Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 02:55 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The Nation’s Ari Berman sat down with Amy Goodman on Democracy Now! today to explain the steps and consequences of these moves and the GOP’s systemic disfranchising effort to prevent voters from voting across the country. Berman points out that Republican officials and the pro-corporation conservative organization ALEC are behind these voter-repression drives.
Ari Berman on the GOP's War on Voting | The Nation

How else can the unpolular Neocon/Tea Party/GOP win an election?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 03:06 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Voter repression ? ROFL.

Old 10-23-2011, 04:43 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
What balderdash. Democrats want us to show ID when we buy cigarettes or a can of beer. If we don't, off to the hoosegow we go. And of course we've gotta have an FBI background check to buy a gun. And to open a bank account (remember the 'know your customer' dustup during the Clinton admin?).

But to vote? Why you're opressing the poor and people of color! You're a fascist!

If your vote is diluted by illegal votes, you have been disenfranchised. Guess which party favors this.

Old 10-23-2011, 04:46 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,980,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post

I just hope minorities are not as mean natured to us as we are to them when we are out of control.

Old 10-23-2011, 04:46 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Default Democrats promote voter fraud

Indiana Democrat Resigns Amid Voter Fraud Scandal

Old 10-23-2011, 05:38 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,206,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
What balderdash. Democrats want us to show ID when we buy cigarettes or a can of beer. If we don't, off to the hoosegow we go. And of course we've gotta have an FBI background check to buy a gun. And to open a bank account (remember the 'know your customer' dustup during the Clinton admin?).

But to vote? Why you're opressing the poor and people of color! You're a fascist!

If your vote is diluted by illegal votes, you have been disenfranchised. Guess which party favors this.
It's not just that they want ID. They're refusing to take student IDs, and they're shutting down DMV stations in areas near universities and in predominantly ethnic neighborhoods, so it's really difficult to get there to get a state ID. In some areas, they're charging a fee for the ID--thats a poll tax. Lots of urban people and students don't have a car, let alone a DL. It really impacts the ethnic elderly & poor, and students--the very group that the R's would benefit from keeping out of the polls. I'm a moderate R, and I'm ashamed of my party for this. We should be able to win by the strength of our ideas, and not by dirty tricks. This is wrong. This is being challenged in the courts, and I'm betting it's shot down--it should be.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:43 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,443,387 times
From former Alabama congressman Artur Davis (D):

Quote:
I've changed my mind on voter ID laws -- I think Alabama did the right thing in passing one -- and I wish I had gotten it right when I was in political office.

When I was a congressman, I took the path of least resistance on this subject for an African American politician. Without any evidence to back it up, I lapsed into the rhetoric of various partisans and activists who contend that requiring photo identification to vote is a suppression tactic aimed at thwarting black voter participation.

The truth is that the most aggressive contemporary voter suppression in the African American community, at least in Alabama, is the wholesale manufacture of ballots, at the polls and absentee, in parts of the Black Belt.

Voting the names of the dead, and the nonexistent, and the too-mentally-impaired to function, cancels out the votes of citizens who are exercising their rights -- that's suppression by any light.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:53 PM

227 posts, read 140,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
It's not just that they want ID. They're refusing to take student IDs, and they're shutting down DMV stations in areas near universities and in predominantly ethnic neighborhoods, so it's really difficult to get there to get a state ID. In some areas, they're charging a fee for the ID--thats a poll tax. Lots of urban people and students don't have a car, let alone a DL. It really impacts the ethnic elderly & poor, and students--the very group that the R's would benefit from keeping out of the polls. I'm a moderate R, and I'm ashamed of my party for this. We should be able to win by the strength of our ideas, and not by dirty tricks. This is wrong. This is being challenged in the courts, and I'm betting it's shot down--it should be.

So how do they buy booze and smokes if they don't have an ID.

Who doesn't have an ID. Why would anyone except maybe and old old person not have an ID. Getting an ID is a great moment of growing up.

Last edited by CaseyB; 10-25-2011 at 06:00 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 10-23-2011, 07:15 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0Newman0 View Post
Please enough with this garbage of you being a moderate repub. Enough with the lies.

So how do they buy booze and smokes if they don't have an ID.

Who doesn't have an ID. Why would anyone except maybe and old old person not have an ID. Getting an ID is a great moment of growing up.
I don't think many of these left leaners remember when they became 16 or 18 whichever milestone got them IDs. Actually all they are doing is continue to try to make the GOP look like the bad guys. If they can haul old people to the polls and cut the tires of GOP people wanting to do the same thing they should be able to buy their IDs for them. What states require that oldsters who don't drive buy IDs? Most of them can get those things for free and with over a year to do it in surely they could make it.

Unless 16 year olds are allowed to vote somewhere only the 18 year olds would be hurt. I love it when these people talk about not issuing IDs to college students since so many of them manage to vote at home and on campus. Oh yeah, lefties that was done too many times last time around.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:21 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post

A comprehensive article, you say? The article was very short so comprehensive can't be applicable. Democracy NOW and The Nation are the farthest left TV and magazine I know of, other than Free Speech TV which allows only lefties to speak freely on their site.

Amy Goodman managed to be on FreeSpeechTV very often when I could see it, and I tired quickly of her crap. Of course, it was very hard to watch either Free Speech or Democracy NOW if you weren't a pretty far left leaner. I just never managed much more time on either of them than most of you progs say you can watch either Fox or Beck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies