Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2011, 01:08 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,777,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
You are getting very broad.

There are a lot of Black hispanics, Asians, Middle easterners & Brazilians.

In your classification they would all be African American.
Why is that? What do Asians and Middle Easterners have to do with it?

It's simple, if you are the citizen of an American country and of predominantly sub-Saharan genetic ancestry, you are an Afro-American. For instance most people in Bahia, Brazil are Afro-Americans, there is even an Afro-American community in Uruguay my friend there has told me. They stage one of the biggest Carnivals in the world there every year.
Afro-American peoples of the Americas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-25-2011, 01:08 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,433,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
More likely that a lot of Latinos don't like themselves being separated from White and being put in the same group as people who are brown and short.
Latinos who could pass as Black generally do not complain about them being put in a different category from Black, yet a lot of those who are white seem to be passionate about proclaiming/defending their whiteness. They longingly look back to the days not so lang ago (up to the 1980s) when Latinos in general were automatically considered White.

Afro latinos not having a problem being considered something other than "black" is a different subject.

For white Latinos, though, how would you like to be stripped of your identity and told you are not what you know you are and identify with?

Kinda like if American blacks were told by Africans that they "aren't black" because so many (most) have a good amount of % white mixture. Already black Americans get told they "aren't African" by Africans, and for many, it hurts. Where you are born shouldn't create a racial identity.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:09 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,929,849 times
latinos were never considered white.

ive never come across a latino who said they were white.

not everyone wants to be white.

im mixed, half white/half black. technically i could say i am white, since genetically i am more white then latinos.

you dont see me running around with a sign saying i want to be labeled white.

tired of this white is right, bs. people dont buy that crap anymore, even though whites try to keep sell it.

the hispanics who want to be labeled white are as pathetic as the whites who tan all day and want to be black.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:16 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,687,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Afro latinos not having a problem being considered something other than "black" is a different subject.

For white Latinos, though, how would you like to be stripped of your identity and told you are not what you know you are and identify with?

Kinda like if American blacks were told by Africans that they "aren't black" because so many (most) have a good amount of % white mixture. Already black Americans get told they "aren't African" by Africans, and for many, it hurts. Where you are born shouldn't create a racial identity.
I've actually been told that by people on this forum.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:19 PM

Why the surprise? Do you think Germans consider German-Americans fellow Germans or Europeans?
African-Americans are so far away from Africa in every way, why would Africans consider them Africans? From the perspective of Africans African-Americans are like any US-Americans, just dark-skinned...

Old 10-25-2011, 01:23 PM

7,006 posts, read 7,002,106 times
Blame the racist liberals. They love to characterize people specifically by race so that it will play cleanly into the Democrat's identity politics and the race card can always be played, no matter the subject.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:25 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,433,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
latinos were never considered white.
You obviously have very little experience with the diversity of Latin America and Latin Americans. AGAIN, Latinos are of every shade and race. It is not a racial designation!!

I suspect you live in the SW, where everyone is Mexican?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis
ive never come across a latino who said they were white.
Visit Miami someday. Or Argentina.

Quote:
tired of this white is right, bs. people dont buy that crap anymore, even though whites try to keep sell it.
Who is selling "white is right?" These days, many whites lament Latinos automatically getting assigned an "oppressed minority" pass based on certain wrong assumptions:

1) That all Latinos look alike
2) That all Latinos share culture
3) That all Latinos have the same experience as minorities in America

Quote:
the hispanics who want to be labeled white are as pathetic as the whites who tan all day and want to be black.
Only some Latinos ARE white... and the mixed ones who are majority white are prohibited from claiming a part of their identity, why? Because you said so? What if someone was only 1/6th black... are we going to say it's pathetic for them to identify with that part of them in at least some way?

And btw, no white person tans to because they want to be black! That would be an awful amount of tanner!

Old 10-25-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Blame the racist liberals. They love to characterize people in various colors so that race plays cleanly into Democrat's identity politics, and to show how 'tolerant' and 'progressive' they are.
Who invented the census? I assume it is quite an old ritual and nobody has simply dared to remove those questions from the forms yet.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:28 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,678,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Why is that? What do Asians and Middle Easterners have to do with it?

It's simple, if you are the citizen of an American country and of predominantly sub-Saharan genetic ancestry, you are an Afro-American. For instance most people in Bahia, Brazil are Afro-Americans, there is even an Afro-American community in Uruguay my friend there has told me. They stage one of the biggest Carnivals in the world there every year.
Afro-American peoples of the Americas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Everything

Many Asians & Middle easterners do have sub saharan African blood & mixture.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Everything

Many Asians & Middle easterners do have sub saharan African blood & mixture.
Well, if you go back that far in time, I am African as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies