Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 06:42 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately he hits a major artery and it's lights out for him.

Spotsylvania man inadvertently shoots self in Giant parking lot - Crime Scene - The Washington Post

Quote:
The 45-year-old man apparently reached down to buckle or remove his seatbelt and inadvertently pulled the trigger on a Glock 40-caliber handgun he was carrying, said Capt. Elizabeth Scott, the public information officer for the Spotsylvania County Sheriff’s Office.

The weapon fired a round into his hip, delivering what would prove to be a fatal wound, Scott said.

“If you’re going to be carrying a weapon, know your weapon and know that it should always be in a holster,” she said. “A good holster, you’re not going to be able to accidentally hit the trigger.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 06:59 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,523,004 times
Ahhhh.... another Glock .40 accident. Reminds me of this YouTube viral classic.

DEA Agent shoots himself in front of a class full of kids while lecturing them about gun safety - YouTube

DEA Agent to school children: "... Fify' Cent, Too Short, all a' dem' talk about Glock .40. Okay... I'm the only one in this room professional enough... that I know of.... to carry this Glock .40" [half second later, shoots himself in the foot] **BANG**.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:00 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
words to live by

Quote:
“If you’re going to be carrying a weapon, know your weapon and know that it should always be in a holster,” she said. “A good holster, you’re not going to be able to accidentally hit the trigger.”
Hope that wasn't a malfunction by a poor holster design like the Blackhawk Serpa.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:13 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
That's the same thing that happened to footballer Plaxico Burris, who also shot himself with his Glock. Don't carry a Glock without a hoster. The Glock plastic holsters are excellent and very inexpensive--less than $15 when I bought mine, albeit that was years ago . Glocks do not have safetys, other than a small lever embedded in the trigger, which reduces the chance of the gun going off if dropped. Jeff Cooper said that putting the safety in the trigger is like printing the combination to a safe on the safe. But Gaston Glock's philosophy was always simplicity, so he didn't want any extra levers or buttons on the gun.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:16 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
This tragedy could have been avoided if only we banned possession of all firearms by all people except the government

Old 11-14-2011, 07:23 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,087,650 times
Yea, if shot all the criminals we wouldn't have to carry firearms.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:25 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,523,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Hope that wasn't a malfunction by a poor holster design like the Blackhawk Serpa.

The Tacti-Kewl dudes are rather fond of Blackhawk and whether that holster is the source of accidents seems to be hotly contested on gun forums. Aide from bickering over calibers, it's almost the equivalent of arguing abortion on a political forum, with pro and anti Serpa factions. Some say any holster accident should be considered a user error, others disagree and say we should take design into account.

I shot myself! Original Upload! - YouTube - Here's another holster accident that just happened to a notable YouTube 'gun guy.' Though he rightfully blames it on himself and doesn't try to pawn it all off on the holster.

I think he was wearing a Serpa holster when he did that.... He took that shot like a man, though, so I'll give him points for his level headedness after having just ripped a .45 ACP bullet through his leg.

Opinion: Blackhawk SERPA and Tex Grebners Mishap - YouTube - This guy weighs in on the Serpa and Tex's accident. (in case anyone cares...)

Old 11-14-2011, 07:34 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,198,193 times
I like my 1911 for this reason

Sucks for the dude, though, but IDK if this is necessarily political or controversial.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:38 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Interesting video that I had not seen before. The guy said that he had been practicing with his Glock earlier, and had switched to a 1911 Kimber when he shot himself. I've always believed in KISS (keep it simple, stupid) when it comes to guns. Pick one system, and stick with it. IMO it does not pay to bounce around from one system to another.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:44 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
I like my 1911 for this reason

Sucks for the dude, though, but IDK if this is necessarily political or controversial.
A 1911 vs Glock discussion makes for controversey. BTW, I picked the 1911 for the same reason. I grew up on rifles, I like a conventional safety and single action trigger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies