Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 03:23 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,198,821 times

Advertisements

This is a dramatic overreaction. Capping student loan payments at 10-15% of income is NOT free, not even close, for those who earn a low to average average salary it's a big chunk of their income, as income increases they end up paying the amount they would owe anyway. Forcing lower income students to pay more only gives them less money to put into the economy because the banks are taking it all. Forcing students who can't afford it to pay more on their student loans means a lot less money going into the economy, it means the younger generation handing much of their income over to the banks, so they have a lot less to spend elsewhere, this hurts my business, and most US businesses who aren't banks. I wish people would think abut the bigger picture before jumping on the "they want a free ride" bandwagon, which is total BS anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

3,498 posts, read 2,218,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Kim View Post
Then send an extra check with your next tax return.

Do you?
No, do you? The topic of the thread isn't about me, it's about funding education. But alas, once again it becomes about the individual. Attack the messenger so you don't have to deal with the message.

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
This is exactly why the OWS movement has become the laughing stock of this country. Nothing is ever free and it's ignorant to believe otherwise.

Well stated, and thank you for knowing the difference. Nothing is ever free in life, and when someone is telling you something now is! Run the other way, nothing is free without a catch.

And to believe that everything in life should be free, is more then ignorant.

1,568 posts, read 1,551,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasy Tokoro View Post
I'll need to research this more to make a completely correct statement, but I believe private colleges pretty much set their own tuitions.

My opinion is this: In this society where to get a decent job you need a slip of paper that says you CAN do the job regardless of whether or not you could before getting slip of paper, there should be an option where there is a government-subsidized college paid for by responsible tax use (which will never happen, because our government will never responsibly use taxes).

In my personal opinion, if paying higher taxes mean better quality of life, then I'm all for it.
Do you send an extra check?

Old 10-26-2011, 03:24 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,281,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
My student loan didn't cover all of my tuition, let alone books, fees, and certainly not room and board. I still had to shell out money out of my pocket. Perhaps education shouldn't be free, but it should be affordable. I have no problem having my taxes used to educate our citizens.
I worked graveyard full time for years, had no loans and paid my college, rent, insurance, food and the rest. I was very poor during that time as is appropriate.
Some people's entitlement mentality is destroying any chance this nation has to ever be solvent again.
I think the President hasn't caught on yet that trying to lead the USA is NOT the same as playing monopoly. The guy for sure has several screws loose.

9,949 posts, read 8,852,274 times
Quote:
My student loan didn't cover all of my tuition, let alone books, fees, and certainly not room and board. I still had to shell out money out of my pocket. Perhaps education shouldn't be free, but it should be affordable. I have no problem having my taxes used to educate our citizens.
Then run down to the nearest college and give random students your money, I'm sure they'll accept it.

396 posts, read 906,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Ok senshi lets make it all free to anyone who wants to attend. Now who will pay the teachers, pay for the facilities, books, computers, libraries, etc. etc. etc.? Maybe you havn't noticed but this country is coming up on being 15 TRILLION dollars in debt. Have you seen the salaries some of these professors make? Maybe go protest them.
Ends the wars? Tax the rich?

Man how can we afford that k-12 free education? Where everyone gets it. It's not even a choice like college is! Better charge for that! Education is only for the rich!

Absolutely amazing to see how people yearn for the days of feudalism.

Quote:
No, do you?
No. I don't take the position that taxpayers should be on the hook for your student loans.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:25 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,850,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasy Tokoro View Post
>College will be free

As well it should be.

At least, lower-tier colleges anyways.
How about we do away with the child tax credit to pay for the lower tier colleges?

Old 10-26-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senshi View Post
Ends the wars? Tax the rich?

Man how can we afford that k-12 free education? Where everyone gets it. It's not even a choice like college is! Better charge for that! Education is only for the rich!

Absolutely amazing to see how people yearn for the days of feudalism.
What's the dropout rate in government schools?

So you just want other people to pay for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies