Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 01:02 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Mr. Miyagi say, "Best way no get hit, no be there."

You may see government as one, big bad out to get the little people. However I am indicative of most folks I know. We don't see government as one entity, but as something made up of parts, large and small, some good, some bad. It's easy to become presumptive based on emotion and the fact that this man was injured is sad. But if you hang out with people who are not acting within the confines of the law, you had better be prepared to suffer the consequences.

Not that this takes away from the sadness of someone getting hurt, but did you know that the injured marine, Scott Olsen, is the founder of the website, "IHatetheMarines.com"? Makes a person question his motives for wearing his Marine Corp uniform to the protest.

Occupy Oakland Protester admits bottles were thrown at Police BEFORE police responded - YouTube
The GOP has made the argument that government is bad, period.

And "you don't have to be there", guess Martin Luther King, and the Vietnam war protestors should have just stayed home.

What country do you folks live in. It sure as hell isn't the one that has mottos like live free or die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
FYI - Defenseless people generally don't throw rocks and bottles at police officers prior to the police doing anything.
And all of them were throwing bottles and rocks? Even police on site said that maybe 1% of the protestors acted like that, the rest were attacked without warrant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 01:05 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,853,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
And all of them were throwing bottles and rocks? Even police on site said that maybe 1% of the protestors acted like that, the rest were attacked without warrant.
100% of the people in that group were aware of the situation, they were aware that they had been ordered to leave and they all chose to stay therefore they aligned themselves with a group that was attacking police officers and chose to deal with the consequences.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:06 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,639,314 times
Quote:
He was wearing his uniform. A little respect for a man who fought for your freedoms.

Maybe you folks should read some news articles, watch some video, and understand whats really happeneing.

You may not agree with the protestors message, but that doesn't mean they don't have a right to be protected from police abuse.
Well, I doubt they were aiming at him. And besides, anyone could be posing in a uniform, but still, sad as it is, that he turned out to be a real vet, he was involved in something that was becoming out of control and ended up being a casualty.

I believe in freedom and as little government control as possible, but everyone has a voice and rights that need to be respected. What are the police supposed to do when a situation is getting out of control; mobs are not obeying the laws and creating not only a public nuisance but a safety concern for other citizens?

Remember, other citizens have a right to the police enforcement of laws agreed to via peaceful means, for which they are paying for.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:19 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
Two things....

TV Coverage?

Occupying TV news - WWW.THEDAILY.COM
First off, the OWS folks have spent weeks camping out in protest, they were first ignored, then denigrated. Secondly, FOX relentlessly promoted the Tea Party and CNN also has Tea Party spokesmen and spokeswomen on their networks. Can you say the same about people from OWS getting actual people from their movement explaining their positions? I've not heard either network give the movements participants any air time. Hmmm......

Your source offers no statistics, just a simple bar graph for the intellectually incurious to draw conclusions (kinda like the Tea Party and conservatives in general)

The Tea Party is well represented in the media. OWS? Not so much.

Quote:
Secondly, again you post NO facts to support your allegations regarding the Tea Party.

An intelligent, thoughtful person would be given to think that is because you cannot come up with an unbiased source for your claims.
You think the corporate underwriters of this astroturf movement are going to reveal where the gravy comes from? It could be Rupert Murdoch, it could be the Koch brothers, it could be Wall Street. Considering the Tea Party represents all three, and all three are flush with cash, financing wont be a problem

Old 10-29-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
But we DO know of the blatant discrimination against the Tea Party and in favor of Occupy by our Government that goes on in full view of everyone as pointed out in this thread.

You can guess all you want as to something or you can discuss the given facts.
I make my decisions not based on propaganda but based on observable information, which is:

A) The Tea Party has lots of representation in the media, at least on FOX and CNN. Most of it is positive on both networks.

B) The OWS does not have its voice represented on either network, and when the movement is covered the coverage is often dismissive or derogatory.

That's two mainstream media examples of this "double standard" you are complaining about. The Tea Party represents the confluence of the consolidated media and the wealthy. The OWS is protesting against both, to use two examples.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
You just used "the daily" Rupert Murdoch's new ipad/internet right wing propaganda outlet
Well, that explains that then.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
No, I used the study by the MRC.

I wouldn't expect that a left-leaning media fact checking organization would actually take the time to research an issue such as this one--especially when it would reveal their own bias.

A Tale of Two Protests: Media Cheer Wall Street Occupiers But Jeered Tea Partiers

So, here's the entire study. I posted the condensed version because I know how much y'all hate to read anything that disturbs the favorable MSM force that surrounds you.
OMG. The "Media Research Center"

Rupert has you folks on a short leash. Let's look at this group: Here is a snippet:

Quote:
The Business & Media Institute (BMI) is dedicated to "Advancing the Culture of Free Enterprise in America." Formerly the Free Market Project, BMI is the business and economics division of the MRC and is the only organization dedicated to correcting the media's anti-free enterprise biased reports and to promoting a fair portrayal of the business community in the news and entertainment media.
Gee, I wonder how this propaganda outlet is going to report the "news"

Old 10-29-2011, 01:49 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,484,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I make my decisions not based on propaganda but based on observable information, which is:

A) The Tea Party has lots of representation in the media, at least on FOX and CNN. Most of it is positive on both networks.

B) The OWS does not have its voice represented on either network, and when the movement is covered the coverage is often dismissive or derogatory.

That's two mainstream media examples of this "double standard" you are complaining about. The Tea Party represents the confluence of the consolidated media and the wealthy. The OWS is protesting against both, to use two examples.

Delusional.

Old 10-29-2011, 02:07 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times
Quote:
Please provide the proof of the "blatant discrimination" against the tea party in which you speak?

Democrats are supporting OWS, and Republicans supported the TEA party.

opposite side of the same coin, many just don't seem to like it when the protesting is against their side, instead of for it.
Charging fees to one group and not the other isn't discrimination?

Old 10-29-2011, 02:19 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,639,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Charging fees to one group and not the other isn't discrimination?
Pretty obvious, isn't it.

(But some want to deflect from this FACT with tangential, subjective complaints of unequal air time, unproven claims of disproportionate, private/optional financial backing and other irrelevant arguments.) Not real surprising...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies