Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2011, 12:54 AM

1,568 posts, read 1,552,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Wrong, More than 44,000 Americans die every year – 122 every day – due to lack of health insurance. --http://www.pnhp.org/excessdeaths/hea...-US-adults.pdf
That's a junk stat cooked up by a group that lobbied for Obamacare.

It was debunked by this one.

http://healthblog.ncpa.org/does-lack...-probably-not/

Quote:
Last year, a report by Families USA made the astounding claim that 6 people die every day in Florida because they are uninsured. Seven die every day in Texas, 8 in California, and 25 in New York.
So the premise is, if you were uninsured for even one day, and eventually died, it was because you were uninsured.

What crap.

Last edited by CaseyB; 10-29-2011 at 07:33 PM.. Reason: copyright
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 12:58 AM

8,214 posts, read 16,703,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Kim View Post
It's a plan for a few million people subsidized by the rest of the country.

Who do costs get shifted to if 310,000,000 people are on the VA plan?
In the same way every other industrialized nation in the world does it. Where do you think all your money and insurance premiums goes now? To making these huge health insurance companies wealthier.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:00 AM

Quote:
In the same way every other industrialized nation in the world does it. Where do you think all your money and insurance premiums goes now? To making these huge health insurance companies wealthier.
No, they have government imposed shortages.

I like my health care.

Government's promises are worth nothing.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:03 AM

33,543 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Here is the problem with your health care system and why it is not affordable for so many people....It is not the government. It is the insurance corporations that make it so expensive.

Cigna earned about $1.35 billion, or $4.89 per share, on $21.25 billion in revenue in 2010. That was up from $1.3 billion, or $4.73 per share, on $18.41 billion in revenue in 2009. The insurer’s medical membership climbed 4 percent to 11.4 million people compared to the final quarter of 2009,

Cigna Corp. CEO David M. Cordani received compensation valued at $15.1 million last year from the Philadelphia managed-care company, according to an Associated Press analysis of a regulatory filing Friday. http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2011/07/...alth-care.html

This is one company that reaped this profit insuring only 11.4 million people...Can you imagine how much the total cost and profit of all the insurers is? As long as these corporations are involved there is no possible way that insurance cost will ever be reasonable...

Notice that I live in British Columbia, and here we have excellent care at a reasonable price...My monthly premiums are $60.50, and before someone pipes in about how much tax we pay...We pay less here than you folks in the US do....Look it up if you doubt me.

Last edited by sanspeur; 10-29-2011 at 01:05 AM.. Reason: forgot link

Old 10-29-2011, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Here is the problem with your health care system and why it is not affordable for so many people....It is not the government. It is the insurance corporations that make it so expensive.

Cigna earned about $1.35 billion, or $4.89 per share, on $21.25 billion in revenue in 2010. That was up from $1.3 billion, or $4.73 per share, on $18.41 billion in revenue in 2009. The insurer’s medical membership climbed 4 percent to 11.4 million people compared to the final quarter of 2009,

Cigna Corp. CEO David M. Cordani received compensation valued at $15.1 million last year from the Philadelphia managed-care company, according to an Associated Press analysis of a regulatory filing Friday.

This is one company that reaped this profit insuring only 11.4 million people...Can you imagine how much the total profit of all the insurers is? As long as these corporations are involved there is no possible way that insurance cost will ever be reasonable...

Notice that I live in British Columbia, and here we have excellent care at a reasonable price...My monthly premiums are $60.50, and before someone pipes in about how much tax we pay...We pay less here than you folks in the US do....Look it up if you doubt me.
Eliminating profit doesn't guarantee Americans will get all the insurance they want at a price they are willing to pay.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:05 AM

Quote:
That's a junk stat cooked up by a group that lobbied for Obamacare.
You are missing the main point in an attempt to absolve yourself from the real issue that there are millions of uninsured and underinsured Americans. And yes, many will die due to lack of coverage. You can try and nitpick articles and studies with opposing views regarding numbers. But the fact still remains that millions of Americans go uninsured bottom line.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:08 AM

Quote:
You are missing the main point in an attempt to absolve yourself from the real issue that there are millions of uninsured and underinsured Americans. And yes, many will die due to lack of coverage. You can try and nitpick articles and studies with opposing views. But the fact still remains that millions of Ameircans go uninsured bottom line.
They get health care. Everyone dies.

Screw government telling me what health insurance to have.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:13 AM

This will help.

It's about 12 million, not 47 million. And those 12 million people move in and out of insurance, so it's not the same 12 million people.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:24 AM

Quote:
They get health care. Everyone dies.

Screw government telling me what health insurance to have.
Well, then all I can offer is to live and learn at this point. Everyone has there own choice to make. But I think you will discover that the insurance companies which you put your faith and trust in now are just as bad and in most cases worse than the Gov't you mistrust to oversee them.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Well, then all I can offer is to live and learn at this point. Everyone has there own choice to make. But I think you will discover that the insurance companies which you put your faith and trust in now are just as bad and in most cases worse than the Gov't you mistrust to oversee them.
Private insurance is a conract into which you enter freely.

Government wants to disrupt the health insurance for all but 12 million Americans for more promises it can't afford to keep.

Who wants that? I don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies