Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 10:17 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times

Advertisements

"Person of color" is my least favorite Politically correct word. It's like calling fat people "persons of size" (which I'd like to trademark, btw)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 10:22 AM

3,359 posts, read 7,326,665 times
'Person of color' is beautiful to me, and shows depth and vastness....

Color is beautiful...I much prefer that over 'black'...made up by a college professior in the 60's....

Put 'black' on your application or in a add...and people already think they know you based on negitave stereotypes...

Put down 'Person of color'...and it arouses their curiosity...and start seeing you more as an induvisual....

Old 10-26-2011, 10:25 AM

We're not all the same anymore...and 'color' allows room for varience...

I don't want to be mentally lumped in with hardened street felons in Miami, in my job application, when they see the term 'black'....

Old 10-26-2011, 10:47 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
I guess we're all different...cause I much more prefer the word 'color' over the mundane and highly stigmatized 'black'....

I think the term 'person of color' allows me to not be boxed into some narrow visual image of a thugged out, mean faced dude from the inner city with very little or no education or perceptive skills....

Color, at least to me, tells people that I have a vast and varying past...and is inclusive of varying ancestry I may have...

I prefer the mystery that comes with 'color'...the pluralness....

'black' has never and will never describe who and what I am....at least not in this society...

I hate, loath, being lumped in with city dwelling, saggy pants wearing, males, and SE city dwelling arrogant bloated females as well....

That is not my culture...sure we share a common skin tone, but that is not my culture...

An example of this:

I remember one time I was having a discussion with a DOT officer...he looked at my license and said 'Say, don't be offended, but what are you?'

Even though license stated 'black'...I did not 'feel' black to him...

When I told him I had Seminole indian in me as well, his face lit up, and he totally started relating to me in a whole different manner...as if I were human to him again...

What I'm saying is...as a 'black'...the officer just treated me like a 'template'...a character template...very one dimensional...

But when I told him I had Seminole in me as well...he just lit up...and started talking to me like I was human, rather than a souless, hardwired 'black' from the city with urban issues and predictable mannerisms and attitude....

It's all about perceptions...I was still the same person, but to the officer, cause I had 'indian' in me...his whole deminor just changed...

He was like 'I knew it!!'....

And that's society at broad...that white officer reflected societies overall perception of 'blacks'...or the images that term brings up in their head...
very thoughtful post...I enjoyed it. Unless I miss my guess it appears you would agree that language is a lens, and it's important to take care with language. Of course language does evolve to and nobody wants 'language police' telling us what words we can and can't use.

You do understand that 'person of color' (as normally defined) refers to 'everything except white.' In other words, 'person of color' is defined to include Latino, Asian, Indian--everything except white. To me it is problematic to divide the world into 'white' and 'all else.' Here is a good essay about it.
Language Log: People of color

Old 10-26-2011, 10:53 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,029,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
'Person of color' is beautiful to me, and shows depth and vastness....

Color is beautiful...I much prefer that over 'black'...made up by a college professior in the 60's....

Put 'black' on your application or in a add...and people already think they know you based on negitave stereotypes...

Put down 'Person of color'...and it arouses their curiosity...and start seeing you more as an induvisual....
So where does that leave us non-"of color" people?
Not so beautiful, I guess?
Psssh.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:53 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,793 times
Doesn't matter what term you use, classifying black people as black, hispanic as hispanic, etc is completely racist with the following exceptions:

- Hiring practices
- Student admissions and scholarships
- Running for political office
- Becoming a professional athlete

In these cases it's rewarded.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
very thoughtful post...I enjoyed it. Unless I miss my guess it appears you would agree that language is a lens, and it's important to take care with language. Of course language does evolve to and nobody wants 'language police' telling us what words we can and can't use.

You do understand that 'person of color' (as normally defined) refers to 'everything except white.' In other words, 'person of color' is defined to include Latino, Asian, Indian--everything except white. To me it is problematic to divide the world into 'white' and 'all else.' Here is a good essay about it.
Language Log: People of color
Ok, I'll check it out...I know these following terms may have negative connitations, do to the fact that they've been hi-jacked by 'white' supremist groups...

But I think 'Aryon' is a beautiful name...(but I know skinheads and racists have hijacked the term...so sad)...or even 'anglo'....I like that too...
I think both terms describe a people who come from an area of the world rich in culture and folklore...

But again, unfortunatly the 'racist' have hi-jacked both those terms, and similuar terms, and have given them negitave intentions...I think well behaved, nice kind reasonable 'whites' should reclaim those terms...and make them beautiful again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
So where does that leave us non-"of color" people?
Not so beautiful, I guess?
Psssh.
Heck no....but what you gotta understand is 'white' is already associated with beauty...by default....

It's like a default setting...if your 'white' people just assume your beautiful, and have postitive character traits, until they meet you and you proove otherwise....with 'black'...your considered a ugly dragon, until you proove your not...stereotypes can be both positive and negitave...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
Doesn't matter what term you use, classifying black people as black, hispanic as hispanic, etc is completely racist with the following exceptions:

- Hiring practices
- Student admissions and scholarships
- Running for political office
- Becoming a professional athlete

In these cases it's rewarded.
Unfortunatly...during the transatlantic slave trade, that was done by design...the slaves were deliberatly stripped of their language, heritage, culture, tribe identity...

Stripped of everything...their new purpose was to be no more than a human tool...for the slave handlers knew that as long as people have or had a connection with their past, it would arouse pride, thus resistance...

So the first thing that went was 'identity'....
Basically stripped of past identity, and not allowed a new one...'nothing'...

Just a living tool....

And to me the term 'black' is just a continuation of that....simply a generic branding....a generic post slavery branding....

Old 10-26-2011, 11:49 AM

4,911 posts, read 3,430,619 times
The term "people of color" dates back to at least the time of James Madison

Old 10-26-2011, 11:56 AM

4,911 posts, read 3,430,619 times
The American Colonization Society (in full, The Society for the Colonization of Free People of Color of America), founded in 1816

American Colonization Society - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-26-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
The term "people of color" dates back to at least the time of James Madison
Well they need to bring it back then, cause I wasn't alive then and didn't get to experience that richness of term....

Africa is a vast continent...not everyone of slave ancestry comes from one singular place, language, culture in Africa...to me 'color' better describes the richness of that continent...than does 'black'...

Not to mention the vast variations of genetics you find amongst American 'blacks' these days...from those who mixed with Indians, Asians, whites, Hispanics...Arabs ect ect...

'Blacks' look different depending on what part of the country your from...the closer you dwell near the Carolinas and Missisippi shoreline communities, the more 'African' blacks still look...geneticly almost unchanged in color or biological structure since plymouth rock...

But as you spread northward or westward...blacks start biologically changing...are lighter skinned, taller, have different non traditional face features, and that's do to a varience of sex partners....

Like Hispanic blacks, puertarican blacks, south American blacks...ect ect...

the term 'Black' makes the assumption that they're all the same...that they're all Ice Cubes 'Boys-in-the hood' type of folks....

So so not true....color simply allows for varience, and doesn't lock everyone into the same identity or past...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies