Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 12:35 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
This is where a democracy needs to work.

The Parents of the school should have a vote to remove this person as the one in charge of their children during the school day. Is this what the DOE is pushing these days?
Those parents do have that right but most of them have come to see PC as a very important thing and won't stand up to protest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 12:42 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Isn't it ironic that a school system can be geographically so very close to the location of the founding of this nation's freedom and so far from actually allowing personal liberty. It is a symptom of a larger disease of the East coast.

Maybe they should just cancel the celebration of all holidays at the schools but actually teach non-politically correct history? Naw........

Old 10-16-2011, 12:44 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Isn't it ironic that a school system can be geographically so very close to the location of the founding of this nation's freedom and so far from actually allowing personal liberty. It is a symptom of a larger disease of the East coast.

Maybe they should just cancel the celebration of all holidays at the schools but actually teach non-politically correct history? Naw........
I wanted to rep that post but couldn't.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:55 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
“We can no longer do so. For many of us and our students celebrating this particular person is an insult and a slight to the people he annihilated.â€
And she's a teacher? Columbus annihilated no one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I probably wouldn't do Columbus Day, simply because the discovery did unleash a chain of tragic events that led to the end of many native american cultures.
Really? Name one. Funny, but Native Americans committed genocide on a much larger scale than Europeans did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
But see no qualms about Thanksgiving. The puritan settlement of New England is something to celebrate on many, many levels.
Really? Name one. Puritans banned Christmas, banned birthdays, banned just about everything that you might consider to be fun.

Well, maybe not everything. They did burn "witches."

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Most people don't know that Columbus didn't ever step foot on U.S. soil. Most Americans are so ignorant.
There's a strong body of evidence that he might have actually seen the coast of what is now Florida, but there is no evidence he set foot in the Americas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Stuff like this gives a whole NEW meaning to tolerance doesn't it ?
Yes, indeed. Makes you wonder.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:21 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I was talking about Halloween, not Thanksgiving or Christmas. I was asked by one of your fellow travelers to provide a link to back up my assertion that Halloween is frequently opposed by conservative Christians.

Thanksgiving is NOT a Christian holiday; American Jews celebrate it too.

I do not think religious holidays should be "celebrated" in the public schools.
With all respect for those who like Halloween, some people do use this day to bring a dark side to the world. Halloween is fun and that's how it should be. Halloween has been changed to Fall Festival.

Just strange that the left, would want Halloween a basically dark Holiday, over Thanksgiving or Christmas. Why argue over any of it.

By the way, I'm aware of Thanksgiving not being a Christian holiday, it doesn't have Jesus in it. When Christmas is celebrated in public school's it's not religious............ are you serious. Our programs were more about Santa and elves, than Jesus and Apostles.

Let the kids have their fun, adults are sooooo boring at times.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:53 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,206,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
With all respect for those who like Halloween, some people do use this day to bring a dark side to the world. Halloween is fun and that's how it should be. Halloween has been changed to Fall Festival.

Just strange that the left, would want Halloween a basically dark Holiday, over Thanksgiving or Christmas. Why argue over any of it.

By the way, I'm aware of Thanksgiving not being a Christian holiday, it doesn't have Jesus in it. When Christmas is celebrated in public school's it's not religious............ are you serious. Our programs were more about Santa and elves, than Jesus and Apostles.

Let the kids have their fun, adults are sooooo boring at times.
I'm not left, but I only brought up Halloween because it's the only holiday our district had a controversy over. We still have Christmas and Thanksgiving break. We've never called spring break Easter break, but the classrooms have eggs and bunnies in them. Our only controversy was over Halloween, and it wasn't for "pc' reasons...

Old 10-16-2011, 02:04 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,995,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Stuff like this gives a whole NEW meaning to tolerance doesn't it ?
The great liberal irony- how their extreme 'tolerance' has morphed into extreme intolerance. Many of us saw this coming, didn't we?

The Intolerance of Tolerance

The Tolerance Trick

Political correctness will choke this country to death if we don't put a stop to it. We must fight back against it, whereever we see it, otherwise it will creep into everyday life. I hope people are sending this principal a barrage of emails and letters and phone calls to voice their displeasure at her poorly thought out reasoning for banning holidays.

To ban holidays would be the same as committing cultural suicide. To turn our culture into a blank slate is when other nefarious cultures will see the opening and take hold.

Old 10-16-2011, 02:13 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Good GAWD! All the allegedly adult whiny cry babies!

NO ONE IS TAKING AWAY YOUR CANDY you whimpering brats!

YOU may celebrate any damn thing you please!

Just NOT in a PUBLIC school....see, righties, school is for that evil thing...education...NOT parties.

The ONLY education you're giving your children is how to whine about not getting everything handed to you on a silver platter.

GROW UP!

You know damn well you can celebrate any damn stupid holiday you want...

Old 10-16-2011, 02:15 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,957,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
It was never your way of life now was it? I am glad that I could amuse you. I see it takes very little to do so.
Nah, but it does show the continuing ignorance of the white-eye when it comes to the native people of this land. They still do not understand that we live with the legacy of the conquest every day. It's a simple difference of linear versus circular thinking. Despite the fact that I have a Masters degree in Computer Information Systems and work as an engineer for a major corporation designing satellite communications networks, does not change the fact that I hang on to what's left of my culture to include language (yes, I can speak it), religion, values, and traditions. So what you say couldn't be more wrong and show more and more of what you do not know or understand. It is still my culture and it is quite alive.

The reality of the situation is that the Democrats and Republicans, liberals and conservatives alike could care less about Indian people nor take the time to learn or understand. Liberals think that by throwing us a bone like backing the Columbus Day issue or sports team renaming issue that they are doing something for us. Symbolism over substance that, in the end, does nothing for Indian people. They wish to keep up the pitiful handouts that do nothing but continue the cycle of dependency on this government. Conservatives, well, they won't be happy until they eradicate our cultures completely and turn us into good little Christian white men.

Either way, the ignorance, indifference and symbolic gesturing toward the original inhabitants of this land from both sides do nothing but "keep us in our place." Both sides would just as soon have us just shut up and be conquered.

Old 10-16-2011, 02:18 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,957,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Funny, but Native Americans committed genocide on a much larger scale than Europeans did.
Genocide? You don't know what in the hell you are talking about. Tribal warfare is not genocide. That's the biggest apologist stretch I've ever heard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies