As far as I'm concerned the people making that much money should be considered middle class. I don't make anywhere NEAR THAT! But that' doesn't mean I want them taxed any more than anyone else. It's the BILLIONAIRES.......the FILTHY 1% of the rich who need to be taxed to the hilt. These are the people taht control everything. EVERYTHING! They not only control our government, our monetary system through their banks, the land, the resources, the food supply, the media etc........THEY DONT WANT YOU TO KNOW WHO THEY ARE OR HOW MUCH WEALTH THEY TRULY HAVE! The millionaires? Haha............they are a menial distraction while the real bandits make out like kings. Americans are idiots. It's the George Soros of the world you need to worry about not the millionaire next door. Ted Turner, George Soros, Warren Buffet, and all the other mega rich should have half their wealth taken from them and divided among the American people because it is people like them who have manipulated everything in order to acquire that wealth. Nancy Pelosi? Take her wealth, HALF OF IT! She didn't earn it just like half these fools didn't earn it. They bought politicians, used other people's money to make even more funny money, fouled our air and water, sold out the American worker, just so they could have a little more pie for themselves. Richard Branson......if he was an American I'd tell you to take half of his wealth too. He's a *******. And then there are the people you never hear about...........Cargill........the people need to take half of all that companies assets and wealth. Talk about abuse, corruption, and downright evil. They have destroyed the US food supply. Seaboard Company......take half of their wealth in the form of taxes too! The laundry list of filthy scumbag rich who have been sucking off the middle class and manipulating currencies, governments etc. to enrich themselves is disgusting........and Americans the poor and the middle class need to wake up. We know the poor won't........they are either too stupid, too lazy, or too hooked on welfare and the vote to care. So that leaves the middle class as the last bastion of hope to harness and wrestle back their country from the mega rich plutocracy. Class warfare? YOU BET YOUR ASS!
great post

Old 09-17-2011, 05:31 PM

59,106 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
This is a great idea! I know a lot of moderates who think $250,000 is too low of an income to increase taxes. However, I think any reasonable person would agree to increasing taxes on people who make $1 million or more per year. I doubt Republicans will be okay with this, but I'm sure the majority of independents will support this idea.

Do you support it and why?

---
This should be on major media websites soon. It's a breaking alert sent from CNBC to my phone.
No. How much is enough? People in that bracket already pay what, 70/80% of ALL income taxes now.

People in that earning bracket have tax attornies to make sure their income comes in BELOW the 1million threshhold. Gov't predictions are never realized.

I re-call the 10% Luxury Tax touted as how it would increase gov't revenues by Xmillions. Didn't happen. In fact the gov't took in LESS money because many boat manufacturers went out of business or cut way back.

As I have said before, most people are in favor of more taxes, as long as it is not them that get the taxes increased.

'If you rob Peter to pay Paul and David. Paul and David will vote for you every time".

Last edited by Quick Enough; 09-17-2011 at 05:47 PM..

Old 09-17-2011, 05:34 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,971,175 times
The Link is Now Up:

News Headlines

Old 09-17-2011, 05:52 PM

769 posts, read 1,007,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
I support it to an extent, if true. I support it if the govt doesn't see it as a way to increase spending, raise debt, come up with more expensive programs, etc. If used to help dig us out of this hole, I'm all for it.
Couldn't have said it better myself

Old 09-17-2011, 05:52 PM

59,106 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
1. Actually more than 50% of the cost to his jobs plan is tax cuts for small businesses and the average employee, which would be paid for by allowing the Bush Tax Cuts on the wealthy expire.

2. You can't cut us into prosperity. Countries such as Canada and Australia are doing 1000x better than the United States and both have much higher taxes on the wealthy.

3. If you are serious about cutting our deficit, you can't just cut your way out of it. You have to cut spending and increase revenue. We spent a decade fighting two wars during a time when taxes were cut, the first time in our country's history.
So what? 2006, 2007 and 2008 were the 3 biggest years in history for federal income tax revenue. The feds took in more in taxes than any president in history.

if you want the gov't to have more money, write them a check.

Old 09-17-2011, 06:03 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,424,868 times
While I don't really give a hoot for folks making $1 million a year. The NY Times article makes this plan sound like a gimmick. There are no details about a rate or even how much revenue such a plan will raise. Smells of more Obama desperation.

Old 09-17-2011, 06:11 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
Quote:
The Link is Now Up:

News Headlines

Oh, a "Buffett" tax as in Warren Buffett. OP had written "buffet", an entirely different meaning altogether.

Sure, I'll buy into not paying my taxes x 15 years the way Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway has been dodging their tax obligation.

Old 09-17-2011, 06:16 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,712,723 times
Tell Buffett to write a frigging check already to the Bureau of Public Debt and shut the hell up already.

Here Warren just incase you missed it and any of you other progressives that want to send in more money:

Bureau of the Public Debt: Homepage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies