Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 05:25 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times

Advertisements

I sincerely hope you fall in love with a compatable partner and live happily ever after. Do what you want and your real friends will stick by you and the bigots will go away. Nobody needs them anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 05:31 AM

TR - Live your own life! Nobody is asking you to be gay so why be more concerned with "Tradition" then current reality. To hell with traditions. Most tradition is a system that uses women to support weak drunk males and excludes gay folk as a threat. I am more concerned with the here and now and the happiness of the living.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:31 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,574,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall_Rep View Post
I think the biggest objection to gay marriage is that marriage is a tradition here in this country. When any of us think of 'marriage'...we think of a man and a woman being joined. We think of marriage as the basis for FAMILY structure in our society...an denvironment to have and to raise children.

Gay marriage flies in the face of ALL of that. Many of us who object don't feel we should change our traditions to accomodate. We don't do it for mormons who believe that polygamy is proper..so why should we accomodate gays?

While some see homosexuality as 'normal', I believe most of the poipulation of this country see it as anything but normal. Some say....'Well what does it matter to you if 2 men get married? How is that impacting you in a negative way?' ...to those I answer this...Our traditions and customs belong to US. It is these very traditions and customs that you seek to alter. Many of us believe that once our traditions and customs are bastardized to accomodate everyone, then we have lost something very important.

Speaking for myself, I have been bombarded with the gay agenda for so long now, that I have become numb to it. In my state...NY....gay marriage has become legal. I don't agree with it...but I just don't care enough anymore to fight it. To me, there are more daunting challenges facing this country that whether or not gays can marry. And to be honest, the tradition of marriage has changed over the years anyway. So many people enter into it not being committed enough to work through problems, and the divorce rate is ridiculous.

I think I fear that once gays have established the right to marry, that they will then be calling for preferential hiring quotas...as with affirmative action. Other than that...I don't give a damn what gay people do.

This is an explanation from a normal, everyday American. (at least I think so)
i'm a normal everyday american. yet i was born gay. i think that phrasing this issue in terms of 'institutions' and 'tradition' is a way to make it seem that it impacts you when it really doesn't. you would still be marrying someone of the opposite sex in your church if you prefer even if there was gay marriage so it really wouldn't impact you in any way.

my parents got married in a courthouse.

again, what would you expect gay people to do then if you're against gay marriage? are you claiming that we don't love each other as much you do in your relationships?

Old 10-24-2011, 05:35 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,735,836 times
I don't think anyone want you to marry a woman, I guess a lot of people simply don't want you to get married at all

Old 10-24-2011, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I don't think anyone want you to marry a woman, I guess a lot of people simply don't want you to get married at all
i don't get why not. Why is it worse of for them if I marry? they would prefer people be unmarried? Is this an economic thing about keeping more money for themselves? do they just believe that the 14th amendment doesn't apply to us?

Old 10-24-2011, 05:42 AM

Be aware there are a tremendous number of very frightened people that use gay people as a scapegoat so they do not have to face the real enemy. Themselves.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
i don't get why not. Why is it worse of for them if I marry? they would prefer people be unmarried? Is this an economic thing about keeping more money for themselves? do they just believe that the 14th amendment doesn't apply to us?
Maybe it simply doesn't match the American Dream, which includes a nucleus family settling down in suburbia, having kids, a dog, at least one car, etc.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Maybe it simply doesn't match the American Dream, which includes a nucleus family settling down in suburbia, having kids, a dog, at least one car, etc.
but gay marriage is not for THEM. we're talking about gay people. why would THAT dream match US?

Old 10-24-2011, 06:07 AM

I suppose under the hood many Americans are pretty inflexible and intolerant, the more so the louder they insist on free speech etc. Like, anyone is free to think, do, and say anything they want - as long as it doesn't contradict my own views
Not to mention the role religion plays for many of them. When someone thinks an old book's content came from god, and that book says anything against homosexuality (which many say it does, I don't know), their rejection of gays is supported by god, obviously

Old 10-24-2011, 06:11 AM

23,964 posts, read 15,069,127 times
I do not care what grown people do in the privacy of their home.

Sometimes I think we have confused homosexuality with promiscuity.

My marriage license created a legal partnership. And at the time declared to the State of Texas that no STD's were present.

The tax codes of every state and the federal government are in shambles anyway. We need to decide what constitutes household income. Revise the tax structure now. Stop subsidizing behavior, rewarding friends and punishing enemies

Churches can do as they please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies