Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 02:21 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,395,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Until people stop believing the stigma that Black are the oppressed people we will continue to have the policies we do.

In the meanwhile the Hispanics are making inroads and are growing fast. Soon the "oppressed people" will be accusing both the Whites and Hispanics of unfair, racist practices.
Have I ever personally said I was oppressed? I have no complaints with this country or Texas for that matter.

Latinos (hispanic is a fairly ridiculous term) now make up the largest group living in poverty according to the latest Pew report.

I personally am not accusing any white person of oppressing me in any way shape or form (nor latino for that matter) nor do most Blacks. However to act as though this country's long history of oppression doesn't have lasting (and now diminishing) effects is foolish.

Last edited by GreyDay; 10-01-2011 at 02:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 03:36 PM

927 posts, read 1,459,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
So you would support a situation where the University system was not admitting anyone say of European descent and was prevented by law from determining why that might be occurring. Which is the current state of the law in California.
get a different crystal ball - this one isn't even close

where did your assumption come from?

I say if there is an imbalance - PERHAPS it's their choice ...

That is what the analogy of a mechanic not doing brain surgery ...

FACE IT - too many self loathing people complain about self inflicted disadvantages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Duck View Post
Perhaps we need to correct the imbalance of mechanics who do not preform Brain surgery as well ... that too is unbalanced!

Yes - I am being cynical ... however - when will cramming numbers down peoples throats be too far and imposing on those who are not in those numeric demographics?

Old 10-01-2011, 05:47 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,848,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Duck View Post
get a different crystal ball - this one isn't even close

where did your assumption come from?

I say if there is an imbalance - PERHAPS it's their choice ...

That is what the analogy of a mechanic not doing brain surgery ...

FACE IT - too many self loathing people complain about self inflicted disadvantages.
Under current law the University system isn't even permitted to examine the issue and see if there are reasonable steps that can be taken. So I guess everyone can have an opinion, but the University officials are forced to wear blinders. It is easy to not see a problem when your eyes are closed.

Old 10-01-2011, 06:12 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,007,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
What does that have to do with race? There are poor whites, rich whites, poor blacks, and poor whites. There is no logical reason to go with race instead of the actual disadvantages.

By the way that analogy sucks. The ingredients are in the cupcake, not the buyer.
Just about every poor white person that I've ever known has a least one very well off rich family member in his circle. Whites have owned properties for generations, had access to the best jobs and education, and are constantly inheriting things from their deceased relatives. Race is a factor in how far you can go in this country if you don't work harder and smarter than whitey.

Old 10-01-2011, 06:23 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,863,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Just about every poor white person that I've ever known has a least one very well off rich family member in his circle. Whites have owned properties for generations, had access to the best jobs and education, and are constantly inheriting things from their deceased relatives. Race is a factor in how far you can go in this country if you don't work harder and smarter than whitey.
First off, there are millions of poor white people that don't inherit anything and don't own property. Second, what you're doing now is stereotyping and using that to decide that whites are better off. Any SES methods would probably take these factors into account.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:37 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,672,937 times
Sam, apparently the "new" definition is that an inheritance is now what you get from the taxpayers circle instead of from an individual including someone in a will. The result is that the two are becoming one, just from different sources. Hope that clarifies the confusion!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies