Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 12:17 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,206,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Is this taken from Mad Magazine?
See post #92
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 12:41 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,192,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
See post #92
"If your vehicle stalls and you leave it on the side of the road, you must mark the vehicle with a red, reflecting triangle."

- True. A road safety measure. Remember, Norway is a country with a long and dark winter. Not a big deal for most drivers.

"Licenses must be bought in order to own television sets, and even VCRs"

- Yes, you have to pay an annual tv licence fee. They got the same thing in the U.K. (BBC) and most of Western Europe.

"You may not spay your female dog or cat. However, male dogs can be neutered."

We had three of our cats castrated by the vet. Not illegal but there are some restrictions.

The other laws are of course just fabrications. I can see the humor, though.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:45 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,187,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Yup, I would LOVE a country that cares enough about it's people(The things that make up a country!) that they make sure babies(cradle) and the elderly(near the grave ) are taken care of...it's called being decent and civilized.

Yes, Norway has high taxes.

The high taxes pay for things like education.

Educated citizens get better jobs.

People in better jobs get higher pay so they pay high taxes which they can afford because they live in a country where they can get good jobs that pay well.

I know, Repugs can't follow anything so deep....especially when THEY are whining about how every penny of their taxes are spent.... like spoiled children who want everything for nothing....
Ah. So the US should just copy Norway's government, economy, and lifestyle, huh?

It can't. Norway has just 5 million people. The same as Chicago. It is either 1st or 2nd in per capita income from year to year as it is rich in natural resources, especially offshore oil. Norway's population is largely homogeneous, and has a long history of "same ness" in the population's support of its policies. Norway doesn't bear any responsibility for defense beyond its borders so its defense spending is low compared to GDP. They have only recently faced some immigration issues.

Norway can afford to provide these rich services in their social democracy. The US can't. Taxing billionaires more won't do it. And American citizens don't think enough alike to support polices like Norway's.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
The other laws are of course just fabrications. I can see the humor, though.
Hmmmm, So a travel guide is publishing lies about Norway huh?

Dumb laws in Europe | 1st Europe Travel Guide

I guess since Norwegians are so vastly superior to everyone else they couldn't possibly have any stupid laws...

Old 10-13-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Hmmmm, So a travel guide is publishing lies about Norway huh?

Dumb laws in Europe | 1st Europe Travel Guide

I guess since Norwegians are so vastly superior to everyone else they couldn't possibly have any stupid laws...
No but read the article before you post a comment. Remember, no travel guide is 100% accurate.

"Norway:
  • Licenses must be bought in order to own television sets, and even VCRs.
  • You may not spay your female dog or cat."
I cannot find:
"By law males must go off on expeditions of rape and plunder to nearby countries at least every 5 years."

"If you challenge a man to a fist fight to the death, he must accept or pay a penalty of 4 deer."

"On long winter days, when the sun does not rise, women must make themselves available to satisfy their husbands sexual pleasures."

You have been fooled by the Internet trolls. Sucker!

Old 10-13-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
No but read the article before you post a comment. Remember, no travel guide is 100% accurate.

"Norway:
  • Licenses must be bought in order to own television sets, and even VCRs.
  • You may not spay your female dog or cat."
I cannot find:
"By law males must go off on expeditions of rape and plunder to nearby countries at least every 5 years."

"If you challenge a man to a fist fight to the death, he must accept or pay a penalty of 4 deer."

"On long winter days, when the sun does not rise, women must make themselves available to satisfy their husbands sexual pleasures."

You have been fooled by the Internet trolls. Sucker!
Sorry if I believe an international travel guide over a Norwegian who's pride has been hurt that his/her country actually does have stupid laws...

Old 10-13-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Sorry if I believe an international travel guide over a Norwegian who's pride has been hurt that his/her country actually does have stupid laws...
Tell me, do you really believe this to be true?

"By law males must go off on expeditions of rape and plunder to nearby countries at least every 5 years." A peaceful country like Norway. Have you ever heard of the Nobel Peace Prize?

"If you challenge a man to a fist fight to the death, he must accept or pay a penalty of 4 deer." Fist fight? Deer? You have to be kidding me.

"On long winter days, when the sun does not rise, women must make themselves available to satisfy their husbands sexual pleasures." In the most gender equal country in the world. Yeah right.

You must be a troll. I have no other explanation.

Old 10-13-2011, 01:45 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times
Quote:
Is your pride hurt because the U.S. has stupid laws???

Old 10-13-2011, 01:46 PM

"By law males must go off on expeditions of rape and plunder to nearby countries at least every 5 years." Actually, this sounds more like an American law

Old 10-13-2011, 01:52 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,107,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
You just have to play the multicultural game and duck when somebody snaps and goes to an islands and starts shooting everybody.
What?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies