Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 02:40 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
I think that is the nerve I hit here. Notice how they pounced in defense and I was not even criticizing Jobs.
This is his legacy.

A religious cult of Appleytes.

It is akin to Goth or Emos

The gizmo doesn't even work with microsoft word. People bug me all the time about using my PC because they have a Mac that they can't do homework assignments or business presentations with.

(no I don't want to hear about the program they sell at the apple store that makes it compatible).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 02:46 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
This is a joke?

He generated revenue and exponential growth in the greatest bear market since the depression.

Stevie was a businessman and a good one. He has more money than I do so I won't criticize the guy for sales and growth. Louis Vuitton, Prada, Coach, Oakley, Nike, Droid, and others have also grown. His skills were more marketing than technology. He was in all simple respects a Pitchman who generated a buzz with "must have" items. Hence the iphone 1,2,3,4,5 etc. They really aren't all that remarkably different but the geeks had to have them to be first. He made everyday people suckers.

He's the techno version of Billy Mays...but not nearly as charming and his drugs of choice were deadlier.

Old 10-06-2011, 02:48 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,899 times
Hey, I have a an Ipad2. I enjoy it. It's fun. It's a nice toy. It's not a revolutionary, world changing invention.

Old 10-06-2011, 02:49 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Hey, I have a an Ipad2. I enjoy it. It's fun. It's a nice toy. It's not a revolutionary, world changing invention.
AHA!

So you too are a Steve Jobs customer!

Old 10-06-2011, 02:55 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,899 times
No..it was a gift from my consultant at Christmas. He is an Apple geek.

Like I would pay $800 for that toy. Talk about overpriced video game machine.

Oh wait..there is an app for that. Does next to nothing without buying those Apps...but hey, that was a great business model. Sucker them into this World Changing Device..then keep charging them to make it worthwhile.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:32 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,822,589 times
Quote:
yep..he is dead. And now all you read from Generation Iidiot is that he has "changed the world".

So did he change the world?

or was he just a master gadget maker and marketer of such?

Is he really comparable to Henry Ford, Thomas Edison or Marconi? I don't think so. However, those addicted to their Ipacifier seem to think their world has been shaken to the core because they can play Angry Birds while commuting.
Why is Ford on your list? He did the same thing that Jobs did - took existing devices and practices and refined them into a highly successful business model.

I'm no Apple fan boy - don't own a Mac or I anything, and I hate Itunes and the Apple model of total control over the hardware and software, but I can give credit where it is due.

Jobs helped make PCs a viable consumer product, just like Ford did with cars. He also accelerated the way music is sold and popularized the dominate way people listen to it today. Just like Ford did with cars. He accelerated the change to smart phones and flat tablets and the way people buy software to put on them. I doubt that smart phones are going away anytime soon. People now or in the future ask how did we get mini computers in our pockets, Jobs will be the one most thought of.

Jobs was also always highly involved in what and how products were developed, and for that matter the functions they provided. There are probably thousands of Wozniacks out there, but they were both lucky they found each other.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:36 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
w/o cell phones and portable computers my life would not be a fraction as successful and my parents care would suffer greatly for lack of timely advocacy.
he was 8 years my senior, guna miss em.
we give a low esteem to winners in this country, we will pay a heavy price for this mind set.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:37 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,632,037 times
Here's some more into Jobs' life.

Steve Jobs' Secret Private Life - ABC News

Old 10-06-2011, 03:46 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
Why is Ford on your list? He did the same thing that Jobs did - took existing devices and practices and refined them into a highly successful business model.
Quite True but in the process he made ownership possible for the average person. His production methods lowered the cost to produce and therefore the cost to own. Apple products on the other hand although neat to have were never resonable in price...

As for his passing my condolences to his wife and 4 kids....

Old 10-06-2011, 03:51 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,747,138 times
Quote:
Are you finished?

I gave you the benefit of doubt, but this is bizarre. Do you have any technological education in your background?

Ok, hear me out, electronics engineering major here (actually worked on microprocessors and still do, in my spare time).... Steve is a programmer/techie/hardware assembler of the highest calibre. He belongs to a group like the "Apostles" who created silicon valley.

Again, don't judge him based on the Apple fans. Please
He was a legend..a great innovator and marketer. But seriously, it's not like he cured cancer or anything. What does being an engineer have to do with the rest of the world. There are lots of people on facebook that don't even know who he is. He helped advance electronics to what they are today..helped, not invented everything in site. I think Linux, google chrome and open platforms like android are much more revolutionary and beneficial to the world. Google even gave it away for free and it's an awesome OS. Google saved people billions of dollars doing this and really created the surge in smart phones we are seeing today.

Apple's very greedy as a company -- they are extremely proprietary, overcharge on all their products, keep everything secret, outsource most of their production to Asia, encroach into every single market they can, etc etc.. Nothing that deserves major reverence like this. And there's no way to disconnect Apple & Jobs.

Quote:
This is a joke?

He generated revenue and exponential growth in the greatest bear market since the depression.

Something noone has even attempted to do in Wall Street. Not even Bernanke, Congress and the President.
I have no idea why this is relevant.

Sent from my Motorola Startac using Tapatalk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies