Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2011, 08:57 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,303,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Straight and gay soldiers have been living and fighting together for tens of thousands of years. Sexual orientation never made a difference when I and 400 other guys were packed into a iron box crossing the pacific Ocean.

As car as fighting is concerned sex does not enter the picture. That is a different part of your nervous system. I could care less about someone’s gender or orientation in a fire fight. I just have to count on them covering my back when I do something profoundly stupid. Fortunately they did.

CKane - You need to learn to stop worrying. So what if some of the troopies become lovers. If you are willing to fight for your friends you will still be willing to fight for your lovers. You guys worry too much about sex anyway. By your logic high school students should be sexually segregated.
And if you are forced to choose between your lover, and that other guy, who dies?

And seriously, troopies? I'd smack you, if you called me a troopie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 09:01 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
If the straight men are fundamentalists or evangelicals, best to put them in a room by themselves because they may not have the capacity to cope with anyone different to them.

Everyone else will get along just fine together.
You are definitely not getting it. It's not about ideology or religion.

What's your next salient point, you going to tell me that we currently keep the living quarters and showers of military men and women separate because of the "fundamentalists or evangelicals"?

Old 10-06-2011, 09:11 AM

1,081 posts, read 916,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Not the same....and you know it.
Like I said, its the same to me. Do you even know anything about the military? Ever serve?

Old 10-06-2011, 09:14 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,545,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Every one of these threads devolves into the same lunacy.

1) First we make the case that we do not mix the living quarters and showers of men and women.

2) Then we are told that this separation of the genders does not apply to gays, and its okay for gays to sleep and shower together

3) Then we remind the libs that gays do have sex, and do not have a magically lower libidos, and if men and women are separated, so should gays.

4) Then we are told that we should allow all genders to share showers and living quarters together, and cite the move Starship Troopers or a stupid policy of some European country.

5) Then the thread either dies, or is repopulated with people who are back at point #1; rinse, repeat.
YEP...That's how it goes...

Old 10-06-2011, 09:17 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,223,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I think the repeal of DADT is up there with health care legislation as Obama's greatest achievements.
Am with you 100% on this one, totally agree. The thing is, ObamaCare is a total disaster for the nation. So yep, equating the repeal of DADT to ObamaCare hits the nail right on the head.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:35 AM

1,081 posts, read 916,078 times
Sadly, most libs are unable to look at this from a leaders point of view.
And I mean a first line or company level, not some fat assed general with political aspirations, so don't bother mentioning those guys.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:39 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
People have called me far worse then troopie. I learned the term from a couple of Iraq War I guys. We called each other River Rats when we were being nice.

If I were forced to make a choice between my lover and the other guy I doubt if I would notice which was which. In the fights I was in I barely had time to note which were charlies and which were sailors. I did note and did not shoot at any sailors.

FWIW - US Navy Riverine Forces, Mekong River, RSVN, 1966 to 1967.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:51 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyBaaBaa View Post
And I mean a first line or company level, not some fat assed general with political aspirations, so don't bother mentioning those guys.
Poor assumptions, probably out of hatred or simply being out of touch with the realities. Grown ups are expected to be aware that simply knowing sexual orientation of a partner does not make it worse than not knowing it. But I'm a liberal/progressive. In your world, the idea of grown ups/leaders is to love the idea of not being aware of the realities... that must make life great. Getting in touch with the reality... must be blasphemy and things suddenly look upside down... Ostrich Syndrome at work.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:51 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
Grady, I'm a senior NCO, and I don't think this is really going to be much of a problem in the long run. How many gays are really going to want to serve in the Army? Not many. How many of your young soldiers really care about gays? Probably not many. Guys have been kissing on t.v. now since the 90s. So long as you don't have a gay guy hitting on a straight one, I don't see an issue.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:54 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
If they have to share quarters then a normal soldier should be able to beat the crap out of a gay soldier without it being labeled a hate crime. Since he's one of the "boys", right? That's good to know, if the need ever arises...

Unless of course, the gay soldier beats the living s*** out of you, after you've fealt the need arise, then what?

How infantile is this crap going to get with all of these points that don't mean diddly. You've already had 'em in the military for eons, what affect did their presence have then.

Repeal of some meaningless and non-effective piece of legislation ain't going to change that interaction one iota.

Seriously folks, if you think your miltary commanders are ill-equipped to handle any problems that arise over this insignificant piece of chit, then those commanders aren't in the right occupation. Perish the thought the maintenance of discipline and order should actually include a sargeant getting in the face of a couple of gays pissed off at each other. How is that any different than the other infantile crap they are trained to handle.

The troops have already been dealing with it for as long as there have been armies. Homophobia does not make it any less of a reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies