Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 01:48 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,517,345 times

Advertisements

No, taxpayers shouldn't pay off your student loans.

But how about if taxpayers could write off investment losses the same way as investors who lose money in the stock market when their college educations don't pay off financially?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 02:05 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,033,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
No, taxpayers shouldn't pay off your student loans.

But how about if taxpayers could write off investment losses the same way as investors who lose money in the stock market when their college educations don't pay off financially?
How about if the federal government never gave 100 percent payback guarantees for defaulted student loans to banks and Sallie Mae...
to include not just amount borrowed, but accumulated interest as well.

Want a fair playing field for students - get rid of Guaranteed Student Loans
backed by the federal government for the enrichment of banks and let
students file bankruptcy in court just like ANY OTHER CONSUMER DEBT.

Quit making student loan debt akin to being a mortgage holder of an education without a job or a house, for the rest of their adult working life.

Learn the facts.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:05 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,939,298 times
^what they said. You have no idea how the student loan industry or how banks derivatize student loan debt and reap tons of profit off of handing out bad loans through student loan asset backed securities. Do your homework on SLABS and then make an objective assessment of the situation. Students and there families are definitely NOT on a level playing field with banks and universities.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:19 AM

1,332 posts, read 996,740 times
Default What they should do,......`

the government would be better off to right now FORGIVE all student loans currently on the books, and then get OUT of the business of making them.

This could cure some of what ails the OWS crowd....not having to pay back their student loans. AND it would give the government a way out of spending money that we don't have.

Let the States handle student loans with in-state tuition assistance and scholarships. If the fed wants to get involved in college education, let them provide a free ticket....full ride scholarships to the top 1% of LEGAL CITIZEN students. That would insure that the brightest are educated to the fullest without worries of having to pay for a thing...and that would help propel us towards the top in the tech, medical, and science fields again.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:18 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,163,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
How about if the federal government never gave 100 percent payback guarantees for defaulted student loans to banks and Sallie Mae...
to include not just amount borrowed, but accumulated interest as well.

Want a fair playing field for students - get rid of Guaranteed Student Loans
backed by the federal government for the enrichment of banks and let
students file bankruptcy in court just like ANY OTHER CONSUMER DEBT.

Quit making student loan debt akin to being a mortgage holder of an education without a job or a house, for the rest of their adult working life.

Learn the facts.
Not singling you out....you're just the next person to use this argument....but you're wrong. There is no such thing as a "Guaranteed Student Loan" sold by banks or lenders anymore. The federal government has exclusive control of federal student loans. Take a look at Sallie Mae's website....only Private Loans are offered anymore.

As you said.....learn the facts.

Also, bankruptcy for student loans is a TERRIBLE idea! Kids would have ZERO reason not to rack up 100K in student loans and then file for bankruptcy. It makes no logical sense whatsoever to allow this to happen.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
^what they said. You have no idea how the student loan industry or how banks derivatize student loan debt and reap tons of profit off of handing out bad loans through student loan asset backed securities. Do your homework on SLABS and then make an objective assessment of the situation. Students and there families are definitely NOT on a level playing field with banks and universities.
The federal government has exclusive control of presently offered federal student loans. What banks do with pre-existing loans is their business and not for you or anyone else to say what they should and shouldn't do. But it should be also known that they are no longer in the business of offering federal student loans.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall_Rep View Post
the government would be better off to right now FORGIVE all student loans currently on the books, and then get OUT of the business of making them.

This could cure some of what ails the OWS crowd....not having to pay back their student loans. AND it would give the government a way out of spending money that we don't have.

Let the States handle student loans with in-state tuition assistance and scholarships. If the fed wants to get involved in college education, let them provide a free ticket....full ride scholarships to the top 1% of LEGAL CITIZEN students. That would insure that the brightest are educated to the fullest without worries of having to pay for a thing...and that would help propel us towards the top in the tech, medical, and science fields again.
Horrible idea. A free ride is not the American Way (at least not yet). It is incumbent on the person who signed on the dotted line to pay their obligations that they willingly and knowingly assumed. This IS the American Way, and it should not change.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:37 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,570,714 times
Personally, I don't believe that debt should ever be relieved. It is that mentality that has allowed us to get into the mess we are in, now. I don't believe that we should have debtor's prisons, but I do believe that debt should be eventually paid off by the person that enjoyed the benefits of the funds borrowed. If that means they only pay $5/week for the rest of their lives, so be it.

As a people, we need to start understanding that our choices have consequences. No one held a gun to any student's head and said "Borrow, or else."

I came from extremely poor circumstances when I graduated from high school in Michigan in '74, when people were sleeping in their cars because of the debacle in Detroit. It was difficult, but I worked my way through college. Some quarters I couldn't go, others I only took one class, but I got my education and the rewards it provided without one cent of student loans.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:50 AM

1,610 posts, read 1,784,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Personally, I don't believe that debt should ever be relieved. It is that mentality that has allowed us to get into the mess we are in, now. I don't believe that we should have debtor's prisons, but I do believe that debt should be eventually paid off by the person that enjoyed the benefits of the funds borrowed. If that means they only pay $5/week for the rest of their lives, so be it.

As a people, we need to start understanding that our choices have consequences. No one held a gun to any student's head and said "Borrow, or else."

I came from extremely poor circumstances when I graduated from high school in Michigan in '74, when people were sleeping in their cars because of the debacle in Detroit. It was difficult, but I worked my way through college. Some quarters I couldn't go, others I only took one class, but I got my education and the rewards it provided without one cent of student loans.
I understand what your saying but in reality its not alot of jobs out there and contrary to popular belief if a student owes $100k in school loans he's not gonna graduate and finish school then flip burgers till his opportunity opens up with a career. Truth is, outsourcing is destroying our economy and many tech jobs are being sent overseas and replaced with lower paying jobs here.

Something has to give, you have to socialize something education or healthcare but no one is gonna pay what they don't have and the word default doesn't scare people that much anymore.

I agree with you if America had adequate opportunity but it doesn't, those kids aren't protesting for the hell of it.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Old 10-13-2011, 06:54 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,795,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall_Rep View Post

I don't agree that they should be written off. It was their choice to go to a college they couldn't afford, their choice not to work to pay their own way through college or to party their spring breaks instead of working hard like so many do. Why should they be given all this free money?

If they won't pay back their loans they took to get their degrees, then yank their degrees too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies