Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 11:12 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,346,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
OMG! You MUST listen and watch this video.

Look at these fools, with this strange echo chamber. Now, we all know Lewis is a revered civil rights leader...but they dissed him.

Just watch the whole agonizing ten minutes, please. It is well worth it, especially watching the "leader" of this mob.

Occupy Atlanta Silences Civil Rights Hero John Lewis! - YouTube

Got to watch this video - one of the protesters is very angry and Occupy seems to have lost her.

Do these people realize how insane they appear?

Occupy Wall Street protests come to Atlanta - CBS Atlanta 46

Absolutely amazing....and these people want to run things?

This video, should be shown over and over again, across the nation, to show what a bunch of loons we have here.

Was the congressman invited there to speak, or was he just there?
Looks like he was just there.

Funny how some on the right portray him as a civil rights leader today, when just a few months ago, they were calling him a bold faced liar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 11:15 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,392,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
Was the congressman invited there to speak, or was he just there?
Looks like he was just there.

Funny how some on the right portray him as a civil rights leader today, when just a few months ago, they were calling him a bold faced liar.
You can be both a civil rights leader and a liar. Most are.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:21 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
When the sane & the psychos both want an administration change, the Obama crew goes into full disaster mode.

Old 10-09-2011, 12:54 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
What is not amazing, is the complete lack of understanding by many, why these people prefer that no one co-opt their protests. It isn't about left, right, race or any of the favored buzz issues. it's about the people having lost value to the Corps and the Govt.

Well florida.bob, believe it or not I agree with you 100%.

Yes today all my conservative friends got it exactly wrong.

Apart from what specific issues they may or may not agree on, their process is spot on.

The reason so many other movements of the people have been co-opted by the powers that be is because people like Lewis have been allowed to become more important than the people they represent.

Maybe this is all theater to disguise the big money behind these "spontaneous" uprisings, but for right now I'll give benefit of doubt to the assembled group.

If there are any issues which are common the Tea Party Movement and this new movement (whatever it is), a consensus on those issues between the two movements could do wonders to resolve America's greatest problem, tone-deaf top-down party-first DC insider politicians who ignore the voices of their constituents.

Old 10-09-2011, 01:56 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post

What's funny about that? You can be both quite easily.

Old 10-09-2011, 02:42 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post

Apart from what specific issues they may or may not agree on, their process is spot on.

The reason so many other movements of the people have been co-opted by the powers that be is because people like Lewis have been allowed to become more important than the people they represent.

Maybe this is all theater to disguise the big money behind these "spontaneous" uprisings, but for right now I'll give benefit of doubt to the assembled group.

If there are any issues which are common the Tea Party Movement and this new movement (whatever it is), a consensus on those issues between the two movements could do wonders to resolve America's greatest problem, tone-deaf top-down party-first DC insider politicians who ignore the voices of their constituents.
The are similar issues between the OWS and TParty of early 2009. I went to a couple of the early meetings, but I could see where it was going. The initial positions were twisted to mean something else by some power people. As it turned out, the TParty now pretty much exemplifies what they were initially so against. I hope the OWS people are not looking to a similar irrelevance. What I would like to see, is the original TParty people, if any are still around, get with the OWS group and create a common position and objective.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:37 PM

24,411 posts, read 23,070,474 times
Wait until the hippies, the disenfranchised and especially the disillusioned kids start getitng rowdy at democrat campaign rallies. They'll go into direct conflict with the union thugs and hard core civil rights supporters and things will get messy.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:47 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,979,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post

The sad part is the Tea Party allowed itself to get co-opted by the GOP and right wing insiders. I hope OWS doesn't let that happen, but I fear they'll soon allow the unions and the Democrats to come in and grab the reins and let the movement die. Once the unions get a hold of something you can be sure it's about to die. I strongly support the idea of unionization and the idea of a liberal/progressive party like the Democrats supposedly are, I just believe the current crop of union "leaders" and Democratic "leaders" are fraud hucksters who look out only for their own power and bottom line while telling the people they're looking out for them.

If OWS is to succeed it needs to remain non-partisan and above political mudslinging. If it allows itself to become astroturf cover for political parties and powerful special interests they will become figureheads propping up the very system they started out railing against.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:37 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
The are similar issues between the OWS and TParty of early 2009. I went to a couple of the early meetings, but I could see where it was going. The initial positions were twisted to mean something else by some power people. As it turned out, the TParty now pretty much exemplifies what they were initially so against. I hope the OWS people are not looking to a similar irrelevance. What I would like to see, is the original TParty people, if any are still around, get with the OWS group and create a common position and objective.

Well, the first common issue appears to be accountability. The Tea Party Movement opposed the bailouts, the special treatment political allies receive and passing trillions in government debt to our children.

The first order of business for those who would most benefit from bailouts, special treatment and exponential growth of government debt is get the OWS and Tea Party Movements to direct their anger at one another rather than the slime rags who continually pimp the system for their own benefit.

As for the Tea Party Movement being co-opted, I and others like me are still the only real Tea Party because we're with the ones with the signs. Any leaders of the movement are self-appointed. Any group which represents "the Tea Party" does so with their own endorsement. The Movement has always been spontaneous and leaderless. That's why it works and cannot be corrupted.

Of course Lewis and others are salivating at the thought of a Tea Party counterpart coming along just in time to be co-opted for the 2012 campaign. The Atlanta group, if they are sincere, have wisely chosen to follow our leaderless prescient. I hope they succeed in that since it is the only way to remain in charge of the people they seek to hold accountable.

Last edited by momonkey; 10-10-2011 at 07:53 AM..

Old 10-10-2011, 07:38 AM

48 posts, read 79,585 times
The Wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are to blame. We continue to pump manpower and $$$$$$$$$ into each country to improve their education systems, infrastructure (roads, highways, bridges, etc.) while neglecting the same back home in the United States.

If Iraq and Afghanistan are too move forward then they must step up themselves and fight for their freedom as our forefathers did in the 18th century. However, they're not stupid and they will continue to take our manpower and $$$$$$ as long as U.S. political and military leaders are willing to give them a free ride.

Wake up leaders and focus on fixing our problems at Home!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies