Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 01:54 PM

511 posts, read 2,451,503 times

Advertisements

A relative of mine started cashing those credit card Conv. Checks they also send in the mail and for a while used the money from the checks to pay the minimum payment. Eventually they allowed her to collect up to $40K in funds from these checks before they cut her off. She got angry stopped paying and went bankrupt. Chapter 7, all debts were cancelled. She had spent the money on trips, clothes and general expenses, by the time she declared bankrupcy the money from the conv checks was gone.

Is this stealing? Is this no better than robbing a bank? What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 02:14 PM

61,736 posts, read 87,172,581 times
If they allowed her to collect up to $40K in funds, before they cut her off, then I do not feel a bit sorry for them. Maybe one day they will learn a lesson.
Back to your relative, if she made out all those checks without an intend to pay back, then yes - it was a big time stealing! Filing for Chapter7 is not a deserved punishment. She should go to jail for a checks fraud.
Present laws and laughable punishments make it easy for people to enjoy borrowed money.

Old 10-14-2011, 03:03 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,793,310 times
I am shocked! Maybe I do not understand fully how she was awarded such funds.

Old 10-14-2011, 03:24 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,353,873 times
I had a relative that had exceptional credit but got in over his head. He was working a full time job and 2 part time jobs to pay back the debt. He had a 06 Mustang with a 72 month note and a 09 Toyota Corrolawith a 60 month note he was paying on. Both cars were purchased new. He financed trips and purchased items to make his rental look nice. While working the 3 jobs he could make his payments and was even paying down the debt. After a while he decided that he couldn't live like that anymore, took one last trip to New York City and stayed in the Waldorf Astoria. He maxed out all of his cards, flew back home and declared bankrupsi. He did park the Mustang in his garage to protect it. When the repo guy came to get it he opened the garage for him and handed over the keys. He did the same with the Toyota.

All that fun and for the next 10 years he gets to remember the good times.

Offering credit is a risk. To cover that risk credit issuers charge a high interest rate. Not all deals will work out. Some fall apart. It could be considered stealing, especially when someone does a strategic move such as a last trip before declaring bankrupsi. It happens though. remember that the person playing that game gets to live in the cash world for a long long time, usually at least 10 years. Credit will be available just at a very high rate.

Old 10-14-2011, 03:45 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,366,997 times
I don't have much sympathy for the banks. They send me those checks every month even though I don't want them. I consider it an ID theft risk and have to waste my time shredding them. It's just a circle jerk of con artists ripping each other off and billing me a documentation fee.

Old 10-14-2011, 04:15 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times
It is definitely theft- OTOH it's hard to feel very sorry for the idjit banks that fling out those checks willy-nilly..

Old 10-14-2011, 04:30 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,769,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
A relative of mine started cashing those credit card Conv. Checks they also send in the mail and for a while used the money from the checks to pay the minimum payment. Eventually they allowed her to collect up to $40K in funds from these checks before they cut her off. She got angry stopped paying and went bankrupt. Chapter 7, all debts were cancelled. She had spent the money on trips, clothes and general expenses, by the time she declared bankrupcy the money from the conv checks was gone.

Is this stealing? Is this no better than robbing a bank? What do you think?
Mmm ... sounds like something Enron executives would have done. I say she's CEO material.

Old 10-14-2011, 04:32 PM

760 posts, read 685,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
What do you think?
If you can work the system, you might as well. Everyone else is.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:28 PM

24,417 posts, read 23,076,143 times
She could get a job working for the government, even serve in congress. Can't her grandchildren just assume the debt and pay it off over time? He rmistake was not borrowing enough. Had she borrowed, say 4 billion dollars, she could have bene declared too big to fail and she would have been bailed out.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:21 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,370,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
I am shocked! Maybe I do not understand fully how she was awarded such funds.
Easy.....

The bank that allowed her to cash the checks thought they'd get it back plus 30% interest.

Kind of like a 'derivative' banks do for each other.....

They lost.

By saying They, I really mean We, as in you and me because they get to write off the loss AND collect the debt from us.

See, easy.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies