Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 03:39 PM

753 posts, read 843,371 times

Advertisements

When are folks gonna understand that marriage should ONLY be a religious ceremony? If you're a member of a Church that you want to get married in and they agree to do it, I'm happy for you and wish you the best.

I can't say I'd can even wrap my head around what's going on here (Sister Wives), but many would say that about me. So, get the Government out of our private lives!

'Sister Wives' describe harm of bigamy probe - Yahoo! News

Marriage Privatization is the only way to move forward with all 'marriages', 'unions', etc. Let folks have their ceremonies at Church and go draw up personal contracts with a lawyer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 03:58 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,897,817 times
Absolutely 100% agree.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:03 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Marriage for any but the wealthy who could afford to pay the priests to do the ceremony is a relatively modern tradition.
Be that as it may... no one pressing for the CIVIL right related gives a rats patootie what the several churches do
or don't. They're free to be as selective as they ever were in who they bestow their "blessings" upon.

The question is what happens at the County Court House when a couple wants to lay down their $10
(or whatever it is now) and some time later when they want to file their taxes or have a hospital/medical
matter or what becomes of their property when eventually they must bury one or the other.

What was is it you were whining about again?

Old 10-19-2011, 04:03 PM

679 posts, read 661,003 times
I agree as well.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:08 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,980,764 times
Hell yes, privatize marriage. What consenting adults do in the privacy of their homes and lives is none of my business or anyone else.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:12 PM

269 posts, read 255,993 times
When are people going to EVER realize marriage is not and never has been a solitary religious institution.

As for private life, I'm pretty sure marriages are done out in public, such as churches or resorts. People hold PUBLIC marriages, and then cry about their private lives being invaded. No, um, sorry, you chose to get married. You can also choose not to get married. That's essentially what this comes down to.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:13 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,988,918 times
Absolutely!

Because when divorces happen (and they do, 50% of the time) then sorting out who owns who will be so much easier...

Civil marriage is a contract. It is every bit as useful as a business contract.

Why don't I hear similar "Get government out of business associations!" whining? Get rid of companies. Get rid of incorporation. These are business entities created through government agencies. Of course, we can all imagine the fiasco of privatizing and/or scrapping these options. So it is with marriage.

So, you don't like my civil, never-went-near-a-church, marriage?

Tough. That's your problem, not mine.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:16 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Goverment got involved with marriage because they found they could make money off of issuing marriage licenses. A tax to get married.

I believe that Ron Paul does not believe government belongs in marriage either.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:19 PM

2,409 posts, read 3,041,798 times
MOST Americans want the government out of marriage. So why hasn't it happened? Let's put this issue on the ballot! Because government receives billions from poking their fascist noses into the marriage business. Look at how much your local municipalities make from charging a marriage license fee. LOL. It's all about money. Everything the government does is about funding and money. It's like a cancer. Always grows and grows. Just can't wait for the day when it kills its host.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:25 PM

753 posts, read 843,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

The question is what happens at the County Court House when a couple wants to lay down their $10
(or whatever it is now) and some time later when they want to file their taxes or have a hospital/medical
matter or what becomes of their property when eventually they must bury one or the other.

What was is it you were whining about again?
All of that should be dealt with privately with a personal attorney (Power of Attorney, Wills, etc.).

As far as the taxes, everyone should file separately. Why should we reward people involved in religious 'pacts'?

That's what I'm 'whining' about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies