Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 10:04 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,741,554 times

Advertisements

I've noticed recently that a lot of right leaning CD posters use the term "ghetto" as a derogatory term towards people they clearly want to degrade. The term is usually thrown in with other terms like thug and gangsta which they also use in a derogatory way.

What's with the left's hate for people who live in ghettos?

Am I missing something? And before you try to attack me, I don't live in a ghetto or a housing project... I'm just asking a question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 11:00 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,979,061 times
Horrid amounts of violent crime is the biggest reason.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:18 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
I've noticed recently that a lot of right leaning CD posters use the term "ghetto" as a derogatory term towards people they clearly want to degrade. The term is usually thrown in with other terms like thug and gangsta which they also use in a derogatory way.

Am I missing something? And before you try to attack me, I don't live in a ghetto or a housing project... I'm just asking a question.
Do all conservatives have that attitude? I wonder because I am surely one of those people and I don't think like that, at all. Did you mean for your second question to say left's or did you plan for it to be right?

Old 11-05-2011, 11:56 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,851,320 times
Here, let me see if I can explain it like the *******s explained it in my thread which you copied.

"We have a negative view of people who live in ghettos just like liberals have a negative view of people who live in trailer parks. You're a racist"

Old 11-06-2011, 12:08 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Felon, repeat offender and gang-banger are negative terms too; and, often associated with certain (but not all) individuals who live in a "ghetto". Does the OP have a problem with those words too?

Old 11-06-2011, 12:08 AM

1,569 posts, read 2,044,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Here, let me see if I can explain it like the *******s explained it in my thread which you copied.

"We have a negative view of people who live in ghettos just like liberals have a negative view of people who live in trailer parks. You're a racist"
I have a negative view of both.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:23 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
If I may, a soundtrack for the discussion:

Too Short - The Ghetto - YouTube

Old 11-06-2011, 01:36 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,208,835 times
Quote:

Trust me, I Was born poor. I lived in the ghetto... I have a friend that currently lives in probably the worst public housing project in Oklahoma City(Will Rogers courts). It is a total craphole, drug dealers and prostitutes walk around all the time.

Not all the people in those environments are "bad", but there are plenty that are. And the ghetto culture(IE rap music) is nothing to be admired. I'm almost convinced that anyone living in the ghetto and who has children is committing child abuse.

But I don't like projects anyway... they end up being nothing more than a kennel for criminals and the clinically insane. We put them there and basically forget about them, while saying how compassionate we are.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:25 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,690 times
Quote:

Fact:

Living in the ghetto for a couple of years is bad luck, living in the ghetto for 10 years or more is a choice.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:32 AM

1,147 posts, read 909,289 times
Some of the hardest working people I know come from the worst ghettos one has ever seen. Then again, I'm not a conservative (or a liberal).

A lot of folks in bad areas like that are working 2 jobs. Some working 3 to 4 depending on what they can get with PT work. They weren't born with that silver college spoon in their mouths, so they have to do what they have to do.

If you think you hate those ghetto denizens living on welfare and trading food stamps for booz, imagine what it must be like to get off the bus or train and go walking past one of them, while you're headed home to catch 4 hours sleep before you head to your next job. Oh those people do exist. Many more than you realize.

The thing is though, they're too busy to scream and yell about it. So they grumble a bit and keep going. Any minute they waste complaining is a minute they could've spent sleeping.

So it makes you wonder how so many "hard working" conservatives find the time to rant about folks in the ghetto, when they've never even seen it first hand beyond passing through on a shortcut route their GPS gave them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies