Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 08:09 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,633,377 times

Advertisements

I've seen a few articles by sports journalist either personally stating, or presenting comments of athletes who say the whole thing with Vick is not a big deal, and is being overblown since it was just dogs, not people that were mistreated.

Do I think its overhyped? NO!!!!!!!

Why?
Because first of all, its not just some street person that it happened with and the media picked up on it. It is an NFL star. And I realize that humans are more important than dogs in general, although my dog is like a child to me, but if something of half this magnitude was done to a human child ONCE by a celebrity, we would hear WAY more about it than we are with the dogfighting.

This is not overblown. This guy was given money, fame, fortune, and LOADS of attention for several years. He was a media focal point. But now he has ****ed all of that, and now he is getting what he deserves, so long as someone breaks his legs while he is in prison because the sentence was too short.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 09:07 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,770,340 times
In response to the question in your thread title:
Yes.

While I agree with your principles as stated in your opening post, I think the story itself is over-hyped. It takes up far more air time than stories that affect many more people in more important ways. Celebrity news is always over-hyped.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:23 AM

2,367 posts, read 7,658,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHarvester View Post
In response to the question in your thread title:
Yes.

While I agree with your principles as stated in your opening post, I think the story itself is over-hyped. It takes up far more air time than stories that affect many more people in more important ways. Celebrity news is always over-hyped.
I agree with TheHarvester,this case is way over-hyped.Theres way more important things going on(sad and good things)in the world right now.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:36 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,633,377 times
My feeling is if the general news media is going to overhype a story, this is a good one since it will hopefully bring the HUGE issue of dogfighting/abuse/cruelty to light more. Lets be honest, the story isn't taking on unused celebrity airtime. It is replacing what would be ALL Lindsey and Nicole Ritchie news and watering that down a bit.

As for the sports channels and ESPN, they would have been talking about him anyway had he kept a clean act, but it would have been for the upcoming season. Now its to expose him and show that all the fame, fortune and hype were undeserving.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:45 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
I think professional sports in general are over-hyped so I have no reason to expect Vick's story to be treated any differently. If he broke the law he should face the same consequences any average Joe would face. Football is a job like any other, not a grant of immunity.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:59 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,770,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
Lets be honest, the story isn't taking on unused celebrity airtime. It is replacing what would be ALL Lindsey and Nicole Ritchie news and watering that down a bit.

I don't know if you intended for that to be funny, but it's funny! And sad. And true. You're absolutely right, if it's not the Vick case then it's whatever Nicole Ritchie's weight happens to be at 2:30 PM, or whether Paris Hilton really reads that Bible she's been seen carrying around, or what Justin Timberlake's hair looks like. So, yeah, relative to other celebrity news, it's deserving of air time. Good point.

Old 08-24-2007, 10:04 AM

328 posts, read 1,034,365 times
Default No Grant Of Immunity.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I think professional sports in general are over-hyped so I have no reason to expect Vick's story to be treated any differently. If he broke the law he should face the same consequences any average Joe would face. Football is a job like any other, not a grant of immunity.
I agree......Look everywhere in the world of athletics both amateur and professional..... Violations of program rules ,felonies ect.... it is epidemic.......The solution? Look at athletics and athletes not as an entitlement but a gift and a privelidge......Punish where punishment is due as is the case with Michael Vick. Be fair but punish nonetheless...No more free passes because "They" are athletes.
Spiritwalker

Old 08-24-2007, 11:07 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,442,095 times
Especially if "THEY" are athletes they should not be given free passes. A lot of kids look up to these idiots and think what they do is "cool".

Old 08-25-2007, 02:23 AM

1,463 posts, read 6,223,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Especially if "THEY" are athletes they should not be given free passes. A lot of kids look up to these idiots and think what they do is "cool".
Well any parent that lets their kid look up at athletes as role models are pretty much pathetic losers and should lose all custody. Mom and Dad should be the only role model ever....

But this is totally being overhyped. Its almost as if people want to elevate dogs to human status and the media is just eating this up. All the real issues in the country and the media is worried about a couple dead puppies and a knucklehead.....

Old 08-25-2007, 06:47 AM

401 posts, read 685,579 times
Maybe I have been watching the news at all the wrong times it seems to me the Vick story is overpowering the news story about John Couey's death sentence. That man raped and murdered a little girl. It seems to me that the media is more upset about dog fighting then they are about what Couey did.
If the media had their priorities in order it seems to me they should be spending more time telling us how to keep our children safe from monsters like Couey and spend a little less time talking about creeps like Vick.
But instead of hailing the results of the Couey trial they are telling people how unfair it is that we don't want sex offenders living next door to elementary schools.
Don't get me wrong I hate what Vick and his cronies did, but I hate to hear about a 9 year old who was raped and then buried alive to experience a slow death even more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies