Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 08:15 AM

328 posts, read 1,034,012 times

Advertisements

Tiptoeing around this issue is getting old IMO.......Are we seeing the world engaging in a "Holy War?" Is Afganistan and Iraq the starting points? When and where will it expand? If "The World" will not define what is truly happening let us here on CD be "The Deciders." Holy War or not ....What is it?
Spiritwalker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 08:20 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,623,897 times
"Holier than thou "war more like it...

Old 08-23-2007, 08:46 AM

13,607 posts, read 21,389,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
"Holier than thou "war more like it...
besides Iraq,Afghanistan is just.The muslims involved in 9-11,Britian's bombings and other attacks around the world are involved in a holy war in their mind.So Iraq may turn out to be a blunder,America foreign policy may need to be changed but that does not justify the civilians murdered in those attacks.If military targets would have been hit,it might have seemed more "fair".But we are not dealing with a enemy with a conventional military and goals.

It is right to fight back,caution just needs to be used on where we fight them and how.And by caution I mean on the terms but when we fight we must fight to win with a strategy that will not turn out as a occupation indefinately like Iraq.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:49 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,368,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritwalker View Post
Tiptoeing around this issue is getting old IMO.......Are we seeing the world engaging in a "Holy War?" Is Afganistan and Iraq the starting points? When and where will it expand? If "The World" will not define what is truly happening let us here on CD be "The Deciders." Holy War or not ....What is it?
Spiritwalker

Shortly after 9/11 Bush himself referred to the coming Crusade. So the question is: Is a prep-schooled, Yale educated man really that ignorant about history or did he mean what he said?

Old 08-23-2007, 08:51 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,582,560 times
We are fighting a political war and the enemy is fighting a holy war.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:54 AM

the safety of American and allied people are at stake by people who just want to kill,in uniform or not.They must be dealt with.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:55 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,553,886 times
I think part of the problem is it's a "partially Holy" War. Those on the opposition's side, of course, are fighting under a mandate from Allah; this is what makes their position so tenacious and their leaders so unwilling to "bargain". You can't bargain with someone who's fighting on orders from on high, which he sees as non-negotiable and "out of his hands".
Meanwhile, we in the West have, centuries ago, lost any sort of ability to become excited about any sort of Holy War (with a few notable exceptions in a few high government positions who DO have a "mandate"). Our purpose is a far more "fluffy" one, not altogether understood by any of us---something, as I recall, about "spreading democracy"---"helping other folks to live in freedom"---or something like that---I guess these things are so desirable that it should be a simple matter to keep blasting away at these stubborn primitives until they finally realize just how much we really care about their welfare----I'm sure we break into their houses and search them far more gently than the OTHER side does...or something like that. Also, (and nobody really thinks about this), it so happens that they're sitting on a lot of the world's oil reserves---not that this factors into the picture, you understand.
Hope I've made it all clear.......I think.....

Old 08-23-2007, 08:55 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,793,617 times
By going after an entire country instead of the terrorists responsible for 9/11 we are turning it into a Holy War.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:59 AM

spreading democracy is one thing we need to stop,at least by manipulation.Ron Paul is right,let us tend to ourselves and when we are happy and prosperous if others want to be like us they will do so on their own.

That said 9-11 is not something that can just be forgotten about.They must be engaged and not with diplomacy.One can argue pro or against the fact that American policies led to the attack but purposely targeting civilians can not be justified as a reasonable response to American foreign policy.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:01 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,793,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
spreading democracy is one thing we need to stop,at least by manipulation.Ron Paul is right,let us tend to ourselves and when we are happy and prosperous if others want to be like us they will do so on their own.

That said 9-11 is not something that can just be forgotten about.They must be engaged and not with diplomacy.
9/11 was saudi arabians, masterminded by guys in Pakistan and Afghanistan who are watching us in Iraq and laughing. Bush forgot about 9/11 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies