Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2011, 12:37 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,149,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Typical.

The Democratic Primary was not a choice between Bush and 0bama.
Typical

I am no more responsible for Obama winning the primary than you (aparently) are for him winning the general election.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 12:39 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
What, exactly, would McCain and Palin have done that would have been so awful?

More employment and less deficits?
McCain could have died. That would have been pretty awful.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:42 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
It is o.k.

We Bush supporters from 2000 have long admitted that we were wrong about Bush.

Why can't former Obama supporters do the same thing?
I think you haven't been paying attention. Many of us that voted for Obama have displayed great displeasure at his being Bush 3.0.

Bush, even at the depths of his (un) popularity still had the core right-wing. I don't think you can expect any less\more from the left-wingers that will support Obama no matter what out of blind loyalty.

The saddest part is the 2008 death of the anti-war movement.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:46 PM

912 posts, read 1,332,011 times
Raises hand in thread.I am one who will admit to being wrong.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:50 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
I will not admit I was wrong, because I wasn't.

I voted Hillary in the primary, and felt Obama was too unseasoned and probably too conciliatory, and a mediator-type. I even considered voting for McCain until I watched Sarah Palin's speech at the GOP convention, and thought, "here we go, right back to the typical Republican meanness and idiotic phrases." So I voted for politics that more closely match my values than those of the Republican party. And I'll do it again. I didn't vote for hope and change, I voted for Democratic policies.

And in any event, I was proven right - Obama has been a mediator-type president, and hasn't shown much knack at arm-twisting or hardball politics. So how could I apologize for being wrong?

Funny how posters who admit they feel negatively about Obama now are lauded as "honest" and "open-minded", yet those who honestly and for good reason will vote again for Obama are not.
You know something Rob, I went throught a very similar thought process. I liked McCain better but Palin one heartbeat away was intolerable.

One comment though, I bolded the part of your post that you should re-read. You've already decided to support Obama again and you have no idea whom might be running as a republican. In addition, you aren't even contemplating voting 3rd party or abstaining in protest?

All I know at this point is that I am VERY interested in reducing our wars and foreign entanglements and their enormous bankrupting pricetags. I feel like I was grossly misled in that Obama hasn't even been a mediator but rather flat out is Bush 3.0. I won't vote for Obama again, I'd not vote at all as an option.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:56 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,483,876 times
I almost voted for Obama! I listened to this guy online, drank the kool-aid and was driving to the polling joint to cast my vote for 0. My gut however told me to be very careful or I could be kicking myself in a couple of years for casting that vote. I got in the booth and wrote Ron Paul on my ballot.

My conscience is clear.

Old 10-17-2011, 01:28 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
I almost voted for Obama! I listened to this guy online, drank the kool-aid and was driving to the polling joint to cast my vote for 0. My gut however told me to be very careful or I could be kicking myself in a couple of years for casting that vote. I got in the booth and wrote Ron Paul on my ballot.

My conscience is clear.

Old 10-17-2011, 01:30 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
No, we're in economic doldrums because people liked George W. Bush so much they elected him twice.

Did you forget how many employees were losing their jobs every month, and how much your investments and home value had dropped, before Obama was sworn in?
...and what a great job he has done in fixing this.

Obama was NOT inaugurated yesterday.

I guess the line will be "just give him another 4 years and he'll have things in ship shape!"

Old 10-17-2011, 01:50 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,640,250 times
I won't say that I was wrong to vote for him in '08 as I believed he would make a difference. Now, I'm fairly disappointed and disillusioned - I don't think he was qualified enough to be president but I don't think he was a complete and utter failure either. I'm not sure who will get my vote in 2012 because none of the other candidates are any better. I think the two-party system is definitely "played out" and Americans need more (and better) choices. Democrats are Republicans are "different wings on the same bird."

Last edited by Praline; 10-17-2011 at 02:53 PM..

Old 10-17-2011, 02:15 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,230,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You know something Rob, I went throught a very similar thought process. I liked McCain better but Palin one heartbeat away was intolerable.

One comment though, I bolded the part of your post that you should re-read. You've already decided to support Obama again and you have no idea whom might be running as a republican. In addition, you aren't even contemplating voting 3rd party or abstaining in protest?

All I know at this point is that I am VERY interested in reducing our wars and foreign entanglements and their enormous bankrupting pricetags. I feel like I was grossly misled in that Obama hasn't even been a mediator but rather flat out is Bush 3.0. I won't vote for Obama again, I'd not vote at all as an option.
Romney is the only Republican candidate with a chance of nomination that I'm not unduly concerned about winning the WH - but I won't vote for him. Huntsman isn't getting the nomination. Though I agree with a few of Ron Paul's ideas (foreign entanglements being the main one), his overall vision of federal government in relation to state governments is one I reject.

I have never abstained from voting in a national election and do not consider that as an option unless the candidates were all to be intolerable to me. Obama has not been everything I wished for, but he is far from intolerable for me. I also do not know of a 3rd party candidate to vote for, and in any event, the direction and focus of today's Republican party makes it imperative to me that Republicans not win in the White House or Congress.

As for protest votes, I have never seen the Democratic Party "get" a message that they need to be more liberal due to losing an election. When there has been low Democratic voter turnout in past elections, I don't believe it's been because disappointed voters felt the Democrats had not been liberal enough, nor have more liberal Democrats been proven to be more successful at winning a subsequent election. And I'm a pragmatist. I don't expect a Kucinich or Nader style of politician to be a winning proposition in a national contest. I'll accept progress slowly over none at all.

I disagree that Obama has been Bush 3. Would Bush have done the same as Obama with DADT? DOMA? What about the Regent U. lawyers in DOJ rejecting applicants based on political ideology? Supreme Court appointments? Stem cell research? The Ledbetter Act? And though PPACA isn't close to what I wished for, do you seriously think anything different could have passed, or that Republicans, if in control, would have done anything about national healthcare? Also, from my memory of the campaign, Obama did not promise to get out of Afghanistan, at least not quickly or as a priority, and I get tired of hearing claims that he broke this "promise", but correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes, I'm voting party line. Because I don't find that Republicans share my values, and Democrats are more likely to share them, and sometimes even do things that match my values closely. I don't buy into a feeling of "he'd be a great president, even if he gives political strength to a party that believes and acts completely contrary to my beliefs."

Thank you for the tone of your post, btw.

Last edited by robbobobbo; 10-17-2011 at 02:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies