Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2011, 08:06 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
It was the largest expansion of government in our history...
I think you are confusing land with government.
How did governments powers increase with the purchase?
Controlling the harbor of New Orleans was key since that allowed goods to travel up and down the Mississippi without a foreign entity controling it. I still don't see how that is a part of big government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 08:07 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
It was the largest expansion of government in our history...
Only if you measure in square miles. The great expansion of the federal government into the lives of Americans is primarily a post Civil War phenomena, particularly since the New Deal.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:50 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Only if you measure in square miles. The great expansion of the federal government into the lives of Americans is primarily a post Civil War phenomena, particularly since the New Deal.
Really? Who governed those states? How many politicians came about because of that expansion?

Old 12-11-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
I think you are confusing land with government.
How did governments powers increase with the purchase?
Controlling the harbor of New Orleans was key since that allowed goods to travel up and down the Mississippi without a foreign entity controling it. I still don't see how that is a part of big government.
Land requires expansion of governments. States require all sort of increases in governments including congressmen and women. They then petition the government for more funds and more resources.

I'm not saying it was wrong, I was required or have another government take that land over and exert its influence on your government.

It was, in fact, an increase in the federal government simply because of your constitution.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:14 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Your assertion is, states as a fact, that "bloated deficits" caused the crisis.
Even the CBO said that our GDP will drop 2% because of the Obama stimulus bill, starting in 2015. Thats $300 billion A YEAR which will disappear from our economy, causing higher unemployment, less growth, less tax revenues, higher deficits etc.

Tell me MTA, what part of this is supposed to be a positive?

Old 12-11-2011, 09:16 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
GDP is meaningless. Why quote it? Government digs a hole, government fills up the hole, government pays someone to supervise. GDP increases.
The debt is ignored. thx for playing next
Economics is not a morality play. As far as creating aggregate demand is concerned, spending is spending – public spending is as good as but also no better than private spending, spending on bombs is as good as spending on public parks.

Rap stars pay good money for gaudy bathrooms that I may consider a waste but the money they spend pays real people who then re-spend that money. Macro economics doesn't judge the worthiness of the transactions.

With respect to debt, your way of thinking is that economic growth isn’t “real†if there was spurred via debt. Well, we really did produce all the goods and services counted in GDP; we were able to do that because we had willing workers, a sufficient capital stock, the right technology, and so on.

When I bought my last car, I borrowed the money. Yet, the salesmen really did earn a commission; the dealership really did make a profit; the factory really did hire workers to build it and the steel company got a sale. The idea that economic growth is a fantasy if it was debt financed is a fantasy of its own.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:23 PM

Are you really arguing that government spends money efficiently?

Spending $1,000 on a toilet seat isn't money spent efficiently.

Effciency does matter.

Let's say for example that we spend money on a $1,000 toilet seat.

That money doesn't go to creating more efficiency. That money goes to some Mfg. who made a ridiculous profit from said deal. Why did they make such a profit? Because they had nothing more than profit motive pushing them with no accountability.

No one on the free market would buy that toilet seat which is why government doesn't work. Then promoting efficiency.

Those Mfg'ers would love some government contracts for toilet seats.

Last edited by BigJon3475; 12-11-2011 at 09:46 PM..

Old 12-11-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Even the CBO said that our GDP will drop 2% because of the Obama stimulus bill, starting in 2015.
link?

Old 12-11-2011, 09:51 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
Quote:
Are you really arguing that government spends money efficiently?

Spending $1,000 on a toilet seat isn't money spent efficiently.

Effciency does matter.

Let's say for example that we spend money on a $1,000 toilet seat.

That money doesn't go to creating more efficiency. That money goes to some Mfg. who made a ridiculous profit from said deal. Why did they make such a profit? Because they had nothing more than profit motive pushing them with no accountability.

No one on the free market would buy that toilet seat which is why government doesn't work. Then promoting efficiency.

Those Mfg'ers would love some government contracts for toilet seats.
But wouldn't those profits on the $1000 toilet seat create jobs? I keep hearing that tax cuts on millionaire or necessary for that same purpose.

But seriously, most federal money goes directly into jobs. People make up over 80% of all expenditures in all agencies, and middle class jobs tend to pass straight through into consumption. Federal employees, like all other Americans, don't save more than about 5% of their income, so generally government jobs are pretty efficient and creating consumption in real time.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
But seriously, most federal money goes directly into jobs. People make up over 80% of all expenditures in all agencies, and middle class jobs tend to pass straight through into consumption. Federal employees, like all other Americans, don't save more than about 5% of their income, so generally government jobs are pretty efficient and creating consumption in real time.
I don't know where you get your information but federal employees account for 5% of federal expenditures. The federal government mostly pays contractors for services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies