Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 09:45 AM

74 posts, read 78,758 times

Advertisements

I have just sent the following message to MoveOn.org on what I feel should be their objectives for occupying Wall Street:
"Regarding the "Occupy Wall Street" movement which I fully support in your opposition to Wall Street's tactics, I am, however, concerned about one of the opposition's complaint to this movement and its many rallies throughout the land.

"That complaint is you are not saying what your objectives are for occupying Wall Street. I believe you should have those objectives and clearly state them.
Now I will give you and the public the reasons I support this occupation of Wall Street and the objectives why which I hope will also be your objectives.

"Objective #1 Enact tough campaign finance laws that will stop the candidates from knowing who donated and how much. Currently the candidates know who is contributing and how much and are of course swayed in their votes on issues before Congress. Just look up the list of contributors to each Senator or Representative and see how much each corporate entity donated and then find out how that Representative voted on issues that effected that contributor. The results are shocking and clear evidence our representatives in Congress are sold out to them and not us who put them office

"Objective #2 Before industry builds mines, oil refineries or drills either on land or in water or operates those now in existence it is imperative that the recommendations made by safety inspectors be followed and implemented to the letter regardless of the cost. Too many disasters in these areas have occurred killing and injuring thousands and all because corporations failed to follow the recommendations of the safety inspections because it would effect the profit line. IN OTHER WORDS IT IS TIME FOR CORPORATE AMERICA TO PUT HUMAN LIFE AHEAD OF PROFIT AND PARTICULARLY IN THE THE HEALTH CARE INDUSTRY WHERE IT IS NOW MORE IMPORTANT TO GET PAID THEN GET THE PATIENT WELL.

"Objective #3 Americans have the right to breathe clean air and drink clean water. Corporate America needs to respect this right and do everything possible to reduce or eliminate harmful pollutants into the air we breathe and water we drink whether it be construction of a facility or the operation thereof, irrespective of the global warming issue.

"Objective #4 Top management must treat its employees fairly and honestly. It is time for top management to stop making its employees pay for their financial mistakes, which have cost the company money. Before pay cuts or lesser hours are made, the same should apply to the management officials who made these financial blunders. Certainly the golden rule should apply here--do unto your employees as you would have them do unto you!

"Objective #5 Corporations need to obey the law when running their operations. One major law here is the observance of our current immigration laws. They need to be followed to the letter and allow no illegal immigrant to be in their employ. IT IS A FIRST CLASS FELONY TO DO OTHERWISE. Also it should not be allowed because of the advantage they take of these people underpaying them, abusing them and making them work under deplorable working conditions. Again this issue could come under the heading of putting profit ahead of human life.

"Objective #6 Corporate America needs to stop price gouging, constantly raising prices while at the same time not increasing the wages of those who work for them, which brings about poverty and other hardships. Unfortunately greed and covetousness have taken over Corporate America and are tuning capitalism and the free market system into something that will soon be worse than communism. We must go back to competitive pricing which will make things once again affordable for the American people. The American people want affordability, not price gouging.

"Objective #7 Corporate America needs to pay its fair share of taxes. It should not continuously try to find loop holes to avoid paying its share and stop sending the money out of the country to foreign tax shelters. With billions and millions declared as profit by corporations and their executives up to 30% of that amount should be subject to complete taxation without any loop holes allowed.

"Objective #8 Corporate America should do everything in its power to create jobs in this country and keep them here. It is time to stop buying made in China, Japan, or whatever and start manufacturing and selling goods made in America at AFFORDABLE AND COMPETITIVE PRICES. THIS WILL RESTORE CAPITALISM AND THE FREE MARKET SYSTEM TO ITS ORIGINAL VALUES THAT MADE THESE SYSTEMS THE ENVY OF THE WHOLE WORLD. IT IS TIME FOR CORPORATE AMERICA TO SHOW IT IS TRULY AMERICAN AND LOVES THIS COUNTRY BY PUTTING AMERICANS FIRST IN HIRING AND PRODUCING GOODS MADE IN AMERICA.

"I will gladly continue to support the occupiers of the Wall Street movement if they will publicly make these objectives a major part of their objectives and thus shut up the complaints of the Wall Street crowd."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 09:48 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Objectives?? LOL. Most of em probably aren't even registered to vote and you want them to now have political objectives. Or do you just want to go along with the evil corporation rant?

I think their first and foremost objective should be to take a shower and clean up their mess.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:49 AM

2,713 posts, read 3,024,274 times
Quote:
What Wall Street Protester's Objectives Should Be

To Occupy a Job.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:50 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,950,438 times
"I will gladly continue to support the occupiers of the Wall Street movement if they will publicly make these objectives a major part of their objectives and thus shut up the complaints of the Wall Street crowd."[/quote]

They now have a plan. It is a good one IMO.

OWS 99% come up with a plan?

Old 10-20-2011, 09:51 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,623,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Editorialist View Post
I have just sent the following message to MoveOn.org on what I feel should be their objectives for occupying Wall Street:
you forgot to demand a pony.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:58 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
All of the OP's demands sound reasonable to me. Good work, sir.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:59 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,011,664 times
Quote:
"Regarding the "Occupy Wall Street" movement which I fully support in your opposition to Wall Street's tactics, I am, however, concerned about one of the opposition's complaint to this movement and its many rallies throughout the land.

"That complaint is you are not saying what your objectives are for occupying Wall Street. I believe you should have those objectives and clearly state them.
Now I will give you and the public the reasons I support this occupation of Wall Street and the objectives why which I hope will also be your objectives.

"Objective #1 Enact tough campaign finance laws that will stop the candidates from knowing who donated and how much. Currently the candidates know who is contributing and how much and are of course swayed in their votes on issues before Congress. Just look up the list of contributors to each Senator or Representative and see how much each corporate entity donated and then find out how that Representative voted on issues that effected that contributor. The results are shocking and clear evidence our representatives in Congress are sold out to them and not us who put them office

"Objective #2 Before industry builds mines, oil refineries or drills either on land or in water or operates those now in existence it is imperative that the recommendations made by safety inspectors be followed and implemented to the letter regardless of the cost. Too many disasters in these areas have occurred killing and injuring thousands and all because corporations failed to follow the recommendations of the safety inspections because it would effect the profit line. IN OTHER WORDS IT IS TIME FOR CORPORATE AMERICA TO PUT HUMAN LIFE AHEAD OF PROFIT AND PARTICULARLY IN THE THE HEALTH CARE INDUSTRY WHERE IT IS NOW MORE IMPORTANT TO GET PAID THEN GET THE PATIENT WELL.

"Objective #3 Americans have the right to breathe clean air and drink clean water. Corporate America needs to respect this right and do everything possible to reduce or eliminate harmful pollutants into the air we breathe and water we drink whether it be construction of a facility or the operation thereof, irrespective of the global warming issue.

"Objective #4 Top management must treat its employees fairly and honestly. It is time for top management to stop making its employees pay for their financial mistakes, which have cost the company money. Before pay cuts or lesser hours are made, the same should apply to the management officials who made these financial blunders. Certainly the golden rule should apply here--do unto your employees as you would have them do unto you!

"Objective #5 Corporations need to obey the law when running their operations. One major law here is the observance of our current immigration laws. They need to be followed to the letter and allow no illegal immigrant to be in their employ. IT IS A FIRST CLASS FELONY TO DO OTHERWISE. Also it should not be allowed because of the advantage they take of these people underpaying them, abusing them and making them work under deplorable working conditions. Again this issue could come under the heading of putting profit ahead of human life.

"Objective #6 Corporate America needs to stop price gouging, constantly raising prices while at the same time not increasing the wages of those who work for them, which brings about poverty and other hardships. Unfortunately greed and covetousness have taken over Corporate America and are tuning capitalism and the free market system into something that will soon be worse than communism. We must go back to competitive pricing which will make things once again affordable for the American people. The American people want affordability, not price gouging.

"Objective #7 Corporate America needs to pay its fair share of taxes. It should not continuously try to find loop holes to avoid paying its share and stop sending the money out of the country to foreign tax shelters. With billions and millions declared as profit by corporations and their executives up to 30% of that amount should be subject to complete taxation without any loop holes allowed.

"Objective #8 Corporate America should do everything in its power to create jobs in this country and keep them here. It is time to stop buying made in China, Japan, or whatever and start manufacturing and selling goods made in America at AFFORDABLE AND COMPETITIVE PRICES. THIS WILL RESTORE CAPITALISM AND THE FREE MARKET SYSTEM TO ITS ORIGINAL VALUES THAT MADE THESE SYSTEMS THE ENVY OF THE WHOLE WORLD. IT IS TIME FOR CORPORATE AMERICA TO SHOW IT IS TRULY AMERICAN AND LOVES THIS COUNTRY BY PUTTING AMERICANS FIRST IN HIRING AND PRODUCING GOODS MADE IN AMERICA.

"I will gladly continue to support the occupiers of the Wall Street movement if they will publicly make these objectives a major part of their objectives and thus shut up the complaints of the Wall Street crowd."
Thanks for an original posting without resorting to 'links' to other peoples thoughts. I enjoyed reading what you had to say. I may not agree with all of your points, but at least you used your own brain tissue to state your opinion.

I admit, I have pretty well ignored this Wall Street situation, since there does not seem to be any clear objective on the demonstrators part. I mean, back in the late 1960s and early 1970s, when we went out to object, we usually had a clear reason for doing so, and a clear message in what we wanted (i.e., "Stop the War in Vietnam").

Let me add about the 'corporations' part: since corporations are legally deemed 'people' with many of the rights that a human has, then the 'corporate person' must obey the same laws as human people. Hence, I, a human, cannot go out and throw poisonous waste into the water supply, else I would be guilty of breaking the law, and subject to prison.

So, a corporation must also, as a 'person', obey the same law as me, and must be subject to the same penalties. The CEO of said corporate offender must serve the time in prison. After all, 'fining' a corporation does not hurt the top executives: they already got their money; the fine will simply be added to the 'cost of doing business', and perhaps lower the stockholders dividends (if they get any, anyway).

Old 10-20-2011, 10:01 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,283,089 times
* Take a bath.

* Filling out job applications at all the goodwill centers that would have them.

* Find good drug rehabilitation centers to get help.

* Don't expect free stuff.

* Honor your word to pay the college debt some of you had that nobody forced you to take.

* Ask not what your country can do for you, but what YOU can do for your country. (work and pay taxes where ever you can get a job. In some cases that might be 7-11. So be it, there is no shame in employment of any kind IMO.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:05 AM

2,713 posts, read 3,024,274 times
Quote:
They will past that along to their boss... Mr. Obama.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:52 PM

3,457 posts, read 3,623,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
you forgot to demand a pony.
sorry, this was a mean thing to say. here's what i should have said:

demands should be made to politicians, not corporations directly, and they should be specific policy ideas. Simply demanding that "Corporations stop doing XYZ" will get you nowhere.

Corporations exist to provide returns to shareholders, not to listen to your political demands. You're barking up the wrong tree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies