Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2011, 04:04 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,947,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Ok, now I can clearly understand your position. Sometimes I thought you were argueing whether CO2 does nothing or that the earth was not warming at all.

What doesn't make sense to me, is that you refer to CO2 being released into space. I never heard of a non-negligible amount of atmospheric gases being lost to space. I thought CO2 is removed from the atmosphere mostly by weathering. Have any details?
You know what, I am going to retract that concerning CERN. I got several research mixed up when giving my example (might have been spencer braswell, or something else I was reading about concerning forcings).

So until I find it, let just leave that one as... not properly cited, so disregard at your pleasure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I believe he is speaking of the warming... not the CO2

Yeah, that is it. I got mixed up on some topics, if I could just find the research i was reading concerning that which they found the release time to be much less than original predicted.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:07 PM

20,457 posts, read 12,376,620 times
Some time ago, I saw something on the internet that showed the rise of Piracy in the 20th century. That rise was plotted on a graph with the global temperature record.

Global Piracy on the plot showed to be a "cause" of warming as it rose just before temperature.

Not one single person on this planet would believe that Piracy caused climate change but we can plot these two very different things and show correlation.

correlation does not equal causation

Old 09-28-2011, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Some time ago, I saw something on the internet that showed the rise of Piracy in the 20th century. That rise was plotted on a graph with the global temperature record.

Global Piracy on the plot showed to be a "cause" of warming as it rose just before temperature.

Not one single person on this planet would believe that Piracy caused climate change but we can plot these two very different things and show correlation.

correlation does not equal causation
*chuckle*

I remember the same thing being done with the stock market once.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:11 PM

13,622 posts, read 10,024,461 times
Quote:
Deforestation is not climate change that is human activity.
There is no scientific evidence that there have been more droughts or floods. NONE. There is however a great deal of scientific literature that there has NOT been an increase in storms/droughts in the last 30 years.

The hole in the Ozone Layer again while we can argue about its cause and impact, it is NOT a cause of Climate Change...either man made or natural climate change.

As for Polar Ice, we have not seen the 2007 polar ice level reached. Nor is there any evidence that this is a terrible climatic upheaval that will cause serious environmental disruption. There is some anecdotal evidence that we have seen low levels of polar ice in the past that pre-dates the satellite era.

I would also point out that while there has been some minor Ice Loss in the Arctic Ice Cap, there has been some offsetting gains in the Antarctic Ice Cap that seem to offset.

Again. NO solid evidence that there is an actual problem.

Some scary stories by proponents of AGW. Some nice silly stupidity from Time Magazine but no actual scientifically demonstrated evidence of a problem.
Is it not better, to be safe, than sorry? There may be evidence that hasn't been found yet, sometimes people look in the wrong places for answers, especially Scientists.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
Is it not better, to be safe, than sorry? There may be evidence that hasn't been found yet, sometimes people look in the wrong places for answers, especially Scientists.
Better safe than sorry is good for actions that are reasonable, inexpensive, and do not require extensive action outside of the normal actions.

Better safe than sorry when the actions are profound, costly, and extremely intrusive isn't prudent planning, it is a foolish endeavor.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post

it depends on what you mean by safe.

If by safe you mean spending trillions of dollars that we do not have to do something we cannot do, I do not call that safe.

The one big solution to reducing CO2 has been cap and trade. Every expert and scientist has stated that the cap and trade scheme will cost trillions of dollars that will show up in the cost of goods and services but will not reduce CO2 in the atmosphere.... it will just slightly slow down the rate that CO2 is growing. It is akin to spitting in the ocean to dilute the salt content.

on the other hand if by safe you mean we allow the free market to go where it wills and we back the scientic research being done that will give us the new energy economy that is certainly on the way and will be here in our lifetimes, then by all means I am for it!

But honestly someone needs to show me what I need to be safe about because not one single prediction ( and there have been many) have been remotely accurate.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:19 PM

13,622 posts, read 10,024,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Better safe than sorry is good for actions that are reasonable, inexpensive, and do not require extensive action outside of the normal actions.

Better safe than sorry when the actions are profound, costly, and extremely intrusive isn't prudent planning, it is a foolish endeavor.
Who knows?

Old 09-28-2011, 04:21 PM

416 posts, read 637,318 times
OP posts just a few days ago and already 25 pages....

CO2 is a known chemical quantity including its thermodynamic properties.

Have CO2 concentrations increased as human population, development, mfg, etc etc increased? YES

but correlation does not equal causation.

however, the flip side is should not be how can we stop the process of CC...pretty much impossible over the short to mid term (or even 2-3 generations of human life time long-term)....better question is how do we adapt if the climate is changing.

this is where both sides are banging their heads...if it wasnt so sad i might laugh

Old 09-28-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehalo View Post
OP posts just a few days ago and already 25 pages....

CO2 is a known chemical quantity including its thermodynamic properties.

Have CO2 concentrations increased as human population, development, mfg, etc etc increased? YES

but correlation does not equal causation.

however, the flip side is should not be how can we stop the process of CC...pretty much impossible over the short to mid term (or even 2-3 generations of human life time long-term)....better question is how do we adapt if the climate is changing.

this is where both sides are banging their heads...if it wasnt so sad i might laugh
Bravo! and well said!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies