Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2011, 10:52 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,375,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
The overwhelming majority of child abusers are married, heterosexual, religious men. But don't let facts keep you from pulling the gays = child molester card.
Boy did you misinterpret my post!

My point was that any discussion of current events in Germany pertaining to religion is likely to turn to the scandal involving the brothers Ratzinger. This was extremely painful for the Germans for a multitude of reasons.

My comment about the Catholic church covering up for abuses commited by their clergy was intended to point out hypocrisy.

I'll thank you not to put such primitive and idiotic words in my mouth along the lines of

"gays = child molester"

I said nothing even remotely like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 11:28 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,303,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Why, you guys don't? You keep pushing your morals and beliefs through secular laws. And apparently those who claim to have the strongest morals/religious views, are the worst at parenting children.
Do you know me? I am not making laws, what are you talking about? You don't know my morals or religious views. How can you judge my parenting skills?

Old 09-22-2011, 11:31 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,452,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Do you know me? I am not making laws, what are you talking about? You don't know my morals or religious views. How can you judge my parenting skills?
Lefties think they have a built in crystal ball and know all about everyone just by seeing you once or reading your internet forum posts. They are sort of close though, but instead of a crystal ball for a head, it's more like a bowling ball.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:37 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Here's a great idea, folks. Perhaps Christianity should stop preaching intolerance towards homosexuals. As a result, such situations would arise less frequently.

Public schools inherently must teach acceptance and tolerance of all. Any other way would disrupt the learning process.

What's so hard to understand about this?

If you want your children to be taught fire and brimstone and gay is bad, send your kids to a private school.
Public schools don't teach acceptance.

Tolerance - maybe. Just because you tolerate something DOESN'T mean you accept it.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:26 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
Boy did you misinterpret my post!

My point was that any discussion of current events in Germany pertaining to religion is likely to turn to the scandal involving the brothers Ratzinger. This was extremely painful for the Germans for a multitude of reasons.

My comment about the Catholic church covering up for abuses commited by their clergy was intended to point out hypocrisy.

I'll thank you not to put such primitive and idiotic words in my mouth along the lines of

"gays = child molester"

I said nothing even remotely like that.
Sorry, I got the impression that was the connection you were trying to make. If not, apologies.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:27 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
I can get a pretty good idea of your morals and religious views based on your posting history.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:27 PM

1,459 posts, read 3,298,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
Including Christians?
Thanks for the clarification!

No, but really, public school are there to teach academics.
Parents are there to teach values.
Period.

why not mention Muslims too? You should really hear their take on homosexuality.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:39 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Discipline for your beliefs????
Did you happen to look at the article? Regardless of how you feel about homosexuals, Christianity or any combination of the two...this kid was in a public school. And because he was in a public school (where the topic under consideration at the time had nothing to do with either religion or religious beliefs), his comment was inappropriate. Nothing more or less; inappropriate, whether he intended to offend anyone or not. Twisting the whole thing around and dragging anyone's Constitutional rights into the proceedings is what lawyers do to make a name for themselves.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:42 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird2007 View Post
why not mention Muslims too? You should really hear their take on homosexuality.
It is not uncommon for fundamentalists, religious fanatics, to have a common ground. And in this case, on homosexuality. In fact, it is fully expected that they would be on the same side.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:52 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Instead of having this kid in suspension, wouldn't it have served the kid and the harmony of class better to have the teacher simply say that the comment was off topic and move on?

I teach my child to think for herself and not necessarily always adopt the opinions forced upon her, whether from myself or her teachers. Has it caused her some issues with some teachers in school? Oh yes. But, I have told her that if she can argue her point and remain tactful, polite, and do so with evidence, then she is entitled to her opinion and I will support her in voicing that opinion, even if I personally disagree with her. I want to grow a strong and independent young woman, not a sheep.

That being said, if she were to say the same thing in school and it was relevant to the discussion, I would support her right to say the same as this kid from the story. If she was speaking out of turn, when the class was not speaking about this topic, I would have told her that her opinion is perfectly valid but she didn't present her argument at either the right time or in the right way.

So, both of them are wrong in this case. The student for speaking out of turn and the teacher for giving such harsh discipline for something that could have been dealt with in a simple reprimand for interrupting the class. The teacher overreeacted based on his own personal beliefs, it seems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies