Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 06:53 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I'm astounded the authorities in Oakland are continuing to allow this to go on. You are correct somebody will end up getting killed. When they do they will all be screaming "why didn't the city do anything". Mark my words. Just bulldoze em all into the bay.
The Oakland Mayor is enabling the protestors and their violence:

Occupy Oakland: Mayor Quan Issues Contrite Statement after Police Crackdown | City Brights: Aimee Allison | an SFGate.com blog

Oakland Mayor Jean Quan - Public Figure - Oakland, CA - Discussions | Facebook

http://www.opoa.org/uncategorized/an-open-letter-to-the-citizens-of-oakland-from-the-oakland-police-officers%E2%80%99-association/ (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 07:08 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Self defense.
bull****. Both the protester and the driver share some blame here, but it was not self defense. The videos show clearly what happened:

1. It's a green light and the car tries to go...gets impatient with jaywalking protesters and honks horn.

2. Some wiseguy protester decides to step in front and purposefully block the car.

3. Car driver gets more upset and escalates things by gently nudging into protester.

4. Protester then gets pissed as well and pounds on the hood.

5. Car driver loses temper and steps on the gas.

It's a case of tit for tat between two macho men who are long on temper but short on rational thinking. The protester was a douche and shouldn't have tried to impede the car. But the car driver was also should have cooled it and not escalated by nudging into the guy. Then the hood pounding wouldn't have started. That protester may have been a dick, but the driver could have killed him - and running someone over in anger after they pound the hood of your car after you honked at them and nudged into them is NOT going to cut it as self defense in a court of law...the protester would have had to do more than that in order to make this argument hold weight.

And mind you, I'm not an OWS supporter. I don't like the violence that went down there the last few nights.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:11 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
bull****. Both the protester and the driver share some blame here, but it was not self defense. The videos show clearly what happened:

1. It's a green light and the car tries to go...gets impatient with jaywalking protesters and honks horn.

2. Some wiseguy protester decides to step in front and purposefully block the car. His first mistake

3. Car driver gets more upset and escalates things by gently nudging into protester. A clue to get out of the way.

4. Protester then gets pissed as well and pounds on the hood. Escalating the perceived threat to the driver and showing violent intent.

5. Car driver loses temper and steps on the gas. Driver escapes the threat.

It's a case of tit for tat between two macho men who are long on temper but short on rational thinking. The protester was a douche and shouldn't have tried to impede the car. But the car driver was also should have cooled it and not escalated by nudging into the guy. Then the hood pounding wouldn't have started. That protester may have been a dick, but the driver could have killed him - and running someone over in anger after they pound the hood of your car after you honked at them and nudged into them is NOT going to cut it as self defense in a court of law...the protester would have had to do more than that in order to make this argument hold weight.

And mind you, I'm not an OWS supporter. I don't like the violence that went down there the last few nights.
People start banging on my vehicle in a threatening manner, surrounding it, not allowing me a way to get to safety: I'm stepping on the gas pedal to rather than waiting to be pulled out of the vehicle and killed by a violent mob. YMMV.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:18 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Every damn day some new BS comes out this morass - yeah it's just like the Tea Party crowd.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:06 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
They want to get on the news, push the cops to respond then squeal "police brutality". Then the mass of keyboard loons like we have even here jump and squeal about rights being violated and on and on. I think it's about time for the cops to break some heads. These kooks are now violating others freedom who want to simply drive down the road. The more they allow it the more they will push.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:19 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
I bet those punk asses would have gotten out of the way of my 3/4 ton 4x4 Chevy Diesel. They would have made a nice hood ornament.

Honestly some people need to be put down like the rabid animals they portray. Saw this just after it happened on the local news our here.

I suspect they'd end up more of a driveshaft ornament, than a hood ornament. Would be fun to be in the middle of that crowd with a chipped diesel...smoke anyone?

Old 11-04-2011, 09:05 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,415,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
The Oakland Mayor is enabling the protestors and their violence:

Occupy Oakland: Mayor Quan Issues Contrite Statement after Police Crackdown | City Brights: Aimee Allison | an SFGate.com blog

Oakland Mayor Jean Quan - Public Figure - Oakland, CA - Discussions | Facebook

An Open Letter to the Citizens of Oakland from the Oakland Police Officers (http://www.opoa.org/uncategorized/an-open-letter-to-the-citizens-of-oakland-from-the-oakland-police-officers%E2%80%99-association/ - broken link)
The Oakland mayor is another liberal politician who can't come to grips with the reality taking place before her eyes. She is an epic failure as mayor of Oakland.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:32 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Got what he deserved.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:44 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,415,085 times
If I am ever in a crowd pounding on my car, I will drive away to protect myself from violent people.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:32 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,168,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post

2. Some wiseguy protester decides to step in front and purposefully block the car.

3. Car driver gets more upset and escalates things by gently nudging into protester.

4. Protester then gets pissed as well and pounds on the hood.

5. Car driver loses temper and steps on the gas.

If not for the illegal actions of the people that got run over, this wold not have happened in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies