Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2011, 07:10 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
They aren't productive members of society if they're living on welfare handouts.
We will have to agree to disagree. I don't think earning a paycheck is the only measure of a productive member of society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 07:12 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I will ask you again since you seem to be dodging the question. Please provide hard evidence backing up your assertions. You are making these wild, erroneous claims and are not validating them with a shred of evidence.

Which disabilities are fraudulent?

You think that being able to live without nursing care equates to being able to hold down a FT job. Seriously? It is quite obvious you haven't a clue of what you are talking about.
I would say all the new types of disabilities added since 1965 are frauds.

That's why we see so many perfectly healthy people laying around the welfare offices, using food stamps and Medicaid.

And yes, if you don't need nursing care, help to get up to use the bathroom for example, feed yourself, dress yourself, if you can walk, see, turn on the television, get to the grocery store, you can get off your rear end and go to work.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Which ones?

Quote:
That's why we see so many perfectly healthy people laying around the welfare offices, using food stamps and Medicaid.
I don't go to the welfare office. Do you? How do you know what type of people are there every day?

Quote:
And yes, if you don't need nursing care, help to get up to use the bathroom for example, feed yourself, dress yourself, if you can walk, see, turn on the television, get to the grocery store, you can get off your rear end and go to work.
LOL!!! I am thinking of this guy I know. Now, we aren't friends or anything but I've known the guy for years because of school and seeing him around town. He was in SpEd classes his whole academic career. He graduated when he was 21. He is on SSI now. (We are in our 30s) He lives alone in a highrise and does not require nursing care. But the man is moderately retarded. He is unable to hold down a full time job because of his disabilities.

You are trying to make this big black and white line in the sand and it is not going to work.

You are wrong. You have not a clue about disabilities and how they affect people's lives either. I suggest you do some research of SOME kind and form an educated opinion on the subject!

Old 11-03-2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Which ones?

I don't go to the welfare office. Do you? How do you know what type of people are there every day?

LOL!!! I am thinking of this guy I know. Now, we aren't friends or anything but I've known the guy for years because of school and seeing him around town. He was in SpEd classes his whole academic career. He graduated when he was 21. He is on SSI now. (We are in our 30s) He lives alone in a highrise and does not require nursing care. But the man is moderately retarded. He is unable to hold down a full time job because of his disabilities.

You are trying to make this big black and white line in the sand and it is not going to work.

You are wrong. You have not a clue about disabilities and how they affect people's lives either. I suggest you do some research of SOME kind and form an educated opinion on the subject!
There are jobs the mildly retarded can do. Plenty of jobs -- but instead we're having to import millions of unskilled immigrants to do them because the citizens prefer to lay around doing nothing with themselves.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:24 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,154,109 times
Quote:

There's a lot of fraud out there, for sure. And I hate it!!!

But there's a lot of very legitimately ill people who can turn on their televisions, dress themselves, walk, see and make it to a grocery store; who are not capable of working a steady job. And for those people, achieving those things is a huge accomplishment for them. You see it as ordinary and typical; a lot those people have to work extremely hard and go through enormous amounts of pain....... just to accomplish those things

Like I said, this all a matter of intelligence and civility. Your absurd generalization makes for a good soundbyte of venting of frustration over the actual fraud that occurs, but it in no way retains any slither of reality or truth in the real world, in regards to people with actual, legitimate issues.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:26 AM

Quote:
There are jobs the mildly retarded can do. Plenty of jobs -- but instead we're having to import millions of unskilled immigrants to do them because the citizens prefer to lay around doing nothing with themselves.
Yes, there are jobs that they can do but they almost NEVER get hired because the general public doesn't trust them! Nor does the general public believe a mildly retarded person can perform job functions correctly.

Now, in my area we have this:

URSWEB . About Our Agency

I don't know about other areas. But even still, many of the people in this program cannot support themselves with the jobs they get. They NEED assistance to survive.

And I HAVE NO CLUE what unskilled immigrants have to do with disabled Americans receiving SSI! Way out of left field there. Wow!

Old 11-03-2011, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMyTree View Post
There's a lot of fraud out there, for sure. And I hate it!!!

But there's a lot of very legitimately ill people who can turn on their televisions, dress themselves, walk, see and make it to a grocery store; who are not capable of working a steady job. And for those people, achieving those things is a huge accomplishment for them. You see it as ordinary and typical; a lot those people have to work extremely hard and go through enormous amounts of pain....... just to accomplish those things

Like I said, this all a matter of intelligence and civility. Your absurd generalization makes for a good soundbyte of venting of frustration over the actual fraud that occurs, but it in no way retains any slither of reality or truth in the real world, in regards to people with actual, legitimate issues.

Yes, exactly. There are many disabilities where people have good and bad days. What employer is going to put up with a disabled person calling off every other day when their disabilities prevent them from getting to work?

Old 11-03-2011, 08:06 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times
Quote:

Yes, exactly. There are many disabilities where people have good and bad days. What employer is going to put up with a disabled person calling off every other day when their disabilities prevent them from getting to work?
You are right on the money with that comment...I know two people who are on SSI personally and I know that both of them have days where they almost get around normal,but if you see them a week later they are headed to or just returning from the hospital with a major problem...if you didn't know them or their history it would be easy to misjudge them as healthy and lazy which they are far from....if they had a job the employer would fire them the second they started missing work.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Yes, there are jobs that they can do but they almost NEVER get hired because the general public doesn't trust them! Nor does the general public believe a mildly retarded person can perform job functions correctly.

Now, in my area we have this:

URSWEB . About Our Agency

I don't know about other areas. But even still, many of the people in this program cannot support themselves with the jobs they get. They NEED assistance to survive.

And I HAVE NO CLUE what unskilled immigrants have to do with disabled Americans receiving SSI! Way out of left field there. Wow!
40% of Washington DC is on welfare -- but we all know 40% of that city is not disabled.

And yes, we are bringing in tens of millions unskilled uneducated illegals because too many Americans can claim some disability and live their lives off welfare handouts. Mild retardation is obviously no excuse because it doesn't take an IQ of 120 to pick a head of lettuce.

People have to stop thinking that work is horrible. Work is actually very beneficial to someone, even if you have some little pain, laying around all day isn't going to help, getting your mind off your aches and pains by working can help you more. Work is therapeutic, work is good.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:12 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,241,939 times
Quote:

Sure we agree with you. Please point the way for someone that wants to hire a disabled person. Hard enough for whole body people to find work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies